“Beware, cleaning staff are thieves....”

SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
Ranked #154 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Beware, cleaning staff are thieves....”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 7nights with our 2 kids (14 & 10). Besides the breakfast staff being extremely nice, the rest are questionable. You should never have to ask for toilet paper from housekeeping who failed to replace at all, as well as shampoo more than once, because they did not replenish at all unless we called for more. These are very basic items that are a given in most hotel, especially when you are spending over $300- a night.
The day of check out we asked for 1 hour extra as our flight was in the late afternoon, and we were refused point blank.... After check out while on the plane from JFK to San Diego, we realized that my husband had left my sons samsung tablet in the room. We are 100% sure it was there because it never left the room the whole week. It was left on the desk in the room under his bag that he just picked up to vacate room and did not see it underneath. When we arrived back in San
Diego we immediately called the hotel, which was late at night, and told they could not do anything now, to call either, Nick, Nate or Darcel in the morning and they can help. Well, we called and were told they were busy and would call us back..... Waiting waiting no phone call. So we called again, and 2 more times after and we're still given the run around. My husband finally got really upset and was then put on to Ramon, the person in charge of lost and found, who knew nothing of the situation, told us nothing was handed in, did not even ask our room number to check with the housekeeping person, but said he would call us back. To our surprise he never called. We finally spoke with Gina Nevel who said she would look into the matter and for us to call her back the following day. So we did and were told it was her day off.... Seriously, like she did not know this. In the mean time 2 days have passed and no manager was told of the issue and housekeeping has gotten away with the bonus of a 10yr olds prized possession. It is too late to ever find it. And still management has no idea of the issue as we are unable to talk to anyone.
With a company as big as Marriott you would expect more, yes, granted it was my husbands fault we accept that, but what we do not is the lack of help we received from a company like this...
My question is, are they all thieves..... Lock up your belongings in the safe provided you never know if it was the same housekeeping person....

Room Tip: Lock up your valuables, it may be the last time you see them... The staff is not trust worthy!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Helena M
SpringHillSuitesNYC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Jacqueline C

I am so sorry that your stay was less than what you had expected. I understand the frustration of requesting items and not receiving them. Our housekeeping staff is tops in the city and I will share your comments with them as we usually place extra ammenities in the room when we know our guests are staying for an extended period of time.

I also wanted to apologize for the lack of follow up from my managers. Marriott takes missing items very seriously, and we have had no cases of theft at our hotel. We also do a very in depth checks on all of our staff at the hotel They had investigated it fully and had not found any missing items in the room. They did call back right away but were able to connect with you due to your travel schedule. When they did connect with you, they took your statements seriously and checked with everyone that worked to ensure we were not missing something.

I do apologize for the breakdown in follow up and communication. It is not something that happens here and when it does we take it very seriously. I have spoken with all of my staff and managers . I have also searched myself and reviewed all reports and I am sorry to say we have still no located the missing items. This is definitely not something of the norm as our reviews attest to.

I do appreciate the nice comments about our breakfast team, and that portion of your stay went well. They were pleased to hear you enjoyed their service.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband related this story to me about a wonderful act of kindness extended to him by this hotel's breakfast staff. He loves to start his day with a glass of orange juice. One day, there was no orange juice left when he went to breakfast. The staff, Jeffrey, Crystal and Michelle went out of their way to go out and buy some orange juice and delivered it to his room. It is so nice to know that when he is away on business, he stays at a hotel with such wonderful, caring staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Linda H
Nick C, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hello Linda,

Thank you for your great review on your stay at our hotel. I am very happy to hear that Jeffrey, Crystal, and Michelle made such a positive impact on your husbands stay at our hotel. Our food and beverage team truly understands the importance of the small details to make an impact on our guest's stay. I will make sure that the staff is recognized for their efforts. Thank you again for your time and review, we hope to have you stay with us again for your next trip.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had to make an absolute last-second business trip to NYC for a meeting with a client and wasn't able to book until 11pm the night before. I landed this hotel via a Priceline express deal (and had done some research to pretty much know 100% before-hand I would be getting this property). Needless to say all the positive feedback contained in previous reviews held true for my one-night stay. The staff was extremely helpful and outgoing. I was placed in a nice studio suite with a king bed on the 7th floor. The room was spotless and had everything a business traveler on his own could need. The free wifi and free breakfast was also a plus. Its location is perfectly central for those wanting to traverse all parts of Manhattan. If I ever have to return to NYC for business, I will try my best to stay at this property again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Hello S000NR1,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your last minute business trip. I am glad that you found our staff to be helpful and outgoing, and that you thoroughly enjoyed your room on the 7th floor. Our housekeeping department does a great job making sure our guest rooms are spotless for our guest’s checking in. Thank you very much for your kind words again, and I am glad we were able to make your stay an enjoyable one. We will definitely look forward to having you stay at our hotel for your next trip.

Take Care and Thank you Again,
Warwick, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel is in a very central position, views of Empire State Building from our window. We had a room with 2 Queen size beds, very comfortable. Minimal noise from the street. Hotel has got guest laundry service and a very good gym. Hotel also supplied 2 computers and a printer that you can use. Breakfast exceeded expectation although only between 6 until 9 am. Hotel is in an excellent central location to explore the city. Staff are very friendly and helpful. This review was written with the help of my whole family, so as you can see we all recommend it.
Service to a high standard.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Jan K
Good Afternoon Jan K,

Thank you for your great review on your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback so that we can use it to improve our hotel for our current and future guest’s. I am delighted that you found our room with two queen size beds to be very comfortable. Our complimentary breakfast is a great way to start your day! As you mentioned the hotel has a great central location to see all the sights of the city. Most importantly I am happy to hear that you found our staff service to be very friendly and helpful during your stay. Thank you for your recommendation, it is greatly appreciated. Have a safe trip and we look forward to having you stay with us next time.

Safe Travels,
Meriden, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Staff member Crystal was over the top to make sure guests were cared for. I was observing her deal with guests who were rude. She was beyond professional. Would love to have staff like her working for me.

Room Tip: Ask for view of Empire State Building.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank heavyp123
Nick C, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Hi Heavyp123,

Thank you for ackowledging Crystal from our F/B team! Crystal does a great job making sure our guest's are well taken care of during our complimnetary breakfast service. I will be sure to let her know how pleased you were with her level of service and hard work.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Convenient location but not sure if parking is available. Recently new construction and better than old fashion ones. Friendly staff especially the Operation Manager. Air conditioning unit in our suite is noisy. Need to improve. Breakfast is a plus

Room Tip: ask for a quieter air conditioning unit room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank La2i .
Hello La2i,

Thank you for your review on your stay at our hotel. I'm gald to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, brand new rooms, and breakfast. We do have valet parking available at our hotel. Our doorman out front of the hotel is always ready to assist our guest's with their parking needs. Next time if you stay with us please ask if you are unsure of anything or need assistance at all, we always have someone on staff ready to help with any of your travel needs. Thank you again.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is new and clean, but the best part of this hotel is the food and beverage service, Jeff, Michelle, and Crystal all made breakfast very nice. They made sure there was plenty of everything, constantly cleaning up the area so the guests could get in and out of breakfast quickly. The breakfast was very good with plenty of choices including eggs and the best turkey sausage ever. Jeff welcomed everyone each morning with a warm and welcoming greeting. We had a great stay.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank pennie b
Hi Pennie,

I am delighted to hear that our breakfast staff made such a positive impact on your stay with us. Crystal, Jeff, and Michelle truly understand the importance of starting our guest’s day off right with a smile . I will be sure to share your feedback with the entire team, and thank our F/B staff for their great service during your stay with us. I hope you will join us again for your next trip to New York.

Safe Travels,