“Great location, clean place”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square
Ranked #102 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Montreal, Canada
“Great location, clean place”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

booked a night there before a cruise. We were impressed by the location: blocks away from time square, hudson and Macy's opposite the street with their wonderful Xmas windows.
Reception was very pro, check out a breeze (done before waking up...) and in between the room was very clean...as well as the bathroom. Bedding was quality.
We had to call for the bunk bed to be made as it wasn't and linen were missing.
However this is NYC so don't expect to sleep deep, too much action going on...probably dreamed like in a NYPD TV serie due to permanent sirens outside...

Room Tip: try an "interior" room if you need a quiet environment.
3 Thank earthflyers
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear earthflyers,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Herald Square. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay before your cruise. We are appreciative of all of your feedback, especially regarding the ambient noise as it helps us to improve the guest experience. We look forward to having you back again soon. Thank you for the review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orangeburg, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This was my first stay in this hotel; one of the newer ones in Manhattan, which my daughter selected for me and my two grandchildren (11 and 8). So new in fact our taxi drivers weren't familiar with it. This hotel won't be unknown for long because it is well-placed being within walking distance to all an out-of-town sight-seer wants to visit. It also has the friendliest staff I've ever encountered in any hotel. That goes from the doorman/porter, reception, housekeeping and the hotel's restaurant staff. I hope this friendly efficiency is maintained. It's worth staying there just to be treated so helpfully and respectfully.
The layout is modern, spacious with the reception area expanding into a comfortable lobby which extends to the dining area. It was easy to navigate, which many hotels are not, and my grandchildren felt very much at home; able to order food and wander around all within eye-shot of me. I appreciated that. We all like the decor, which is an achievement - to meet the approval of all age groups. It really had the feel of a boutique hotel without the pretension and the cost.
The room met all the standards of a Marriott room, with their great bed. However, we had ask for a featherless room as my granddaughter is very allergic to feathers. That fact had not been communicated to the hotel. They eventually found a couple of foam pillows for one of the beds. We were given a room on the 13th floor with a great view which delighted my grandchildren.
My only complaint, and it is a serious one, is being disturbed for several hours after midnight by the thumping music from a roof lounge. Calls to the front desk didn't help and it was explained after a second call that the lounge didn't close until 4am.
At check out, I was offered points and an apology, which were appreciated but that didn't eliminate being bleary-eyed all day.
I would definitely recommend this hotel. However, be advised - find out if the will be playing loud music. You might have to sacrifice the view for a room on one of the lower floors.

Room Tip: A roof lounge has loud music. A lower floor advisable.
3 Thank Vivian G
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Vivian G,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Your feedback is much appreciated. We strive to exceed the expectations of our guests. We especially appreciate your candid feedback regarding the rooftop lounge as it helps us to improve moving forward. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you for the review.
Greenlawn, New York
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Great price for the location. Clean comfortable room right in the middle of East and West subway lines. Walking distance to Penn station and times square. Will stay again. Had a decent view of herald square too.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrrpi99
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear mrrpi99,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you back again soon. Thank you for the great review!
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 23 December 2013

1) Too much noise...After reading reviews about the noise on higher floors due to the club, we booked a lower floor room. Unfortunately, there was way too much street noise even on the seventh floor. Passing vehicles made it impossible to have even one good night's sleep. You would expect Marriott to figure out double glazed windows to keep the noise out!!

2) Our chambermaid recycled our bathroom floor mat by just folding it and keeping it as if it was a fresh one. When I unfolded it, it had stain and hair. Gross, right!?? Our toiletries were not replenished on Day 1 & 2!! Our table was not wiped for the entire 7 days we stayed!

3) The room doesn't provide for basic amenities like slippers, robes, cotton swabs, bottle openers etc. the staff will ask you to go down to the lobby if u need a wine or even beer bottle opened, they do not even have the courtesy to send someone up!

4) The worst concierges I have seen!! Manny, one of the concierges was esoecially rude. He made nasty comments about our luggage, saying they were way too heavy and we need a "weightlifter". Turned out all our bags were under 50 pounds at the airport! Other concierges were either lost or too busy mingling with guests going up to the lounge to attend to resident guest concerns.

I would seriously sack my staff if they were so rude to my guests.

I dont think I want to re-visit this place anytime again. Have loved some Marriott properties and the service, this one seemed to be a place where there was no semblance of service. Very very disappointed!!!

Room Tip: A good room is any room not in this hotel!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Seema K
Dear Seema K,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I deeply regret that your stay did not meet your expectations. We apologize for the experience you had. Since receiving your review, we have used your feedback as topics of training for the associates. Please feel free to contact me directly by dialing the hotel should you wish to discuss or share anything further. Thank you for the review.
Slingerlands, New York
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Everything was going great-ideal location, next to Herald Square. Friendly, welcoming staff, otherwise I would not have found the lobby which is on the second level. Very pleasant checking, and upgraded to an "executive king" room, at the end of the fourth floor corridor.

The room was comfortable....windows on two walls. Funny how you don't notice street noise when you are awake!

I was prepared for the loud music upstairs as per previous reviews, so I thought that I would be fine on 4. Wrong! Horns, sirens all night long, slept for short periods.

To a quieter neighborhood next visit. I have been at most of the Marriotts in Manhattan, and first time for this.

Room Tip: High up, and not at the end of a corridor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Rhapsodyinblue
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Rhapsodyinblue,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I deeply regret that your experience did not meet your expectations and we extend our sincere apologies. We appreciate your candid feedback and will use it to improve the guest experience in the future. Thank you for the review.
Limeira, Sp
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Location was walking distance to much of what we wanted to do, in front of Herald square Subway, near Macy departament store!. Rooms were clean and beds were wonderfull. The staff was very helpful with anything we asked! HIGHLY recommended!

Room Tip: Room 410 have a great open-air porch!!
3 Thank cfeola
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear cfeola,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you for the great review!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Purchased hotel through Priceline - was thrilled to get the Marriott after seeing the $184/night price, discounted at 66%. After reading other reviews that advised getting a room on the lower floors, we did just that via telephone and was told we could get floor 14 or 15.

Upon arrival, however, we were denied our initial request. And, after we stated specifically that we read reviews that warned us of the loud music and bass on the weekends, the front desk went from friendly to, "Don't worry, you won't hear anything. Did you read that on trip advisor?" Us - "Yes..." Front desk, "Yeah, you won't hear it...it'll be fine".

It was fine during the regular weeknight, but come Friday and Saturday night, the bass was going until the rooftop bar closed, which was 4am. I finally fell asleep at 3:30am due to exhaustion both Fri and Sat nights.

I called Saturday to request a room change because the music and bass were so loud (music noticeably louder Saturday night because I could hear Beyonce's voice from 2 floors above!!) and was curtly told, "Talk to the front desk at check out". How the heck was that supposed to help me when I was trying to fall asleep then?!

So, despite having a terrific view of the Empire State Building and Herald Square, the view did not make up for the lack of sleep.

This would easily be a 5/5 if you stay on floors that are 4 floors (or more to be safe) away from the rooftop bar (directly above 17th floor so I felt even worse for them).

The room itself was great - large, modern and very clean, with a comfy king bed and sofabed. The bathroom was spacious and the cleaning service and bellmen were excellent.

Location was FABULOUS! Times Square was a quick walk 7 blocks north and the entrance to the BDF and M subway lines was literally steps from the Marriott's front door. This was especially helpful during the time it snowed and poured rain.

This was my 6th trip to NYC in 8 years and each time I try a different hotel (although I was very close to staying at the Sofitel for a 2nd time because it's that good). I wish we had been given the lower room as requested and ok'd via telephone, but I guess you get what you pay for (which is unfortunate that a great deal comes at the expense of quality) because the Priceline deal was 66% discounted. I was amazed that after booking with Priceline, I looked at expedia and the Marriott website, and for the price of ONE night, I was able to book THREE nights with Priceline.

Would stay again if I had to, but only if I was given the lower floors because in NY, with all that gets done during the day, you need a good sleep at the end of it.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay on floors 16 or 17 Fri to Sun as the rooftop bar is open until 4am, and the music/bass w...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Ihearttofly
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Ihearttofly,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. We greatly appreciate your candid feedback. I apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We have since used your feedback during training with the team to address the service we provide to our guests. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you for the review.