“Room was fantastic--where was the service?”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square
Ranked #109 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Room was fantastic--where was the service?”
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I checked into this hotel last Thursday, which happened to be my birthday. We were thankful for an early check in and our room was fantastic. The room was quite spacious, clean, and had a great view of Macys. The room was clean and smelled fresh.
The service, however, was hit or miss. When we walked in we weren't sure where the front desk was. There was a valet standing by the elevators but we had to ask him where to go-- shouldn't he have anticipated our needs? The gentleman who checked us in was friendly and talkative. He recommended that we get a snack from the bistro. We went to our room and walked down to the bistro for a coffee and a cookie just to find the lady working there sweeping the floor. She didn't greet us, we had to ask if she was open. She said that they should have been open but her relief didn't come and she closed her drawer. She didn't even apologize for the inconvenience.
We asked a different front desk agent for suggestions for dinner and he recommended a restaurant in Times Square or the rooftop lounge at the hotel, which he said was open until 1am. After our show we tried the restaurant in Times Square recommended by the front desk agent and it was closed. So we didn't stop any place else because we were told the lounge at the hotel would be open until 1am. We had been looking forward to a drink while watching the snow fall, too. Nope. Lounge closed at 11. We tried to order food for delivery but no one would deliver in the snow storm. So we got chips from the giftshop.

Overall, our stay was good for what we got-- a good night's rest-- just no wow factor.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank tootandtugboat
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear tootandtugboat,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Herald Square. I deeply regret that your stay did not meet your expectations. With that said, we apologize for your experience. Your candid feedback is tremendous to us as it will be considered in on-going service training. Please feel free to contact me by dialing the hotel directly should you wish to discuss or share anything further. Thank you for the review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kannapolis, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is very modern and hip..... Just a few blocks from Times Square, within walking distance. In view of the Empire State building. The front desk people are very friendly and very helpful. I can't say enough nice about this hotel. If you are in the area stay here.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, as far as I know.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank theresa f
Dear theresa f,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Herald Square. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We would love to welcome you back again for your future trips to NY. Thank you for the great review!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014

booked a night there before a cruise. We were impressed by the location: blocks away from time square, hudson and Macy's opposite the street with their wonderful Xmas windows.
Reception was very pro, check out a breeze (done before waking up...) and in between the room was very clean...as well as the bathroom. Bedding was quality.
We had to call for the bunk bed to be made as it wasn't and linen were missing.
However this is NYC so don't expect to sleep deep, too much action going on...probably dreamed like in a NYPD TV serie due to permanent sirens outside...

Room Tip: try an "interior" room if you need a quiet environment.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank earthflyers
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear earthflyers,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Herald Square. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay before your cruise. We are appreciative of all of your feedback, especially regarding the ambient noise as it helps us to improve the guest experience. We look forward to having you back again soon. Thank you for the review.
Orangeburg, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This was my first stay in this hotel; one of the newer ones in Manhattan, which my daughter selected for me and my two grandchildren (11 and 8). So new in fact our taxi drivers weren't familiar with it. This hotel won't be unknown for long because it is well-placed being within walking distance to all an out-of-town sight-seer wants to visit. It also has the friendliest staff I've ever encountered in any hotel. That goes from the doorman/porter, reception, housekeeping and the hotel's restaurant staff. I hope this friendly efficiency is maintained. It's worth staying there just to be treated so helpfully and respectfully.
The layout is modern, spacious with the reception area expanding into a comfortable lobby which extends to the dining area. It was easy to navigate, which many hotels are not, and my grandchildren felt very much at home; able to order food and wander around all within eye-shot of me. I appreciated that. We all like the decor, which is an achievement - to meet the approval of all age groups. It really had the feel of a boutique hotel without the pretension and the cost.
The room met all the standards of a Marriott room, with their great bed. However, we had ask for a featherless room as my granddaughter is very allergic to feathers. That fact had not been communicated to the hotel. They eventually found a couple of foam pillows for one of the beds. We were given a room on the 13th floor with a great view which delighted my grandchildren.
My only complaint, and it is a serious one, is being disturbed for several hours after midnight by the thumping music from a roof lounge. Calls to the front desk didn't help and it was explained after a second call that the lounge didn't close until 4am.
At check out, I was offered points and an apology, which were appreciated but that didn't eliminate being bleary-eyed all day.
I would definitely recommend this hotel. However, be advised - find out if the will be playing loud music. You might have to sacrifice the view for a room on one of the lower floors.

Room Tip: A roof lounge has loud music. A lower floor advisable.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Vivian G
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Vivian G,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Your feedback is much appreciated. We strive to exceed the expectations of our guests. We especially appreciate your candid feedback regarding the rooftop lounge as it helps us to improve moving forward. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you for the review.
Greenlawn, New York
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Great price for the location. Clean comfortable room right in the middle of East and West subway lines. Walking distance to Penn station and times square. Will stay again. Had a decent view of herald square too.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrrpi99
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear mrrpi99,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you back again soon. Thank you for the great review!
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 23 December 2013

1) Too much noise...After reading reviews about the noise on higher floors due to the club, we booked a lower floor room. Unfortunately, there was way too much street noise even on the seventh floor. Passing vehicles made it impossible to have even one good night's sleep. You would expect Marriott to figure out double glazed windows to keep the noise out!!

2) Our chambermaid recycled our bathroom floor mat by just folding it and keeping it as if it was a fresh one. When I unfolded it, it had stain and hair. Gross, right!?? Our toiletries were not replenished on Day 1 & 2!! Our table was not wiped for the entire 7 days we stayed!

3) The room doesn't provide for basic amenities like slippers, robes, cotton swabs, bottle openers etc. the staff will ask you to go down to the lobby if u need a wine or even beer bottle opened, they do not even have the courtesy to send someone up!

4) The worst concierges I have seen!! Manny, one of the concierges was esoecially rude. He made nasty comments about our luggage, saying they were way too heavy and we need a "weightlifter". Turned out all our bags were under 50 pounds at the airport! Other concierges were either lost or too busy mingling with guests going up to the lounge to attend to resident guest concerns.

I would seriously sack my staff if they were so rude to my guests.

I dont think I want to re-visit this place anytime again. Have loved some Marriott properties and the service, this one seemed to be a place where there was no semblance of service. Very very disappointed!!!

Room Tip: A good room is any room not in this hotel!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Seema K
Dear Seema K,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I deeply regret that your stay did not meet your expectations. We apologize for the experience you had. Since receiving your review, we have used your feedback as topics of training for the associates. Please feel free to contact me directly by dialing the hotel should you wish to discuss or share anything further. Thank you for the review.
Slingerlands, New York
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Everything was going great-ideal location, next to Herald Square. Friendly, welcoming staff, otherwise I would not have found the lobby which is on the second level. Very pleasant checking, and upgraded to an "executive king" room, at the end of the fourth floor corridor.

The room was comfortable....windows on two walls. Funny how you don't notice street noise when you are awake!

I was prepared for the loud music upstairs as per previous reviews, so I thought that I would be fine on 4. Wrong! Horns, sirens all night long, slept for short periods.

To a quieter neighborhood next visit. I have been at most of the Marriotts in Manhattan, and first time for this.

Room Tip: High up, and not at the end of a corridor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Rhapsodyinblue
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Rhapsodyinblue,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I deeply regret that your experience did not meet your expectations and we extend our sincere apologies. We appreciate your candid feedback and will use it to improve the guest experience in the future. Thank you for the review.