“Very clean and conveniently-located property near Penn Station & Times Sq”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square
Ranked #109 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very clean and conveniently-located property near Penn Station & Times Sq”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Easy walk from Penn Station, quick check-in process with Jennifer, who was very friendly. Clean room on the 15th floor, perfect for my one night stay on business but would work for a longer leisure visit as well. Spacious bathroom, including a large walk-in shower. Room rates seem to vary widely 1-3 weeks before a stay (weekend nights seem cheaper than weekday) so keep that in mind if your dates are flexible.

Room Tip: High floor worked for me and even though I was near the elevator it wasn't loud
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear W T,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Herald Square. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, especially your kind words about Jennifer. I will be sure to share them with her. We look forward to being your hotel of choice when you visit New York. Thank you for the review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I recently spent 12 nights here. Hotel is near new. For my purposes, I found it to be very good. Location for shopping and shows is excellent. However, a couple of gripes - housekeeping was very hit and miss. Some days it was perfect but on a couple of days it was abysmal. Also doorman was reluctant to get me a cab, telling me it was easier for me to walk down to 6th Avenue and hail one myself. Easier for him! Same doorman tried several times to steer me into using a black SUV 'limo' rather than a taxi. Upon leaving the hotel I did use the black SUV as I had two heavy suitcases, a cabin bag plus a handbag so I took the easiest option although it was more expensive. Also, upon checkout, after staying 12 nights at over $5K, I expected to be asked if I had enjoyed myself, thanked for my custom etc. But the only response I got from the clerk checking me out was 'you're good to go', meaning I didn't owe any further money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank OzGirl20142014
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear OzGirl20142014,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Herald Square. We greatly appreciate all of your feedback and take it very seriously. Please accept our sincere apologies and know that your feedback will be used for further training with the associates. Please contact me directly by dialing the hotel should you wish to discuss or share anything further. Again, thank you for the review.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at this property in May 2014. It was a great experience all the way around. The front desk staff, were extremely friendly and remembered my name during my entire stay. The hotel is the perfect location on W 35th & 6th Ave - the subway is literally at the entrance. When I stay in NY, I always fly into JFK and take the Airtran / LIRR to get into the city. The hotel is a short 5 - 10 min walk Penn Station.

The room was slightly above average on space in NY, but the bathrooms are a great size. Very clean, great beds, and linens. If you're lucky, you'll get an amazing view of the Empire State Building.

There is also a rooftop bar at this property and it's pretty popular on the weekends. I stayed on the top floor of the hotel (Floor 17). I will warn you, I could hear the club / techno music from my room. It didn't keep me up, but it's certainly noticeable.

Overall, the best place to stay for a weekend with friends or your significant other. I would not recommend this to families with small children as this is a place for adults and working professionals.

Room Tip: If you're staying for a weekend - ask for any floor other than 17. The Rooftop bar music is noti...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Scott P,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Herald Square. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back whenever you visit New York. Thank you for the review.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here over Memorial Day weekend. Celebrating my Partner's 40th Birthday. The hotel was located next to the subway. Which was very convenient seeing as though we were traveling with bags. As we arrive, we were upgraded to the Executive King complimentary of the hotel. We stay on the 17th floor in room 11. The view was amazing. The room was perfect for two.

They also have The Rooftop lounge, great for picture taking.

Excellent customer service from:

Front Desk, the Security, Housekeeping and last but now least. The security guys at the lounge.

A Returning guest

Room Tip: Room 1711. Corner room with great views of Macy's and Empire State Building.
Dear Bdrizzle30,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Herald Square. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It was our pleasure to celebrate the special occasion with you. We look forward to being your hotel of choice in New York. Thank you for the review.
Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Clean modern rooms--good location.....Macy's within eyesight! A lounge on the roof with awesome views of The Empire State Building. Michael, the concierge was super friendly and very helpful with restaurant choices. Hotel staff and security were also helpful and friendly. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear SwissGrammy,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Herald Square. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our associates were helpful to you. I will certainly pass along the accolades to the team. We look forward to being your hotel of choice in New York and welcoming you back again soon. Thank you for the review.
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here over night after a broadway show. Very helpful staff, great new rooms which were small but the layout didn't make you feel crowded in. Highly recommend. Very close to Penn Station with plenty to do & see close by.

Dear LeslieMac23,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Herald Square. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay even if it was only for one night. We look forward to having you back again soon. Thank you for the review.
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a nice hotel....nice rooms and extremely convenient to subway entrance....steps form the lobby door....staff was very helpful and polite. Better value than staying in pricey times square hotels....modern rooms were clean, comfortable and well appointed.

Room Tip: higher rooms offer nice views
1 Thank bartpic
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear bartpic,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Herald Square. I am very happy to hear that you both enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We will be happy to have you back again soon. Thank you for your review.