“"Very good but not excellent”
Review of Le Gigot

Le Gigot
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Gigot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,472 of 13,823 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$31 - US$45
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: West Village
Cross street: West 4th Street
Transit: A, B, C, D, E, F & V trains to West 4th Street.
Description: Serving Provencal cuisine. Purity of ingredients and simplicity of preparation distinguish our specialties. Seasonal dishes are always introduced. A petite zinc bar, banquettes and floral arrangements foster a warm cozy ambiance, and an attentive staff ensures a customers' comfort and satisfaction.
Hartford, Connecticut
“"Very good but not excellent”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We picked this restaurant because of its Zagat rating for best french bistrot in NYC.
While the place has a great bistrot ambiance and the staff is very friendly and good I think the food was very good but not excellent as anticipated.
I had a cassoulet which would be fantastic for someone who never had cassoulet, but got to say "I make a better one" and I am not a professional cook.
My wife had a boeuf bourguignon and I believe they used almost the same base sauce for the cassoulet and the boeuf bourguignon and then added different meat, beans etc.
If you never had decent french food then you will mesmerized by the food, but if you have a palate well trained for french food, it will not be your best french meal.

New York City, New York
“Not what it used to be.”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Honestly, I am so embarrassed for my choice of a restaurant in front of my friends because I blindly relied on my dining experience here from 1998.
I guess back then, the place tried harder and was more driven to prove itself than today.
The difficulty of booking a table for six should have been my clue. Ignoring the lack of effort from the staff to sit my party, I pressed on.
Eventually, two people dropped off and we were "lucky" to get a table.
Can't say anything bad about the level of service. Friendly, helpful, watchful and reserved.
Food is the main reason for selecting Le Gigot and it was a lackluster. It wasn't bad. It was just middle of the road - ordinary. This place turned out much more memorable dishes back then.
What saved the evening was the company.
Very unfortunate. I really had fond memories of this place.

1 Thank vladmeisterNYC
New York
“Excellent”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is a restaurant that has all kthe ingredients. Great food, service, and ambiance. Because New York had a snowstorm a few days before we visited I called the owner during the afternoon to ask what the parking situation was on Cornelia Street. The owner didn't simply say fine she actually went outside and gave me a very good idea of what I would find. Great service.

For our dinner we had frisée salad and 6 Peters Point oysters (these are marvelous)Our main courses were the duck confit and the roast chicken. We shared the bread pudding. Each course was excellent. Our wine was a St. Emilion and it was very nice. I would say moderately priced. We try to visit every couple of months and it is always excellent. Very very highly recommended

new hampshire
“A wonderful experience”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My wife and I are frequent visitors to NYC, and are always looking for new, interesting restaurants. After walking by Le Gigot, we loved the feel of the place and decided to give it a try. The delightful woman who owns the restaurant greeted us so warmly, we felt as if we were long time customers. Dan, our server, who has been there for 15 years was very knowledgable about the offerings as well as the many interesting beers that are hard to find elsewhere. The leg of lamb could have been the best prepared and tasty lamb I have ever had. My wife's beef bour was outstanding. I could not recommend this place highly enough. Not big and flashy but warm and cozy, just an outstanding dining experience.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank arbd
USA
“Contrived Cassoulet”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We select restaurants because we love this surprisingly complex peasant meal,cassoulet. The chef at this restaurant is highly accomplished but didn't make the cassoulet properly. The ingredients didn't meld. The ingredients were added after the broth was made, not not slowly mixed infusing flavors from hours in the heat. The frisee salad was superb; the charcuterie was outstanding. But the main entree was highly disappointing.

Maybe it's a new chef? My beef bourginon was the same composed stew. Excellent sauce but the short ribs were added after the beef base was created. The ribs were probably held under the heater while the sauce was ladled into the bowl, and topped with the beef.

We informed the maitre d' who offered a dessert wine, very appreciated the gesture.

• Visited December 2013