“First-Time Reviewer - Great Hotel!”

Viceroy Central Park New York
Ranked #241 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I always refer to TripAdvisor reviews when looking for places to stay and despite best intentions whenever I’ve had particularly good or bad experiences, I’m sure like many 000’s, I haven’t actually signed-up to submit reviews myself, so here goes with my first…

I’ve been travelling to NY for years and have stayed in numerous Manhattan hotels and have many points of reference. Unfortunately far too many have been 5* hovels and I have all too short a list of those places that I actually look forward to coming back to.

We stayed in the Viceroy as a family treat for a weekend in a connecting suite with two rooms and we could not have been happier.

It is important to realise that this is a BRAND NEW hotel, it is not an existing run-down hotel that Viceroy have bought from someone else and simply rebadged, which then takes some years for the new owner to upgrade and reflect as theirs (as was the case when Jumeirah took over Essex House).

The bathrooms are exactly as they look in some of the pictures here, terrific walk-in showers and very cool. The beds are super comfortable and, in some contrast to the reviewer below who commented on noise, I have to say that the soundproofing to the street is excellent.

I have had many sleepless nights in the city that never sleeps, kept awake by street noise and fire trucks, but on this trip I actually forgot to ask for a high floor and it only struck me when I woke up in the morning that I’d just had a great night’s sleep on the 4th floor and in a room overlooking 57th street. That’s a rare treat!

Staff were very friendly, welcoming and eager to help and I would encourage anyone to pay little attention to the negative reviews and give this hotel a chance. We didn’t have any issues at all, but there are bound to be some kinks to iron-out, as anyone who’s ever put in a new bathroom, kitchen or simply redecorated at home will appreciate. I have no idea how many rooms there are, but even if only 100, that’s 100x your average home makeoever and, frustrating as it may be, just because one shower doesn’t work or have hot water, doesn’t mean the other 99 won’t.

We stayed in the hotel’s very first days a few weeks’ ago and the restaurant wasn’t yet open, so I can’t comment on that, except to say that the décor and fit-out looked great.

We’re looking forward to coming back and I’d recommend this hotel to anyone, or at least to anyone looking for a smart, top-notch hotel with upscale gadgets and amenities and, most importantly, a great night’s sleep. Anyone looking for a cavernous lobby might want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DarienBrits
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear DarienBrits,

Thank you for your comprehensive review on Viceroy New York .

It is gratifying when guests like yourselves take the time to look for all the positive's in their experience and show some understanding for a newly opened Hotel .

We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable time with your family and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,475)

Reviewed 28 October 2013

The location is perfect. With views of Central Park, walking distance to the theater district and my business breakfast and a design that is unmatched, this hotel makes the perfect stay for an extended business trip. The Hotel is beautiful and the staff was top notch. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever stayed in. I travel almost every week and never write reviews...I was so impressed that I felt the need to post something online. Great Hotel, great staff and great location.

Room Tip: get a high floor facing central park
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank camnatataNYC

Dear CamnatataNYC,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the recently opened Viceroy New York.

I was truly delighted to learn how you felt about your experience when you stayed with us.

It is indeed gratifying for myself and the team that as a result you felt compelled to write about your positive experience on Trip Advisor.

We all at Viceroy New York strive to ensure that we deliver a secure ,comfortable and hospitable stay for our Guests and we are delighted to have exceeded your expectations .

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed at the Viceroy just after it opened, so while I cannot speak to the restaurant or pool, etc, I can say that I was very pleased with the hotel staff and the overall room. The staff was super friendly and attentive, and while I will agree with some of the other reviewers that they did not always have the answers we were looking for, they were happy to find them for us. I'm sure with time this will continue to improve.

As for the rooms themselves, they were fun, creative, and comfortable. The only complaints I have are with the technology - we couldn't figure out how to use the complicated TV or music system, and the shower - pressure was not great for a hotel of this price point. There was a great coffee system and we found the room overall quiet and comfortable. There are some kinks to be worked out but overall, I great stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear Miskhael,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the newly opened Viceroy New York.

I was pleased to read your comments especially about the rooms facilities that you enjoyed such as the Illy Coffee Machine in each room.

I note your comments about the Technology in the room and we will certainly look into ways of ensuring that guests feel that it is accessible and easy to use.

Our team will be pleased to hear your great feedback and I will certainly share it with them.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Viceroy New York in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

The restaurant and bar is exactly what you want (but rarely find) in a luxury hotel - upscale but completely approachable and relaxed. It doesn't look like it has been open long but already it's busy and I'm not surprised, as I was a repeat customer on a short stay.

The rooms are NY sized but very stylishly designed. I found myself drawn to the super comfortable bed playing with the bedside Fingi smartphone, which controls your TV. I want one at my place! Instead of scrolling through dozens of channels looking for what you want to watch, within seconds you can just push the channel you want and know what show is playing. Genius but it's what you'd expect from a hotel with such impeccable customer service. Every time you walk by the Front Desk you feel completely at home. They are warm, friendly and completely on it.

My new go to hotel when I have business in midtown.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Noesf,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the recently opened Viceroy New York .

I am pleased to hear that enjoyed your stay and to hear your positive comments about Kingside Restaurant, our beds and the "impeccable service" that you experienced, I will be sure to pass your compliments to our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Viceroy New York in the future.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

The Viceroy just opened wwhich was a major reason I tried it-I knew it would be clean, my primary requirement for a hotel and it did not disappoint.
The rooms are quite small but it is NYC. I was surprised how little street noise entered the room, granted i was on the 23rd floor, but a big plus. Great, great staff. Great bed!
Will be back in a month or so.

Room Tip: We didn't get a chance to try the restaurant.
1  Thank mjd572

Dear MJD572,

We were delighted to read your positive comments about the cleanliness of the Hotel and I have shared these with our Housekeeping team who were very appreciative.

I am pleased that you were comfortable with our Beds and indeed we have received many similar compliments about the quality of the beds and Bedding.

I and the team look forward to welcoming you back to Viceroy New York in the future .

Reviewed 23 October 2013

If you enjoy hearing every single word from the room next door, you will love this place. Woe to you if you receive a room ending in 01 or 0/2--next to the elevator, plus you will hear all the if the happy and sad musings of the room next. I really wanted to like this place. What. a. mess. You will be happier at the Warwick.

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Mitraveling1

Dear Mitraveling1,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the newly opened Viceroy New York on your recent trip to New York City.

I am disappointed to hear your comments regarding noise during your stay.

We appreciate your feedback and rest assured that we will endeavor to address issues that we believe can affect any guest's enjoyment of their stay.

I do hope that you will consider returning to stay with us sometime in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed at this brand new hotel and had a great experience! I felt the staff was more eager than clueless and things went smoothly on my stay. The hotel brings a funkier downtown/younger feeling to midtown with its Mad Men-esque tribute to New York.

Two other details: the beds are super comfy and luxurious and the rooms have beats by dre speakers and macaroons. Nice touches.

Dear MitaliN,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the recently opened Viceroy New York .

We are always pleased when guests appreciate the things that make our Hotel special , like our eager employees and "super comfy beds".

As you recognize we do believe that we have a property that offers a wonderful midtown location with that downtown allure .

We do hope that we can welcome you back to Viceroy New York in the not too distant future.