“Nice location, Offered to hold luggage after I checked out which was a huge help!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Viceroy Central Park New York

Viceroy Central Park New York
Ranked #197 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Hotel was smaller than I thought it would be, and so was my room, but I learned a long time ago never to rely on website photos. But traveling alone and knowing I would not be spending a lot of time in the room except to sleep, I went with the least expensive room, the Superior at 250 feet. That really is not much, so I'll stay in a larger room next time, and also advise a higher floor because you will get more light that way. My room faced the "courtyard interior" (photo attached) and it was really just the backs of more buildings and lots of air conditioning units. When I ordered room service they had to turn sideways to get the tray through the door, so even if you're 1 person I would suggest going with the "Double" which is the only room that is 350 sq. ft. besides a suite or the penthouse. All the other rooms (Superior, Deluxe, Terrace, and Park View) are all 250 sq. ft. each! And if you can afford it, the Junior Suite is 350 sq. ft. (like the Double!), the Park Suite is 500 sq. ft,, and the Penthouse (oh la la) is a whopping 1200 sq. ft.! Anyway, back to my "Superior" room. I was in room 1010 and I have to say there was a bit of a creep factor to it because it was at the end of a hallway and, while all of the rooms were off of this hallway, my room and one other were through the door at the end of the hallway. You then were in a little vestibule and saw two doors for two rooms. It just felt a little isolated and creepy when the door closed behind you and you hand not opened your room door yet. I always hurried to open my door because I was afraid somebody would open the other room door and you're really isolated in that little vestibule all alone then. I think what happened is that there was one large room at the end of this hallway, and in the remodel the Viceroy converted that one room into 2 small 250 sq. ft. rooms, and added the two room doors but never removed the outer door to the original room door. I think they at least need to take that outer door off of the hinges and leave the doorway open with no door on it. It's creepy having to go through that door to get to your room door. Room service was good, but they did not bring you a glass of ice water with it, which I always thought was pretty standard. And with no ice bucket in the room and no ice machine around in visible sight on the floor but you can chill the very nice bottled Italian water they leave for you in your room (that's a nice touch :) in the mini bar fridge. I was trying to figure out what to do with my luggage after I checked out as I was seeing a Broadway show before leaving on the Amtrak, but as soon as I got to the lobby to check out, without even asking, a very handsome bellman asked if I would like to check my luggage. Nice! And the location of the Viceroy is perfect. It's 1-2 blocks from Central Park, 4-5 blocks from Radio City Music Hall, 1 block from 5th Avenue ... so all very walkable! With so many hotels already in NYC, and with all the new ones being built, I'll try a new one next time, especially since I wasn't offered a room upgrade and I did ask if they were completely booked the night I stayed. (They were not, and they did have nicer rooms available.) Of course they cannot offer upgrades to everyone, but it would have been nice if they had offered one to me because I did mention to the clerk at the front desk that I might want to upgrade my room and I would let her know. Furniture not very comfortable, but slept well in the bed, and the pillows and bed linens were very nice. Plenty of nice towels in the bathroom, and plenty of hot water, although my shampoo tube was half full, so perhaps they so not re-stock fresh amenities if the previous guest does not take theirs with them. So while there is room for improvement, they are trying and are very nice at the front desk and in a great location if you need a place in stay in this area and do not mind it being small. And there is plenty of nice seating in the lobby so it's a great place to meet up with friends if you're staying here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jackie P
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Jackie P,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review on your recent stay at the newly opened Viceroy New York.

I am pleased that you were happy with the service that was provided by the Viceroy New York Team.

I note your comments about the room that you were staying in and as you mention we have a number of different room types and sizes to suit different tastes and budgets. I note your comments regarding the outer door on these rooms and this has now been corrected, this door remains permanently open unless sold as connecting accommodations.

However all our room types offer wonderful amenities, like Illy Coffee machines, Beats by Dr Dre Speakers, luxury Bathrobes and slippers and also complimentary Wifi.

We also offer rooms and suites on higher floors with a front facing aspect that have fantastic views of the 57th Street Architecture and or Central Park.

Once again, thank you for sharing such a detailed review with Trip advisor readers , we appreciate the feedback and hope that you will consider a return visit to Viceroy New York in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary in New York and we were lucky enough to stay at the Viceroy. The hotel is in an ideal location, with rooms that are modern, spotless, and have incredibly comfortable beds, feather pillows and luxurious linens. The bathrooms are also modern and are nice sized. What makes this hotel truly extraordinary is the service. Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and special. This is truly a gem of a hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jmhc,

Congratulations on celebrating your 30th Wedding Anniversary.

We are pleased that you chose to celebrate at Viceroy New York and I am delighted to hear that your experience was such a positive one in what you describe as a 'gem of a hotel'

Our Housekeeping Team will be delighted to hear your description of the Hotel as 'spotless' and I will pass your comments on to them and the rest of the team whom you mentioned made you feel special .

We are always pleased to receive all feedback and especially happy when our efforts are recognized.

We hope that you may return to Viceroy New York in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Our pleasure vacation for our 28 year wedding anniversary began with a very early check in & guess what? Our room was ready at 7:00 a.m. To take a fast nap and regroup. The team of gracious hospitality is never ending. The location outstanding. The attention to detail unforgettable. Our evening concierge was fabulous in his dinner selections. The Viceroy knows the definition of hospitality! I love the fact for a beautiful new build, the room has windows that open. This is your NY hotel for business. Or pleasure.

Room Tip: Our room was 2305 & overlooked Central Park.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear YvonneDetert,

Thank you for your nice review .. we were delighted that you chose Viceroy New York to celebrate your 28th Wedding anniversary .

I will certainly pass on your positive comments to our expert Concierge team as well as our other team members who provided you with gracious hospitality during your stay.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Viceroy New York in the future.
nyc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

i stay in hotels in nyc on average of 30+ days a year---this is without a doubt the worst hotel i have ever experienced in nyc. the service is beyond bad….my room was not made up one day, another day, i returned to the room at 6pm and it was still not made up and it took three calls and another 1 1/2 hours to have cleaned. The room is attractive but so badly designed that it is unbelievable. the sink is located in the hallway near the door to the hallway, the closet is smaller than most gym lockers, there is a sharp edge around the base of the bed that is at the perfect hight to bump into. the list could go on and on…..i wouldn't think of putting my worse enemy in this hotel but then hotel management and designers should have to spend some time in the rooms for penance!
In short….don't go near this hell-hole!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
8 Thank Thomas3335
Dear Thomas3335,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Viceroy New York .

I am disappointed to read your comments and your choice of words in describing your experience.

We are very eager to hear our guests comments and do everything possible to correct issues when they arise.

We will certainly follow up on the issues that you have mentioned and I am grateful that you have brought them to my attention.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
Kings Lynn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights during the Marathon weekend.
The hotel has only been open about a month but there are no early day hiccups!
On arrival, you enter a really cool lobby with some very interesting artwork and a nice little library area at the rear. The staff here are exceptional. From the doorman to the receptionists, no one can do enough for you to make you stay enjoyable.
Check in was quick and easy and we headed up to our room on the 20th floor. Our Bags followed shortly after and we were given a briefing on our room. This is only really needed as the room is quite high tech with a smart phone type device operating most of the gadgets in the room! There is a TV, mini bar, safe, high end coffee machine, music station by Beats as well as iron and ironing board etc. You get a well stocked bathroom as well as robes and slippers.
The room we were in was not massive but certainly had everything we needed for a city break. There may have been a little lack of storage space had you been staying for a week or so?
The room had some really nice furniture and the bed was really comfortable. Our bathroom had a shower over a bath but our friends rooms only had a shower so check if you want both.
There is a pool and a roof bar but we didnt have time to visit either!
There is also a bar/restaurant attached and they look after the 24 hour rooms service for food and drinks. It has an amazing array of spirts and Tapas style food to pick at when in the bar. The prices here though are a little high.
The hotel is minutes from both Central Park and Time Square. Well within walking distance of both.
We would definately return to this hotel if we came to New York again.

Room Tip: I would imagine the street facing rooms offer a slightly better view than the rear facing property...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear LPML1977,

We were delighted to read your review about your recent stay at the newly opened Viceroy New York. Congratulations on running the Marathon - a great achievement.

It is immensely gratifying for me and the team when we hear that we have made someone's stay in New York City a satisfying experience.

I will be sure to pass your positive comments on to all our team on whom you have commented and commended , the Front Desk , Doormen , all who helped to create a memorable experience for you .

We hope that you stay with us again in the future and get to experience the Roof Top bar on the 29th floor opening in January and our relaxation pool.

Once again thank you for your thoughtful review.
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Viceroy is a nice hotel. Clean rooms, great location. But there are some major problems with there superior room catagory. I saw two rooms - Stayed in one for 5 days. I think these were both Superior rooms because I was in the least expensive room because I was on a work trip with a budget - but I'm still not sure how they categorize their rooms.

The first one was a tiny corner room 250 sq. ft. (they say) where you could barely walk around the bed. No room for luggage anywhere. No closet space. No Drawers. No luggage racks. Nice size bathroom. This room would be fine for one person. But not for two. All of the furniture has been custom made and every space is taken up by the amenities.

The second room 1706 (The one we stayed in) Had a long hallway leading in to the same small room 250 sq. ft. But for some reason the hallway makes it seems more spacious. The problems with this room are. The bathroom is tiny and the sink and mirror are in the hallway. (Great mirror - probably my favorite thing about the whole room). Like the previous room all the furniture has obviously been custom made. There is only one tiny closet next to the bed but you have to empty out everything to add probably a 1/4 of what you packed. If you like to unpack your clothes on a 5 day trip this is not the room for you. There is absolutely NO drawer space. For two people the closet is WAY too small. It's about 20 inches across with maybe about 12 inches of space for long items and the other space is for short items. You have to request luggage racks. You will be living out of your suitcase there is nowhere in this room to put anything. There is a lot of wasted space in the hallway. Only two little shelves under the sink in the hallway filled with towels. Also no view at all. View is of a building (You have to pay more for a view). There are also blackout curtains that don't let ANY light in. If you like to wake with the sun you have to leave the curtains open.

The beats by dre box is a nice touch. Overall the decor is nice but for the luxury hotel it's trying to be I would expect more.

No one showed us how to operate the phone, tv, etc...

I read in other reviews on here that there is a rooftop bar? No one showed it to us or even told us about it.

Most of the staff is lovely. But I encountered one major that doesn't know the first thing about customer service.

Kingside is not that great. (don't let the reviews fool you). Expensive and not worth it.

The good thing about this hotel is that it's new, it's in a great location and it's clean. If money isn't an option then I'm sure the suites are nice here. But for most of the public money is the first thing on their mind when traveling.

So I'm just being honest. Yes I had a good rate on a standard room, But I expected more from this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't get a corner room or by the elevator. Walls are very thin. Ask for the Superior room wit...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear LkinLA,

Thank you for your review of our recently opened Hotel - Viceroy New York .

We do appreciate the time that you have taken to explain the facilities that our rooms offer . I note that you particularly liked the Beats br Dre.

We will certainly pass on your comments to our team whom you said were 'lovely'.

I note the complaints about the size of your room and I am sorry to hear that it was not to your liking.

As you mention the Hotel will have a rooftop bar also and we anticipate that this will open in January 2014.

We do appreciate that you chose Viceroy New York on your recent visit and I hope that you may consider to stay again on another occasion .
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Viceroy overall is a nice hotel. Friendly staff and neat amenities however the rooms are very very small. It is great for couples but probably not family friendly. Hardly any closet space and the lighting in the room could be better. Rooms were clean, bed comfortable however walls are paper thin and you can hear your neighbors conversations very clearly. Also don't stay by an elevator. You will hear it every time is dings.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Angelbaby13,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay at Viceroy New York.

I note your satisfaction with our room amenities such as Complimentary Wi-Fi .I also appreciate you mentioning our friendly colleagues.

While we offer varying sizes of rooms, to suit different tastes , our standard room is certainly competitive within the market place while offering every essential amenity .

I do hope that you will stay with us again .