“new star in midtown”

Viceroy Central Park New York
Ranked #205 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed at the Viceroy during my last trip to NYC. Great Bar and Lobby , Rooms are a bit small but very well decorated . They do really have the technology down , loved the smart phone as the TV remote and front desk contact .

Room Tip: get a higher floor room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Justin H

Thank you for choosing Viceroy New York on your recent trip to New York City .

We were delighted to read your positive review and in particular your comments about the Technology offerings that we have .

I will certainly pass your comments on to the team and we do look forward to welcoming you back in the future..

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Our family, who are seasoned travelers, just returned from a birthday celebration in NYC and the Viceroy was an excellent place to stay for the 4-night vacation! The first thing we noticed was how professional and courteous the staff were and continued to be throughout our stay. Mind you, this hotel has only been open 30 days, so we were expecting a possible glitch or two; but delighted nothing was amiss. The rooms could be considered small somewhere other than NYC, but they are very well appointed and designed so that you have everything necessary to accommodate your clothes and extras. And the beds, linens, etc., were so comfortable and inviting it was often difficult to leave them in the morning!! The baths are elegant as well. The restaurant downstairs was also very accommodating and the staff attentive and friendly; as well as the food being oh-so-good! I highly recommend this hotel! It is very centrally located to everything Central Park and midtown. You will not be disappointed!!
Terry, Charlotte, NC

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Terry M,

Thank you for choosing Viceroy New York to celebrate your Birthday .. We were delighted that you found the Hotel an excellent place to celebrate this occasion.

We are pleased that you have taken the time to share your experiences with Trip advisor readers who might be considering a visit to the City and are looking to select a Hotel in Midtown.

Your endorsement of our 'professional' team is appreciated and I will certainly pass your comments on to them .

I am glad that we have left you with such positive memories and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

As a seasoned traveller I came to the Viceroy hotel with high expectations and wasn't at all disappointed.

Firstly, pre-arrival I was sent a short survey via email which I gladly completed. It asked things like 'what time would you like morning service / turn down etc' which I thought was a lovely touch as there is nothing worse than someone trying to do turn down when you are getting ready to go out! In addition they asked if you'd like help with restaurants / advice on sights etc

Upon check-in we were welcomed by friendly front desk staff and the process was straight forward and quick after a 7.5 hour flight from London

We stayed in a Junior Suite with our teenage son, the room was unique in style, to be honest a little different than what we would usually choose, but we've grown to love it. The room is spacious, immaculately clean and the only noise we have experienced is the noise from the road (which is to be expected as we are on floor 5) and this hasn't bothered us at all

Good points about the room:
Large bathroom including a spacious walk in shower
Excellent TV and choice of channels
Amazing bed, large and VERY comfortable
Spotlessly clean and nice fixtures

Staff - I can only say the staff are incredible, genuinely I travel a LOT and I have to say these are some of the most friendly, helpful and knowledgeable staff I have ever experienced. I must give special thanks to two of the concierge team - one of which (Dana) gave us some really good advice for brunch (Bubby's) and another who managed to get us a reservation at Buddakan which was sold out on the Friday night we wanted to dine.

Location is great - only 5 minutes from great shopping and the nearest metro if you want to go downtown as we did

Will be really sad to check out this morning - this is by far the BEST hotel I have stayed at in New York and I will be back

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Napierlouise,

Thank you so much for submitting such a great review of our Hotel, Viceroy New York .

We were delighted that you and your son enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the features our Junior Suites offer , and our amazing location right on 57th street.

Our concierge are a wealth of knowledge on the city and I will certainly let Dana know how pleased you were with his recommendations.

I am pleased that we are now your hotel of choice in NYC and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Upon your arrival you're greeted by young and enthusiastic staff, who're prompt to help with your luggage and get you checked in, which if you've just arrived on an international flight (which I had) and encountered JFK, this was my first my genuine welcoming experience since touching down! The staff throughout my short stay were helpful, professional, efficient and seemed genuinely excited to be working in this new hotel.

The hotels location is definitely a huge draw, just a couple of blocks from the expanse of Central Park, a stones throw from the designer shops on fifth avenue and also two subway stations to choose from to get you downtown.

The room was beautifully decorated and thoughtfully designed, regarding some of the previous comments regarding room size - this is city centre hotel where space is limited, however I didn't feel the room was small - everything was so well designed and nice big windows bringing natural daylight into the room. Some nice touches, with Samsung LED TV, illy coffee machine, Dr Dre BeatsBox, the neatest iron and ironing board I've seen - perfect to take the creases out of a shirt.

Unfortunately I didn't get an opportunity to use any of the other facilities, but Kingside looked like the cool place to grab a drink or something to eat - next time!! I also was told that they will be launching a new roof top bar imminently which will of course have views of central park, this is definitely a reason to come back and visit when next in NYC.

Overall a great first experience of Viceroy and it didn't disappoint, I'll definitely choose to stay here on my next visit. Thank you!!

Room Tip: High floor to get a view of Central Park
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank WH1973

Dear WH1973,

We were delighted to read your review of our Hotel, Viceroy New York .

I am pleased that you liked our rooms and the many great amenities that they offer, I see that you liked the Illy Coffee machine as well as the ironing board which our customers find is just perfect for a quick pressing for a shirt like you mentioned before you go out.

I am sorry that you did not get to experience Kingside Restaurant this time , it has been a great success with our guests and local residents , hopefully on another occasion you will get the opportunity to enjoy the great atmosphere and Menu that it offers.

We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I went to the Viceroy on a combination business trip and stayed an extra day for some personal time in NYC. The front desk and staff were really friendly. For the location I always assume I'm going to run into snobby staff, not this place! The rooms are typical NYC rooms, others complaining about the size, have you ever stayed at the Marquis? The room has a great Beats speakers and a cool phone in the room. Took me a few seconds to get it but it was really fun. You can control the TV and it was your phone as well, really liked it. The linens were amazing, obvious high thread count. Bed was super comfy.

Now the negative was the walls are thin. Like many others, and I read the reviews before staying here, you can here almost everything going on within a room or two of yours.

Outside of that I will for sure stay here, the noise didnt bother me too much, but the technology, staff and location cannot be beat!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear J S,

Thank you for completing a review on the Viceroy New York .

We very much appreciate you taking the time to explain to other travelers to NYC your experiences which can assist them in looking to find a Hotel to meet their needs in Midtown Manhattan.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed using the Viceroy Connect device for the TV and also that you were pleased to see the Beats by Dr Dre speaker.

I note your comment's about our friendly team and I will certainly pass on your remarks to them.

I am glad to hear that you will return in the future and indeed we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at the hotel- this time I was upgraded to a suite. Staff was extremely courteous and the suite was stunning. Perfect size for a solo traveler- I highly recommend this option when at all possible. Loved room service - took only 15 minutes and they have fresh presses juices from Liquiteria. Only peeve- I would have liked the option to order pay per view movies in my room. Hopefully this will be added given all their wonderful technology. Gym was perfect for me as well- the jacuzzi is one of the best in the city.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Clutchbomb,

We are delighted to receive your second review and that you chose to stay with us again at Viceroy New York.

I am pleased that our team recognized your loyalty and were able to provide you with an upgrade on this occasion.

I note your satisfaction with our gym which is entirely equipped with Technogym equipment and that you had the opportunity to experience our relaxation pool.

Room service provided by Kingside Restaurant is an opportunity to experience Restaurant style food in the comfort of your room, I am glad you enjoyed it.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Hotel was smaller than I thought it would be, and so was my room, but I learned a long time ago never to rely on website photos. But traveling alone and knowing I would not be spending a lot of time in the room except to sleep, I went with the least expensive room, the Superior at 250 feet. That really is not much, so I'll stay in a larger room next time, and also advise a higher floor because you will get more light that way. My room faced the "courtyard interior" (photo attached) and it was really just the backs of more buildings and lots of air conditioning units. When I ordered room service they had to turn sideways to get the tray through the door, so even if you're 1 person I would suggest going with the "Double" which is the only room that is 350 sq. ft. besides a suite or the penthouse. All the other rooms (Superior, Deluxe, Terrace, and Park View) are all 250 sq. ft. each! And if you can afford it, the Junior Suite is 350 sq. ft. (like the Double!), the Park Suite is 500 sq. ft,, and the Penthouse (oh la la) is a whopping 1200 sq. ft.! Anyway, back to my "Superior" room. I was in room 1010 and I have to say there was a bit of a creep factor to it because it was at the end of a hallway and, while all of the rooms were off of this hallway, my room and one other were through the door at the end of the hallway. You then were in a little vestibule and saw two doors for two rooms. It just felt a little isolated and creepy when the door closed behind you and you hand not opened your room door yet. I always hurried to open my door because I was afraid somebody would open the other room door and you're really isolated in that little vestibule all alone then. I think what happened is that there was one large room at the end of this hallway, and in the remodel the Viceroy converted that one room into 2 small 250 sq. ft. rooms, and added the two room doors but never removed the outer door to the original room door. I think they at least need to take that outer door off of the hinges and leave the doorway open with no door on it. It's creepy having to go through that door to get to your room door. Room service was good, but they did not bring you a glass of ice water with it, which I always thought was pretty standard. And with no ice bucket in the room and no ice machine around in visible sight on the floor but you can chill the very nice bottled Italian water they leave for you in your room (that's a nice touch :) in the mini bar fridge. I was trying to figure out what to do with my luggage after I checked out as I was seeing a Broadway show before leaving on the Amtrak, but as soon as I got to the lobby to check out, without even asking, a very handsome bellman asked if I would like to check my luggage. Nice! And the location of the Viceroy is perfect. It's 1-2 blocks from Central Park, 4-5 blocks from Radio City Music Hall, 1 block from 5th Avenue ... so all very walkable! With so many hotels already in NYC, and with all the new ones being built, I'll try a new one next time, especially since I wasn't offered a room upgrade and I did ask if they were completely booked the night I stayed. (They were not, and they did have nicer rooms available.) Of course they cannot offer upgrades to everyone, but it would have been nice if they had offered one to me because I did mention to the clerk at the front desk that I might want to upgrade my room and I would let her know. Furniture not very comfortable, but slept well in the bed, and the pillows and bed linens were very nice. Plenty of nice towels in the bathroom, and plenty of hot water, although my shampoo tube was half full, so perhaps they so not re-stock fresh amenities if the previous guest does not take theirs with them. So while there is room for improvement, they are trying and are very nice at the front desk and in a great location if you need a place in stay in this area and do not mind it being small. And there is plenty of nice seating in the lobby so it's a great place to meet up with friends if you're staying here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Jackie P

Dear Jackie P,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review on your recent stay at the newly opened Viceroy New York.

I am pleased that you were happy with the service that was provided by the Viceroy New York Team.

I note your comments about the room that you were staying in and as you mention we have a number of different room types and sizes to suit different tastes and budgets. I note your comments regarding the outer door on these rooms and this has now been corrected, this door remains permanently open unless sold as connecting accommodations.

However all our room types offer wonderful amenities, like Illy Coffee machines, Beats by Dr Dre Speakers, luxury Bathrobes and slippers and also complimentary Wifi.

We also offer rooms and suites on higher floors with a front facing aspect that have fantastic views of the 57th Street Architecture and or Central Park.

Once again, thank you for sharing such a detailed review with Trip advisor readers , we appreciate the feedback and hope that you will consider a return visit to Viceroy New York in the future.