Viceroy Central Park New York
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$195
Room Mate Hotels
  • Pool
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$189
US$157
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$220
US$198
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$216
US$176
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$382
US$350
  • Room Service
Soho Grand Hotel(New York City)
US$353
US$333
  • Restaurant
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$377
US$250
Official Site
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$291
US$223
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$209
  • Restaurant
Archer Hotel New York(New York City)
US$324
US$299
Agoda.com
1,570 results
All reviewsrooftop barkingside restaurantcentral parkpark suitecarnegie hallnew yorkespresso machinewardrobe spaceconcierge teamjunior suitecolumbus circleperfect locationrooms are smalltimes squarestandard roomfifth avenuetwo blocks
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I've stayed at the Viceroy NY for 9 days this past New Years. The Viceroy New York is a boutique hotel and the rooms are smaller than the sisters properties that I've frequented. The staff was very accommodating and for a charge I was able to upgrade to a junior suite that was just fabulous. I travel for pleasure to NY quite often and the suite was perfect for entertaining or just relaxing with a book while having a cup of coffee. The staff is the star of this property, there was no request that was not met and always with a smile on their face. Due to the snow storm my flight was canceled and modified 6 times and they were able to extend my stay without switching rooms. The hotel is on west 57th Street between 6th and 7th avenues, the heart of the city is just a stroll away with the best NY has to offer and if you want to go further the Viceroy provides a car service that is very convenient. The amenities were great, the fact that while the city was 12 degrees I was relaxing in the pool after a work out. I highly recommend this new jewel in the heart of NYC.

TS

Room Tip: The average room was too small for me. The junior suites from the second to the seventh floor have plenty of space and are very comfortable, but if you can can choose the higher floor Park Suites with a separate living area from the bedroom with most amazing views of Central Park
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony S
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Tony S,

We were delighted that you took the time to review your stay after your 9 day stay at Viceroy New York.

I am so pleased that you were happy with the service offered by our team whom you have described as the 'star' of the property.

I am glad that you liked our relaxation pool and that it provided some respite from the freezing temperatures that the city recently experienced.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Viceroy New York in the future.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

The New York Daily News called the Viceroy “the most New York hotel since the new Plaza opened two blocks away in 1907.” That’s big shoes to fill for the newcomer on the block, but the Viceroy fills them almost perfectly. Almost is the key word.

I drove in from Boston and I must say that the reception I received at the hotel was refreshing after spending hours on the road and dealing with the frustration of Manhattan traffic. When I pulled up, the hotel doorman walked over to my car and checked it for the valet while the bellman whisked my luggage out of the vehicle before I got out the driver’s seat. First impressions count. They don’t fall short.

The hotel is sexy and they know it. The staff’s uniforms are edgy; on a cold December day, the doormen were dressed in light gray, double breasted overcoats with leather trim and popped collars. The front desk staff is dressed in line; tight dresses on the women; slim suits on the men. It feels like an elegant nightclub; not a luxury hotel. But yet, I’m surprisingly okay with it.

The furnishings are rich and elegant; supple, white leather sofas and chairs fill the small lobby that is laden in heavy wood and gold accents. The centerpiece: a full-wall, abstract mural with blueprints of the hotel sketched over top. A library tucked behind the concierge desk is small, intimate, dark, and, not surprisingly, sexy. Have you noticed the theme?

It continues at check-in. “Welcome to the Viceroy,” she says, asking my name. A swipe of my finger on a tablet computer for incidentals; she passes the keys to the bellhop who takes me to the elevator for our 26-story assent. The fastest elevator I’ve ever encountered in a hotel; we traveled a floor each second. In less than thirty, we were standing outside 2601, the room I had the pleasure of calling my home, sadly, for just one night.

Sexy continues upstairs. Is it any surprise? A “Beats by Dre” Beatbox rests atop the nightstand. The bed is dressed in sleek SFERRA linens. The curtains? Thick, black drapes. The television welcomes you to your room…by name. The integrated control system, the bellman informs me, as I set the thermostat at 67 degrees, will monitor my preferences—television volume, climate settings, etc.—and welcome me back with the room at 67 degrees the next time I arrive. It’s impressive.

Yes, it’s small. But expertly designed: the integrated furnishings were elegant and space-saving. The bench beneath the window served as a nice luggage rack; the integrated lighting eliminated the need for lamps on the bedside tables.

The bathroom is one that Gatsby himself might enjoy. The pocket door is a genius space saver. Marble, iridescent mosaic tile, and gold abound. A glass shower partition is clever, making the small room appear infinitely larger.

What I’m not fond of in my room: the workspace. The desk is small—okay, I’ll live. But the chair is not excellent if productivity is your quest and the metal bar on which the dim task light is mounted clashes with the otherwise-elegant room.

What is most impressive about this hotel is the feeling of everything you touch. Yes—that’s right—what you touch. It feels good. It feels really good. The quality not only meets the eye; it is discernible to the the hand of a well-traveled guest. Everything I touched felt sturdy, substantial, rich. From the gold faucet handle to the cap on the complimentary Acqua Panna water (no $9 Aquafina here), everything feels the way it should. And that never happens; not even at the Plaza.

The letdown? Downstairs. In the basement, that is. The promise of “an indoor relaxation pool” was, in actually, a glorified hot tub with limited hours for guest use. The fitness center appeared adequate, but the business center? No where to be found. After consulting the concierge, I found out it doesn’t exist. I wound up having to email my pre-arranged Broadway tickets to him to print (for a tip, of course); something that shouldn’t happen in a hotel that caters to business travelers. Giving up just ONE guest room of their 240 would make give them an asset that is essential in this industry given their target clientele.

Despite this, I handed my keys to the front desk agent the next morning with a tinge of remorse as reality set in and my refreshingly “New York” hotel experience came to a close. They sent for my car and said it should it should be arriving in fifteen or twenty minutes.

Not 15. Or 20. Not 30. Not 60. But 75 minutes—yes, an HOUR AND FIFTEEN MINUTES—pass until an unnamed employee approaches me, the single guest sitting in the small lobby, (he appeared to be running the show though he, like the rest of the staff, did not wear a name tag) in a frantic rush, saying that he was “so sorry” that my car wasn’t out yet, professing how unacceptable it was. I appreciate his ability to acknowledge the situation but he pushed the blame onto the parking facility, which usually auto-prints a receipt of vehicles needing retrieved, saying their printer was broken. He grabbed the bellhop with my luggage…and escorted me down the street, luggage in tow, through the adjacent Le Parker Meridien Hotel, out their front door, across 56th street, and into a sketchy parking garage where he left me with my car as he scolded the parking garage attendants in front of me.

I WANT the Viceroy to be my “go-to” hotel in New York. It’s got great bones. But sadly, the sour note of my departure and the inability of the staff to handle it effectively and offer some form of apology (perhaps waiving the $55 parking fee for the evening might have been a good place to start) left me with a bitter aftertaste and a sad remorse that isn’t leaving me craving more anytime soon. It's going to take more than a parking voucher for me to consider coming back.

Note on rating: 3.0 (-.5 for Basement/Amenities, -1.5 for Parking Fiasco. Could have been a solid 4.5 had my departure gone differently!)

Room Tip: Even the most basic rooms are luxuriously appointed and efficiently designed to maximize the small space.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank arlingtonman13

Dear Arlington13,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review on Viceroy New York ..

We were all so pleased to read the many endorsements that you provided about the quality and style of so many elements of the Hotel.

Of course it is disappointing that such a positive experience was marred by such a negative departure experience.

Please accept our apologies for the time taken to retrieve your car , we will certainly communicate your frustrations to the Company who operates the garage. We aim to deliver your car within 30 minutes so I am sorry that in your case we took an unacceptable length of time to deliver your vehicle to you . We share the Valet parking service with a number of other hotels and there can sometimes be a backlog especially on Sunday mornings when there are a number of people checking out at a similar time.

We do hope you will consider a return trip to Viceroy New York, should your travels take you again to the City .

Please contact my office directly on 212 830 8002 so that I can assist with your booking.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Rooms were very nice, but not a lot of closet space, in fact there was no real closet, only an amoire. The shower was huge, but had no door, only glass that went halfway, so it was pretty drafty. Window was big but extremely drafty; the cold air was practically blowing in. The relaxation pool was nice, but could have been a couple of degrees hotter. The illy coffee maker in the room was a big highlight- it made me a convert. Bed was very comfortable. Very close to the N,R,Q subway.

Room Tip: Request a room in the back if you want it quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Seekr,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Viceroy New York .

I am sure that other travelers visiting NYC and looking for a comfortable hotel will appreciate your comments.

I am pleased that you liked the Illy Coffee machine .. the coffee is certainly of great quality and provides a great way to start the day in the comfort of your room .

As you also mention we are conveniently located for many subway lines providing quick access to the entire City.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Found this hotel last minute when husband and I made plans to visit NYC for New Years on a whim. Of course, read the reviews before we booked and very little was out there yet b/c this hotel just opened several months ago. Although typically hotel rooms are on the smaller size for NYC, I did find the room compact but perfectly designed for the amount of space. I definitely would not fault the hotel on this; we found it functional for our stay of 5 nights.

ROOM - checked in about 2pm and room was ready for us. We booked a regular King room with courtyard view, but were pleasantly surprised when we actually had a city view room. Our room was located towards the end of the hall, away from the elevator and heard minimal noise from the hallways. Although space is tight, we had a king bed, desk with chair, large flat screen TV, Beats by Dre sound box, smart-remote that controlled everything in room, chase lounge seat and window that opened slightly, refrigerator, and great hair dryer. Minimal wardrobe space and drawers, but we were able to unpack both our suitcases; so we felt this wasn't an issue. Although I could see if one would miss the drawer under the chase lounge, it was roomy enough for sweaters, coats. King Bed was comfy too, with large pillows and soft linens. Bathroom was outfitted nicely with great toiletries, and suited me with tub/shower combo. Liked the mirror in the bathroom, rotated in/out so you could adjust it to your specifics. Water pressure could have been a little more, but I think the rain type shower heads all give minimal pressure. Illy coffee machine was awesome and housekeeping was efficient - did a great job of re-stocking all our amenities.

ROOM SERVICE - Kingside is the restaurant located next to hotel. Place seemed like a busy spot, as it always had people at the bar. We never ate in the restaurant but did order room service from their late night on New Year's Eve. Ordered cheeseburger, fries and macaroni and cheese. Fries were cold so that was a bummer but everything else was delicious. And food arrived within about 20 minutes.

LOCATION- Great! Right near Carnegie Hall, and 2 blocks south of Central Park. Out the hotel and to the right one block is the N, Q, R trains. Close to Columbus Circle, maybe 3-4 short blocks west, to A, C, E, trains. Very easy to navigate the city from this area. Close enough to Times Square to walk and enjoy the shopping from 5th Ave on the way. Although coffee was great in the room for a quick cuppa, there is a Starbucks out the hotel and left, 3 stores down. Little corner market (mini-grocery store) one block over was open late and had great selection of fresh fruit.

Enjoyed our stay immensely at the Viceroy New York and would return in a New York minute!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacobs-Family

Dear Jacobs-Family,

We were delighted to receive your review on your recent stay at Viceroy New York.

For the benefit of other travelers looking for a Hotel in NYC I am glad that you mention our location which is close to everything that you would like to see as well as being convenient for the extensive subway network the city offers.

I am pleased that you were able to go into all the details that ensure that our guests have an enjoyable stay. I am delighted that you liked the many amenities that we offer including the Beats by Dr Dre speaker, the Viceroy Connect ( Smart Remote ) as well as the Illy Coffee machine.

I will be sure you pass your comments also to the team at kingside on your room service order and please accept my apologies that your Room Service Fries were cold on delivery.

We appreciate the time taken to review your stay and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to Viceroy New York in the future.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I did my TripAdvisor research so I anticipated that the room would be on the small side but there were enough accolades about Viseroy – a new slick property - that I choose it anyway for my wife’s four day NYC extravaganza Christmas gift.
This new hotel which has many nice features one might expect in a new property.

On the plus side, the king sized bed was quite comfortable and dressed with high quality linens; the first rate electronics included a high quality TV. Wi-Fi was excellent. A mini espresso machine was provided; the bathroom was a generous size and had an upscale look. The adjacent Kingsford restaurant is excellent and the hotel location is wonderful.

All of the pluses could not overcome the disappointment we had with the size of the room. Without the least of exaggeration, there was not even enough room for both of us to dress at the same time. Adding to our disappointment was the lack of storage space. We arrived with two medium sized bags and there was no place to put the luggage rack (provided) for either bag. So, I emptied out my bag and stuffed all my belonging into one large draw under a medium sized leather seat. My wife’s bag was put on top the leather seat. So, the only place to sit was on a small wooden chair for the mini desk cramped in the corner. The only available hanging space was about the size of my full sized locker at my gym.

Rather than having our trip ruined, we tried to maintain a positive attitude and actually made a game to trying to create some reasonable comfort in the room. Ever-so-carefully, we organized our personal items in the neatest possible way given the limited space available. As a part of the game we came up with a list of simple – inexpensive - corrective measures to deal with the most obvious short sighted design problems.

Provide coat hooks on the wall in the entry way to the room. Our only option was to put our coats onto the bed or floor as our locker sized closet was jam packed. We came in from the snow and had no option but to put our wet coats on the floor.

Provide wall hooks in the bathroom for towels. There is no place whatsoever for wet towels.

The magnifying mirror in the bathroom was of no use to my wife (5’2”) because it is too high and does not bend down. Ask the manufacturer how this limitation can be resolved.

Perhaps the most helpful of all ways to counter the tiny room limitation is to focus on providing improved common space for guests. The lobby and rear small library is very wanting. To that point hardly anyone was seen sitting in either area for the four days we were at the hotel.

The adjacent Kingsford restaurant can be creatively used to help alleviate the important need for guest to find comfort outside the rooms.

• We suggest offering guests complimentary morning coffee in the restaurant.
• Have newspapers available
• Have a brief evening wine gathering for guests as many hotels now do in the city

Lastly I wish to offer our impression of the front desk and lobby staff. They all demonstrated a surprising level of indifference to my wife and I when we asked for information. In addition they actually were even a little aloof. These folks need to understand they are the soul of the property and their behavior sets the entire tone for the property.

In closing my wife and I enjoyed our trip to NYC but it could have been so much nicer if we had a comfortable place to sit in our hotel. It was very discouraging coming in from the cold and snow only to not have any decent place to sit either in the hotel common area or in our room.

Room Tip: Any prospective guest must be prepared for a room with signifciant limitations given its size.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank George F

Dear George F,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your recent stay at Viceroy New York.

I am sure that many travelers visiting NYC will find your commentary on your stay to be very helpful.

I note your comments about the size of the room and I am sorry to hear of your disappointment, we do ensure that the size of all our different rooms types is clearly displayed on our Website.

I note your suggestions about extra coat/towel hooks and this is a project that we have already embarked on.

We have complimentary Newspapers available each day in the lobby or you can order one to be sent to your room when you check in .

I am disappointed to hear your comments about our Front of House team and while it lacks any specifics I am sorry to hear that in your case you felt this way.

Once again thank you for your feedback.