“TIP TOP LOCATION”

Viceroy Central Park New York
Ranked #242 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed here for four nights in January for my Birthday - The hotel is located near the corner of 57th street and 6th Avenue (between 5th Avenue and Carnegie Hall ) - The Hotel is quite new and is very “Gotham City” chic. The Upper Floors have stunning views out to Central Park. The ground floor restaurant / bar where breakfast is served is leased out but the cocktails are great (Green Apple Martini - yum yum )

The Rooms are small, but perfectly formed and while we stayed in a suite - stretch to them if you can - well worth it .

The outstanding point about this property is the staff members, they are a lovely bunch of people, from the GM to the Door men - they could not do enough for you to make the NYC trip a success - Concierge got us all our dinner reservations and tickets to the hot broadway show “Kinky Boots” (well worth the cost) and the front of house staff are super friendly which is a major plus in a busy city where sometimes hotel staff can be a bit curt. Not here.

Looking forward to a return visit

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank thefirmDublinIreland
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear thefirmdublinireland,

We were delighted to receive your review about your recent Birthday celebration stay at Viceroy New York ..

Indeed our location is one of the many great advantages of choosing to stay at Viceroy New York. Our Midtown location offers you the ability to be in walking distance of so many of the highlights of visiting New York in addition for those who wish to use the Subway we have many lines on our doorstep.

I will certainly pass your comments on to our team whom you have pointed out for special mention. Our concierge team have a wonderful knowledge of the city that they are delighted to share with present and future guests so that they may make the most of their visit to New York City.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future ...

Write a ReviewReviews (1,480)

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Discovered Viceroy for a work trip. Great location. Lobby area is not huge but is cleverly designed with great eye for design and finish. Rooms are not huge but again with clever design and quality fittings I didn't feel cramped and actually was very comfortable. Beds and bedding are superb!

The bar/restaurant on the ground floor was a buzzy mixed crowd and breakfast service was swift and efficient. Room service arrived promptly and the burger was very tasty.

Best of all? The staff. Unusual for a New York hotel - EVERYBODY was polite, engaging and genuine. Particular shout-outs for all the door staff - always welcoming and chatty - and manager Gregory - completely professional, engaging, with a relaxed formality and who went out of his way to assist me.

Definitely will be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank reallypickytraveller

Dear Reallypickytraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Viceroy New York.

We were delighted to hear that you liked our rooms and our Sferra Linens.

Kingside our restaurant on the Ground floor was also popular with you as well as Room Service.

We are pleased that we have catered successfully to a discerning traveler like your self and truly appreciate your positive feedback.

I will certainly pass your comments on to our team whom you have made special mention of in your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Reviewed 31 January 2014

My husband recently surprised my son and I with a weekend stay at the Viceroy. He had booked two Viceroy Park View guest rooms - which offer breathtaking views of Central Park. But it was the look on our son's face, he is 7 years old, when we told him he was going to get his own room that was truly priceless. Standard rooms are intimately-sized but well-appointed and offer most of the amenities that are now standard in 4- and 5-star properties. I did love that they stocked the bathrooms with Neil George bath and body products - we were first introduced to the line while staying at a tiny but precious B&B outside of London. But the best part of our stay came when we asked the concierge for a tip on a fun, family-friendly activity that could be enjoyed indoors (as it was so cold outside). He recommended hosting a mini-picnic lunch inside our room. So we ordered hot dogs, cole slaw, french fires and other picnic-y fare and room service delivered it along with a checked tablecloth (genius!) so we could spread it out on the carpet and eat on it, indian-style. It was really lovely. We're looking forward to returning this spring so we can do it again, but in Central Park.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are small. If you can, spend a little extra and book a room with a Central Park. It g...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank StyleElle

Dear StyleElle,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience staying at Viceroy New York.

We were delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated the Neil George bathroom Amenities.

I was pleased to hear how you enjoyed a day inside for your son and delighted that our Concierge came up with such an innovative solution on a rain day in New York City .

We thank you for choosing Viceroy New York as your Hotel and we do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Rooms are nice, but generally small. They are well appointed, with cool light and bath fixtures. Try and get a room on 57th street versus the back of the hotel. Restaurant was good for breakfast and a night cap at the end of the day.

Room Tip: Get one on 57th street
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Travelingduncs
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Travellingduncs,

We were pleased to see your positive review on your recent stay at Viceroy New York .

Your review will be helpful to other travelers looking for a comfortable Hotel within easy reach of all the sights that NYC has to offer.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I simply loved Viceroy with its great location, near Central Park, wonderful attentive service and cosy and stylish rooms.
The cafe at the groundfloor is also nice. Unfortunately didn't have time to try SPA but I'm almost sure it's also great.
Definitely recommend it and will be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Genkuro I

Dear Genkuro,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Viceroy New York .

You specifically mention our great location which is of great assistance to other travelers looking for the ideal place to stay in NYC while being in easy reach of Central Park and the sights, while being convenient to the extensive Subway network.

Thank for your positive endorsement and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I've stayed at the Viceroy NY for 9 days this past New Years. The Viceroy New York is a boutique hotel and the rooms are smaller than the sisters properties that I've frequented. The staff was very accommodating and for a charge I was able to upgrade to a junior suite that was just fabulous. I travel for pleasure to NY quite often and the suite was perfect for entertaining or just relaxing with a book while having a cup of coffee. The staff is the star of this property, there was no request that was not met and always with a smile on their face. Due to the snow storm my flight was canceled and modified 6 times and they were able to extend my stay without switching rooms. The hotel is on west 57th Street between 6th and 7th avenues, the heart of the city is just a stroll away with the best NY has to offer and if you want to go further the Viceroy provides a car service that is very convenient. The amenities were great, the fact that while the city was 12 degrees I was relaxing in the pool after a work out. I highly recommend this new jewel in the heart of NYC.

TS

Room Tip: The average room was too small for me. The junior suites from the second to the seventh floor have...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony S

Dear Tony S,

We were delighted that you took the time to review your stay after your 9 day stay at Viceroy New York.

I am so pleased that you were happy with the service offered by our team whom you have described as the 'star' of the property.

I am glad that you liked our relaxation pool and that it provided some respite from the freezing temperatures that the city recently experienced.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Viceroy New York in the future.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

The New York Daily News called the Viceroy “the most New York hotel since the new Plaza opened two blocks away in 1907.” That’s big shoes to fill for the newcomer on the block, but the Viceroy fills them almost perfectly. Almost is the key word.

I drove in from Boston and I must say that the reception I received at the hotel was refreshing after spending hours on the road and dealing with the frustration of Manhattan traffic. When I pulled up, the hotel doorman walked over to my car and checked it for the valet while the bellman whisked my luggage out of the vehicle before I got out the driver’s seat. First impressions count. They don’t fall short.

The hotel is sexy and they know it. The staff’s uniforms are edgy; on a cold December day, the doormen were dressed in light gray, double breasted overcoats with leather trim and popped collars. The front desk staff is dressed in line; tight dresses on the women; slim suits on the men. It feels like an elegant nightclub; not a luxury hotel. But yet, I’m surprisingly okay with it.

The furnishings are rich and elegant; supple, white leather sofas and chairs fill the small lobby that is laden in heavy wood and gold accents. The centerpiece: a full-wall, abstract mural with blueprints of the hotel sketched over top. A library tucked behind the concierge desk is small, intimate, dark, and, not surprisingly, sexy. Have you noticed the theme?

It continues at check-in. “Welcome to the Viceroy,” she says, asking my name. A swipe of my finger on a tablet computer for incidentals; she passes the keys to the bellhop who takes me to the elevator for our 26-story assent. The fastest elevator I’ve ever encountered in a hotel; we traveled a floor each second. In less than thirty, we were standing outside 2601, the room I had the pleasure of calling my home, sadly, for just one night.

Sexy continues upstairs. Is it any surprise? A “Beats by Dre” Beatbox rests atop the nightstand. The bed is dressed in sleek SFERRA linens. The curtains? Thick, black drapes. The television welcomes you to your room…by name. The integrated control system, the bellman informs me, as I set the thermostat at 67 degrees, will monitor my preferences—television volume, climate settings, etc.—and welcome me back with the room at 67 degrees the next time I arrive. It’s impressive.

Yes, it’s small. But expertly designed: the integrated furnishings were elegant and space-saving. The bench beneath the window served as a nice luggage rack; the integrated lighting eliminated the need for lamps on the bedside tables.

The bathroom is one that Gatsby himself might enjoy. The pocket door is a genius space saver. Marble, iridescent mosaic tile, and gold abound. A glass shower partition is clever, making the small room appear infinitely larger.

What I’m not fond of in my room: the workspace. The desk is small—okay, I’ll live. But the chair is not excellent if productivity is your quest and the metal bar on which the dim task light is mounted clashes with the otherwise-elegant room.

What is most impressive about this hotel is the feeling of everything you touch. Yes—that’s right—what you touch. It feels good. It feels really good. The quality not only meets the eye; it is discernible to the the hand of a well-traveled guest. Everything I touched felt sturdy, substantial, rich. From the gold faucet handle to the cap on the complimentary Acqua Panna water (no $9 Aquafina here), everything feels the way it should. And that never happens; not even at the Plaza.

The letdown? Downstairs. In the basement, that is. The promise of “an indoor relaxation pool” was, in actually, a glorified hot tub with limited hours for guest use. The fitness center appeared adequate, but the business center? No where to be found. After consulting the concierge, I found out it doesn’t exist. I wound up having to email my pre-arranged Broadway tickets to him to print (for a tip, of course); something that shouldn’t happen in a hotel that caters to business travelers. Giving up just ONE guest room of their 240 would make give them an asset that is essential in this industry given their target clientele.

Despite this, I handed my keys to the front desk agent the next morning with a tinge of remorse as reality set in and my refreshingly “New York” hotel experience came to a close. They sent for my car and said it should it should be arriving in fifteen or twenty minutes.

Not 15. Or 20. Not 30. Not 60. But 75 minutes—yes, an HOUR AND FIFTEEN MINUTES—pass until an unnamed employee approaches me, the single guest sitting in the small lobby, (he appeared to be running the show though he, like the rest of the staff, did not wear a name tag) in a frantic rush, saying that he was “so sorry” that my car wasn’t out yet, professing how unacceptable it was. I appreciate his ability to acknowledge the situation but he pushed the blame onto the parking facility, which usually auto-prints a receipt of vehicles needing retrieved, saying their printer was broken. He grabbed the bellhop with my luggage…and escorted me down the street, luggage in tow, through the adjacent Le Parker Meridien Hotel, out their front door, across 56th street, and into a sketchy parking garage where he left me with my car as he scolded the parking garage attendants in front of me.

I WANT the Viceroy to be my “go-to” hotel in New York. It’s got great bones. But sadly, the sour note of my departure and the inability of the staff to handle it effectively and offer some form of apology (perhaps waiving the $55 parking fee for the evening might have been a good place to start) left me with a bitter aftertaste and a sad remorse that isn’t leaving me craving more anytime soon. It's going to take more than a parking voucher for me to consider coming back.

Note on rating: 3.0 (-.5 for Basement/Amenities, -1.5 for Parking Fiasco. Could have been a solid 4.5 had my departure gone differently!)

Room Tip: Even the most basic rooms are luxuriously appointed and efficiently designed to maximize the small s...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank arlingtonman13

Dear Arlington13,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review on Viceroy New York ..

We were all so pleased to read the many endorsements that you provided about the quality and style of so many elements of the Hotel.

Of course it is disappointing that such a positive experience was marred by such a negative departure experience.

Please accept our apologies for the time taken to retrieve your car , we will certainly communicate your frustrations to the Company who operates the garage. We aim to deliver your car within 30 minutes so I am sorry that in your case we took an unacceptable length of time to deliver your vehicle to you . We share the Valet parking service with a number of other hotels and there can sometimes be a backlog especially on Sunday mornings when there are a number of people checking out at a similar time.

We do hope you will consider a return trip to Viceroy New York, should your travels take you again to the City .

Please contact my office directly on 212 830 8002 so that I can assist with your booking.