“not for me”

Ranked #199 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cincinnati, Ohio
“not for me”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The room was well appointed, great bathroom with nice amenities. Yes, the room was small but most boutique hotels in NYC are similar. But I was surprised by the lack of assistance by the bell staff (I had to carry my own bags in from the very busy street entrance on 57th St.) The bellmen stood inside the hotel doors, not out on the street, and seemed genuinely surprised that I wanted to enter the doors. The same unusual attitude happened the other two times I entered later that day. Is it because I am the oldest-ever person to stay in the hotel?
Also, there is bad construction on 57th St. so my room on that side of the hotel was quite noisy, even at 11PM on a weekend. Certainly not the hotel's fault but good to note for those who prefer a quiet night - ask for a room in back of the hotel.
Very small lobby.

Room Tip: For quieter sleep, ask for room in back of the hotel if there is still construction on 57th Street.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Cincytravelqueen
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Cincytravelqueen,

Thank you for your review of Viceroy New York .

I am pleased that you enjoyed your room and the amenities that we offer like Complimentary wifi,Illy Coffee Machine, and the Beats by Dr Dre speaker where you can listen to your own music selection over your phone via Bluetooth.

I am disappointed to read that you did not have a positive experience on arrival. It is of course our aim to meet all guests when we recognize that they are checking in and assist them with their belongings, I am sorry that this did not happen in your case.

I do hope that you may consider Viceroy New York on a future visit to the City.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Our four day visit to NYC over the Valentine's Day weekend was made complete with our stay at the Viceroy Hotel. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The doormen always greeted us with a smile and assistance. The bar and restaurant was always humming with excitement and the food was excellent. We were very pleased with our room set up and service. We were very happy with how quite our room was! A very positive experience. We were also happy with the price.
The hotel's location near easy subway access, Carnegie Hall and a short walk to Central Park came into play was we searched for a hotel as well.

We will stay at the Viceroy upon our next visit to the great city.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dave G,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Viceroy New York over Valentine's weekend.

We were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed all the elements that make up the experience of staying at Viceroy New York - Kingside our busy restaurant and Bar as well as the noise free environment of your room.

I will certainly pass on your positive remarks to our team whom you describe as friendly and helpful.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The hotel is in the most amazing location, just off fifth avenue and a tiny walk from Central Park. The staff are absolutely delightful and helpful in anyway they can. The rooms have everything in them and the service is fantastic,

• Stayed February 2014
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear CatieGilchrist1122,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Viceroy New York .

We were delighted to hear that you had a 'fantastic' stay.

We will pass your comments on to our team and we do hope to welcome you back in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed the second weekend of December as the start to our Christmas holidays in the US. We only arrived at the hotel after midnight (took the last flight out of London after a weeks work). Promptly welcomed by very friendly door staff. Front desk checked us in swiftly and very professional but with a great personal feel to it.

Lionel, one of the bellboys showed us up to our Junior Suite, great conversation maker and kept us interested although we had been up for nearly 24hours.

The Junior Suite was perfect, plenty of space for our luggage and the shopping that was to come. They provide a Boombox bluetooth speaker which was great. We decided for a nightcap and went down to the bar, trendy place with nice people around, drinks were very good and prices ok for NYC.

Last but not least this must have been one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in.

Verdict: Will stay again!

Keep it up Viceroy NYC

Room Tip: Book a Junior Suite as it a great size and gives plenty of space for luggage and shopping and relax...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Scouternaut,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Viceroy New York.

We were delighted to hear the positive comments about your stay and especially about your arrival. We will definitely pass your comments on to Lionel the overnight Bellman.

Thank you for mentioning the room amenities that we provide like the Beats By Dr Dre Boom Box and I would take this opportunity to mention also the Illy Coffee machine providing excellent complimentary coffee in your room.

I am pleased that you have enjoyed Kingside our Restaurant which has gained a popular reputation rapidly.

Finally and of course equally importantly you have commented about the comfort of our Beds, which has been a common theme amongst our Trip Advisor Reviewers.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the future,
London
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I don't normally review hotels in which I don't stay - it doesn't seem fair, but today I am in New York staying at the wonderful London NYC (first time here, I normally stay at the West Hollywood London which is a fantastic hotel with amazing bathrooms and lovely staff) but today I am making an exception.

I was taking an early morning walk on 57th Street and I spotted the new Viceroy. It looked sleek and appealing and as I am a fan of the boutique chain in other cities, I thought I would pop in to try the attractive 'patisserie' coffee bar which I spied from the window. I was quite casual, in Armani sweatpants, trainers and a nice Dunhill peacoat with Hermes scarf (well, there may have been no-one around in the minus 3 cold, but nonetheless).

As I pushed open the door myself, a tall modelesque doorman stood on the inside and give me a very obvious 'up and down' look (did I detect a sneer?) without saying a word. 'Are you too cool to say good morning?' I asked him? (I was at the Royalton and Paramount well this boy was in diapers) and got no reply.

An excellent cappuccino and almond croissant followed (worth the visit) but I was still left with a sour taste at the less than welcoming welcome. As I left, I wished him a 'nice day' and he could barely summon the courtesy to reply.

I am quite sure that this is not the welcome which the Viceroy is intending for its guests. Those days of 'too cool for school' model wannabees staffing doors and reception desks, thinking that they are somehow doing YOU a favour, are over. It is completely unacceptable in this day of Asian-led and inspired service culture. Either this boy was simple or just plain rude. In either case he should not be front-of-house.

The website boasts: "From arrival to departure and back again, it's this blend of the indispensable, unexpected and imperceptible that makes each Viceroy Hotel Group property a top choice among many—and a destination unto itself."

Well, the rudeness was certainly unexpected and the service culture impercetible. I'll give this property a miss thank you.

Room Tip: Stay at the Parker next door or the London on 54th. You'll love the burgers at the first and the...
Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DiscerningIrish
Dear DiscerningIrish,

We are always pleased to hear relevant feedback about our Hotel and the service we proudly provide.

As you suggest your self in your review we do not feel that it is either 'fair' or appropriate to write a review when you have not had the opportunity to stay in the property. Your fleeting and momentary experience is not representative of our hospitality and not a fair judgment to make on our team.

We value those reviews from our guests who have had the opportunity to stay and experience the hospitality and service we provide over the course of their stay.
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Because of my work I have had the pleasure of staying at some of NYC´s best hotels, this time I was combining work with a couple of days at the weekend for leisure with my husband flying in, so my hopes were high for the Viceroy NY.

From the speedy check into the larger than expected room (for New York standards) to the warmth and un stuffiness of the staff, it was the place for me! Engaging doormen who happily discussed the Superbowl whilst sporting their teams´scarves, to the superb care from the Concierge team who ensured we had the most perfect pillows requested for a bad neck to the impressive 7am hairdresser appointment made with less than 24 hours notice (in NY!), this concierge team rocks! Dana, Chris & the ladies, thank you!

Greg at Front Desk gives the small lobby an air of "coming back home" after a hard day´s work in freezing cold Midtown, remembering guests names and being one step ahead.

The rooms are very masculine, but warm and comfortable, I much prefer that to the flowery bedspreads of other hotels, bathroom is perfect, Illy coffee machine temperamental but makes delicious coffee and wifi is free and fast! the beds are incredibly comfortable and do not fear street noise. I was only on the 7th floor and there was none. in fact these rooms lower down are a bit larger than further up, apparently, so not a bad thing.

I did not visit the gym but the bar was buzzing every night, cool design, friendly staff and ok prices for midtown made it a good place to end the day, except Friday when it was so busy we had to have our drinks in the Lobby.

I dont like frills, but here you get top service, excellent location, the best granola with youghurt and berries for breakfast and comfortable rooms, add on to it a visit to the Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien next door, and you needn´t look any further...this is it for me when visiting New York City!

Room Tip: Do not fear lower floors, rooms slightly larger
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear keithJ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Viceroy New York .

I am pleased to hear your compliments about our team who assisted you in your enjoyment of your time in New York City . They are truly experts on New York city and can find enjoyable solutions for everyone when they visit.

I note your satisfaction with our Beats by Dr Dre speaker which offers a great audio experience for those that wish to listen to their own music over Bluetooth from their own device.

Thank you for choosing Viceroy New York for your stay in the city and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Wexford, Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Recently stayed in the Viceroy for a long weekend. My overall thoughts on the stay since I came back was the friendliness of all the staff we came into contact with - They really made our stay... Nothing was a problem from the front desk, concierge, the guys on the door to the bar & restaurant team. They really were exceptional.

The rooms are great, typical for New York in terms of size, but that's what we come to expect when visiting this great city. They have been very clever in design and layout with goes to compensate for its size. More wardrobe space would be great though, very limited! The addition of the beatbox speaker was a great touch.

Overall loved this hotel, can't wait for my return visit... Well done to all the team!

Room Tip: High floors have great city and cental park views
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear kiwiandme,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on your recent stay at Viceroy New York .

We were pleased that you mentioned so many of the things that contributed to the enjoyment of your stay at the Hotel and in the City .

There are so many aspects of the Hotel that make Viceroy New York an ideal place to stay when visiting the City, those that are looking for a Hotel with a cool vibe can enjoy Kingside Restaurant and our soon to be opened bar on the 29th Floor called "The Roof".

I am delighted that you enjoyed our many room amenities like our complimentary hi speed wifi , Illy Coffee machines and also worth a mention our Beats by Dr Dre speaker where you can listen to your own music over Bluetooth from your own device.

Thank you for your very positive endorsements of our team also and I will be sure to pass on your remarks to them .

We do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.