“Really the best Sushi in NYC”
Review of Tomoe Sushi

Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery
Neighbourhood: Greenwich Village
Reviewed 17 August 2014

When I go to NYC, I never missed a dinner at TOMOE SUSHI. The best sushi place in NYC. The fish is incredibly fresh and fast served once ordered. The variety of the different pieces is enormous and the quality is outstanding. The best is to seat at the sushi bar to choose directly the piece of sushi or sashimi you are going to taste. The prices are also pretty low compared with quality.
Be prepared to line up outside to be seated for at least 40 minutes.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I read about this place in a Michelin guide- and the rumours are true. This is worth standing in line for, and not because it's a five star sushi restaurant. This place doesn't look like much, but the focus is on great sushi, not overall dining experience. I sat at the bar and had the salmon ceviche, sashimi salad, a spicer roll, and a couple pints of beer to wash it down. The pieces of fish were absolutely delicious and plentiful (they are not stingy) and the flavour combinations were very satisfying for the sushi aficionados out there. Great location too, you'll never get bored/thirsty/hungry in this area.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

They're still lining up for this truly wonderful hole-in-the-wall sushi joint. I started coming here in 1987 while a student at NYU and whenever I'm in NYC (3-4 times a year) I always make it a point to come here at least once! The menu is large but fairly basic. If you want fancy rolls or more exotic fish, this isn't the place to go. Try Blue Ribbon or Bond Street for that. I always start with the Toro Kakuni, if they have it. It's a seasonal dish and it's so good. Their slices of sushi are huge so while it seems a NY thing to order 1 piece per order (everywhere else it seems is 2 pieces per order) the portions are so large 1 piece is like ordering two here. Their spicy tuna isn't that spicy but it's so creamy and tasty I usually order several of these. They make a great soft shell crab roll and it's the only place I'll order a salmon skin roll. Like I said, the place is super small so expect a wait. They have a system in place. Make sure you're in line. No need to go in before a table's ready. The table service can be off-putting. They aren't super friendly and you won't make conversation with the chefs at the bar (which seats 5 or 6 max). You might even become friends with those at the table next to you because you are that close together. It's definitely a great experience and a place I'll continue to go and bring friends to every time I'm in NY.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I walked half-way across across the city for this place, and it was SO WORTH IT! The eel was easily the best I've ever had and I have had A LOT of eel from lots of different places. Very fast and friendly service and all our sushi was delicious.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

After reading all of the rave reviews on here, I had to try it out. The place is TINY so if you don't get there super early you will have to wait for ages! Had a few different types of sushi and can think of plenty of other places that serve much better sushi. Won't come here again unless I am walking past.