“Elegant atmosphere and delicious food”
Review of Balthazar

Balthazar
Reserve with OpenTable
Balthazar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #197 of 13,754 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$0 - US$100
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: SoHo
“Elegant atmosphere and delicious food”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The last visit was for dessert and I must say it was among the best I have ever had. Although the place was packed we were seated quickly and served in perfect style. On my next trip to NYC I will be taking my wife for a sumptuous dinner.

• Visited March 2014

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Yes, its in SoHo. That, for me, is a downside as I hate trekking all the way down to SoHo to have dinner then, usually, hurrying back uptown for theatre. Plus, the fact that they don't start seating for dinner until 6:00pm means you're usually rushed if you're seeing an 8:00pm show.

However, I'd run through a snowstorm to catch the N/R if it meant that I got to have dinner at Balthazar. And, as many scarred onlookers witnessed during my last trip to NYC, I did just that.

The Bar Steak was highly recommended by my server and I'm glad that I went for it. The cut of meat, sadly, wasn't the most tender, but it was juicy and chewy and, with the maître d'hôtel butter and béarnaise sauce, among the best steaks I've had in NYC. But no, I haven't been to Peter Lugar's yet.

The service here, though, is what makes it truly amazing. It is unbelievable. Forget the half-way mark; your drink never gets below three-quarters full before they refill it. The Balthazar baguette is so delicious, I sometimes forget that the steak is the main attraction. I've been trying to make it to the profiteroles for years but I'm always too full!

Go here!

Visited March 2014
Toronto
“Worth the visit”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

This place was in so many guides we had to try it. They were right. As close to a Parisien bistrot that you will find. Started with the onion soup which was spectacular. Practically a meal in itself. The bread was amazing. I had the duck confit which was excellent and my wife had the trout salade which was equally good. No room for dessert unfortunately. Definitely a keeper.

Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
“On se croirait a Paris”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I live right around the corner from Balthazar's bakery in Englewood NJ where all the bread is made. Before you even get to the corner, you can smell the fragrant dough baking. Outside of Paris, this is the best bread on the east coast, that's for sure- and I've eaten baguette from the winner of Meilleur Ouvrier de France more than a few times. The restaurant's offerings are really quite good, reminding us that we would rather be in Paris, chez Lipp, but as long as we're in New York, let's have some really good omelet, boudin, steck-frites saignant, and even the plateau de fruits de mer (sadly without langoustines). And of course, bread. The wine list is beautiful, even by the glass. Oh, did I mention that you have to be patient. Tough to get a table, so squeeze in at the bar, have a glass of champagne (not that sparkling stuff), a few oysters, and watch the scene. I've rated the bathroom a 7. It would get a higher rating, but it's downstairs, and for handicapped people, that isn't so hot.

• Visited February 2014
New York City, New York
“Only the finest”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Impeccable birthday dinner and another time during an infrequent restaurant week offering. I'd eat there every week if I could. Excellent table settings, service and casual luxury atmosphere, there own pastries and bread. Divine.

• Visited April 2013