“Casual, romantic and tasty find”
Review of Pao!

Pao!
Ranked #8,399 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Greenwich Street
Transit: Take the E or C (Blue Line) to Spring Street, or 1 (Red Line) to Canal Street
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Friends of ours had enjoyed dinner at Pao last week so much that they suggested we return there with them. Located right off of the West Side Highway, in the western part of SoHo, Pao is a warm and lovely, even romantic find. The small room, with a prominent bar at front, is rustic yet inviting. The menu is large enough for choice without being overwhelming. The cuisine is Portuguese, but with inventive twists. We ordered a variety of things, so there was much to comment on. We started with the octopus, scallops, cod cakes and . I enjoyed the scallops and cod cakes. Cod, a Portuguese specialty, were crisp outside, tender inside. The scallops were featured with a Tomato Compote with Port Wine Syrup. We also had the Linguica, a typical sausage, grilled right at the table. Our entrees were very tasty as well. Tiger Shrimp with a seafood "pudding" [like stuffing], Rabbit in a rich dark sauce with hazelnuts, a cod ,and a lamb shank special. We finished the meal with the chocolate salami, which is a pate of chocolate and crushed cookies, a rich poundcake with custard and dense chocolate mousse studded with tiny chocolate bits. Their house wines, a red and a "green" wine were an appropriate match. The green wine is an interesting, refreshing, slightly sparkling drink. All in all, we enjoyed a nice hearty meal perfect for a cold night.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I had lunch today at Pao, but regretted it .
I love Portuguese food and was attracted by the lunch special :
Soup and pork with clams alentejo style for only $12.95
The place was deserted , but I still entered .
I was given a menu which was sticky!
I ordered the lunch special :
The waitress forgot to give me the soup (Which was part of the deal)
She served me the main dish which tasted insipid.I had to request salt and pepper , because the dish tasted of nothing.
The bread was good , the the glass of wine was passable , but the espresso was good .
The location was really noisy , due some road works near by.
I shall not return!

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We ate here late on a Friday evening and really enjoyed the food, atmosphere and service. It is very good value and definitely recommended.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We loved this place.My wife and I had a dinner at Pao,this turned out to be a very nice romantic evening.The ambience and place allowed to feel relaxed and nice.The food was great.I would definitely go there again and I would recommend anyone to go.It is relaxing.It is like a home style place,but a the same time a restaurant.Not big,cosy,delicious.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Pao is a lovely little restaurant with doors that fling open to the outside in good weather. They have outdoor seating, and are located on a busy corner in what I consider lower Greenwich Village, at Spring and Greenwich. This could be a noisy location, but in the evenings, traffic lightens, and one can have a pretty quiet meal, even with the doors flung open. Our group of three enjoyed such appetizers as linguica, cooked at the table on a flaming pan, a kale soup that was potatoe-y, savory and flavored with Spanish sausage, and our entrees, all fish, were well prepared and tasty, including my bacalao (cod), with crunchy straw potatoes. Service was good, not rushed, and there was a nice wine list, running the gamut from inexpensive to perhaps a bit overpriced. Our desserts, a chocolate mousse, a lemon pound cake, and slices of a chocolate salami, were very well received and should make any chocolatephile happy.