“Pathetic Staff”

Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: 75th Street
Transit: 1,2,3 to 72nd street & Broadway A,B,C to Central Park West & 72nd Street
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Pathetic Staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Disgusting / Pathetic Staff.....They don't know that they are working in Hospitality Industry. No Hospitality at all. Food is also not matched with Indian Standards.

• Visited July 2014

Callicoon, New York
“Over 30 Years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Serving the Upper West Side in New York. That's what their business card says and I know why.
Great food--Great service. And that is all we ever ask of a restaurant. My wife found it for lunch on our recent 5 day trip to the city. She took me there for dinner and, yet again, she was right.
Speaking of Indian food--there is a movie out there (find it on Netflix) called "LUNCH BOX". A romance based on Indian food. Get it you'll like it as much as you will like the food at Mughlai.

• Visited July 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good Indian on the UWS”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was disappointed that we could not make it to Brick Lane on this trip, so my husband appeased my desire for Indian by taking me to Mughlai, just around the corner from our hotel, and I'm glad he did. The food was fresh and so flavorful, and the variety of dishes was astonishing. I did find the fact that we had to order rice separately a bit off-putting, but that lemon rice has haunted my dreams since then. I need to figure out how to make it -- it was delicious. If you're in the neighborhood and hankering for Indian, you can't go wrong with Mughlai.

Visited July 2014
Bath, United Kingdom
“While living on the UWS this was my local Indian.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

As a Brit the food at Mughlai is different from what I've come to expect. Not bad different, but certainly this is not the same kind of sauce-based curries you find in the UK. For me the main courses tended to be a little bit less spicier than I was used to, and often more of a gravy/stock orientated sauce.

As a solo diner, I felt very relaxed coming to this restaurant in the evening. A complementary poppadom is given which comes with a very hot green chilli sauce and a (I think) taramind sauce. These are both good - although oddly these dips are probably the hottest things I ate here. It might be worth also providing a slightly milder sauce too. Main courses are about 18-20CF and rice comes as an extra. I'm fine with that as I do not always want rice with my curry, and here I often chose the roti to have with my meal. Curry wise I only had the lamb, apart from once when I had chicken, but felt this was a little dry. The lamb however was very succulent and tasty. Other things I would recommend - vegetable samosas - presented differently than I've had before, but delicious. And for dessert I had the Rasmali which is made with cottage cheese and condensed milk. It may sound odd but it was actually a wonderful palate cleanser.

Again as a Brit this is perhaps more expensive than you'd expect in the UK. As a solo diner I was often paying over 45$ (with a tip) for a main course, side dish, and glass of wine, but I felt the quality of ingredients was worth it. One small thing is that I think the house red wine which is $9 a glass could be improved - I wasn't keen on either of the choices I tried, and in fact preferred the Pino Grigio and I'm normally a red wine drinker.

All in all if you're around the UWS and have a hankering for Indian food, I don't think you'd be disappointed with this place, as long as you keep an open mind, and try a few different dishes.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank bathreviewsmc
San Jose CA
“Great family friendly Indian restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We left the Museum of Natural History tired and HUNGRY, all 4 adults and 2 picky children eaters (OK, some of the adults are picky as well....)

The restaurant had space, and patience while we asked questions before ordering. The food was hot, fresh and plentiful. I appreciated the service, and the fact that we did not need to wait in line. It really hit the spot! And if I lived int he city I would definitely return again.

• Visited March 2014