“Very Very Special”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed 30 August 2014

wanted a special place to celebrate our anniversary. on the recommendation of a friend we selected Scalinatella. Doesn't look like much from the outside but wait until you get inside. greeted immediately by the hostess. we were a bit early for our reservation so we went up to the cozy little bar. the bartender quickly took our order. table also came open quickly so we were seated and the bartender brought us our drinks. superb wait staff - gave us all the specials and quickly took our order. my wife had some type of fish and I had spaghetti. we topped it all off with the tiramisu (perhaps the best I have ever had). from top to bottom this is one of the best meals I ever had. service, atmosphere, food . . . everything was great. was able to get the waiter to bring surprise gift for my wife when desert was served. was simply a perfect meal

1  Thank jon s

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were looking for a late dinner and I couldn't remember the name of another Upper East Side Italian place we had enjoyed (later remembered it was Campagnola). Scalinatella was recommended by the Concierge at the Plaza Hotel. Arrived for a late meal and were pleasantly surprised to find this bistro/trattoria in the basement off the street. We were seated quickly and offered drinks and immediately presented with a couple of amuse bouche while we looked at the menu. Then the waiter told of the "specials not on the menu" and the list was long. I don't think we actually ate anything from the menu! We started with a shared plate of pappardelle with table shaved truffles in a cream sauce. Very rich and well flavoured. We also shared zucchini blossoms stuffed with cheese deep fried and served over a light tomato ragu. My partner had a veal paillard and i had the dover sole. Both very beautifully presented. Dessert was uninteresting, mango gelato served in the shell of the fruit...not particularly inspiring. The service was a bit rushed to start and we actually had to mention that we were Not in a Rush! The other issues was the staff openly and publicly arguing with each other in front of the guest. Take it outside or to the kitchen. Not professional. The price is expensive for what it is but the food was good. Not sure it was worth $500 for dinner for 2.

3  Thank Piperbear
Reviewed 14 June 2014

A truly great Italian fare in a cosy , crowded, buzzy , charming,and beautiful spot. the restaurant is in a basement as such one descends to it. The food was superb , the pastas heavenly ,and the best Tiramisu I have had this side of the pond... one of us also asked for Zabagleone which wasn't on the Menu but the chef was kind enough to oblige.... Excellent and impeccable service... A true joy to have eaten there ..Highly recommended..

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I loved it. I had the branzino, which was exquisitely prepared. Very fresh, exactly what I was looking for. Wine was fantastic. Great character in the restaurant. Tiramisu was out of this world. Would love to go back.

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We had 6 in our party and the night could not have gone better. The service was great and the food was better. Everything we had was delicious.