“This is NOT Vietnamese food”
Review of thai son

thai son
Ranked #3,463 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Delivery
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I am a big fan of Vietnamese food so we have picked this restaurant. I did not know what to expect but I thought: hey, why not.
Our starter: fresh springrols were good. But main dish was a big disappointment. Trust me, as I've been to Vietnam and many Vietnamese restaurants, this is far the worst. Toillets were VERY dirty, staff not at all professional (you got your bill while you were still eating), and food was in general poor.

There are newer reviews for thai son

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We ordered three dishes - one was amazing, one was ok and the other was tasteless. The service was informal and the style of the restaurant reminded me of an English greasy spoon cafe but with an Oriental touch to it.

The price was pretty decent, about $25 for the three dishes and two drinks. As mentioned in another review, I would agree that this is a decent venue for some lunch but I would have been disappointed if I'd have come here for my evening meal.

On the whole pretty good authentic and informal Vietnamese and Thai food but lacks a bit of refinement in regards to the setting, service and atmosphere.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Ordered 4 different meals. Two of them were good, the other two fairly mediocre. Decent place for a lunchtime soup but not dinner

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and I popped in here one snowy January evening for dinner, not less than a month back from our honeymoon in Southeast Asia. Having gone through the food markets and dining on street eats in Hanoi, Hue, and Saigon, we were all sorts of ready to see if those food adventures could be recreated. Thai Son comes very close. Let's start with their Pho, a Vietnamese staple. The broth and noodles were delicious. The meat was fantastic. The only thing lacking was a wide variety of herbs from which to add, but hey, it's NYC in winter. Next we had their summer rolls. Delicious. Full Stop. Banh Mi. The baguette was slightly over-toasted, but other than that, no problem. Bun Thit Nuong. Pork was delicious. Lastly, I had an iced vietnamese coffee with condensed milk to wash it all down. We'll be back.

1  Thank NascarSean
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I'm not a huge Vietnamese food fan, so I wasn't crazy about going into this place. My friend and I were over-ruled by our wives, who can't seem to get enough pho. The inside is not fancy, but it's OK and is comparable to most modestly-priced Chinese restaurants. They had a nice selection of Vietnamese and other Asian beers, I'll have to admit. After eating around NYC, I was impressed by their prices. When the food came, I was also impressed by the portions. I cannot comment much on the food quality or taste except that our two picky wives enjoyed it and, I enjoyed the spring rolls and beer. So, if Vietnamese food is to your liking, you won't go too wrong in this place. Even if you don't like it, you won't be out that much money.

1  Thank Shaka_Frank