“Wondering About Zagat?”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 15 June 2014

So maybe we're just not clued in to what is so special here, but Zagat's 23 rating escaped us. Yes, looks like the real deal with many Chinese speakers dining, so maybe our palates just weren't calibrated (although have traveled throughout Asia and loved the food), but thought this one of the blandest more disappointing authentic Chinese food experiences. Tea not even hot. Maybe we didn't order right, but we had 4 dishes and only one was even good. Don't get the allure, and I love Chinatown, but not his spot.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

If I could give this restaurant negatives stars, I would. We had a party of 11 this evening, and this was by far the worst meal ANY of us have ever had. Our waiter had zero grasp of the English language, therefore our order was neither taken nor delivered properly. We tried desperately to order spare ribs as an appetizer…..six times actually. Our waiter was so resistant to taking an order for an appetizer that was actually listed as a main dish, that he appeared to take the order and never brought them, seemingly almost out of spite. We ordered a bird's nest…also never brought. Who knows if we were ever charged for it…all the names of the dishes were written in Mandarin or Cantonese. When we tried to pay with a credit card, we were told that the credit card machine was broken, and that they would only accept cash. Funny how they had an ATM right in the front. I have never seen such passive aggressive service in an establishment. We took out of towners here for a unique Chinatown experience while they were in New York, and what an embarrassment and a disappointment. We felt discriminated against because we were American…what disparate treatment we received. Eleven people all at once cannot be wrong.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

We ate here on a recent visit to Chinatown and I have to say I don't understand the positive ratings this place has received. We have eaten at many other Chinatown restaurants and this was by far the worst we've had. Although we were eating a late lunch and there were only 2 other tables filled in the restaurant, it took forever to get our food. My husband had to ask for rice 3 times before it finally came. The dishes were okay to barely edible. I ordered a steamed fish dish and received a giant bowl of mushy, battered stuff that tasted like paste. Would not go back.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

I have eaten here regularly since it was operated under a different name (New Harbor City in Chinese) for over 20 years. We consider this our canteen, and the food here is fresh and on-point excellent. Open until 2:30am every night, don't come here for the decor. The service may seem off-putting to non-Chinese speakers, but don't worry, they give everyone the same matter-of-fact treatment, it really is more friendly than you think, just don't expect the staff to do anything special for you. The live seafood is the draw here, but their fresh greens and vegetables, ceramic pot casseroles, and other traditional Cantonese dishes are all very well executed and for a price you cannot beileve. They also do Chinese hotpot (not on the menu) with anything you ask, if you don't know, just point at what the neighbors are eating and they will explain it. I would definitely do the "When Harry Met Sally" method of "I'll have what she's having." It's all great!

1  Thank ChurchillParis
Reviewed 10 September 2012

This is the go to Chinese restaurant for my family and friends and we have been going here for years.

If you're looking for ambiance then perhaps this isn't the best place for you. It's a straight out of Chinatown movie scene when you walk in. From the waiters to the decor this place screams old school. But you're not coming here for the scenery, you're coming for the food and that's where Fuleen just absolutely nails it.

Try the lobster with XO sauce...actually make that a double order! The pan fried beef noodles are sublime. Take a look at the fish tank and have one of the waiters recommend a dish for you or, better yet, ask them what they would order. The drunken prawns, the scallops, the crabs and the salt and pepper pork chops are all order worthy.

The service is always friendly...maybe that's because we've been going for years but maybe that's also why we have been going for years. They always greet us with a smile and a very warm welcome that's followed by,"Want beer?". And you can't say no either because one of our favorite waitresses will call you out each and every time. I just really, really, like this place.

Oh and one more thing, and I hope they still do this, BYOB!