“Great restaurant”

Cuisines: African, Ethiopian, French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Love the special tibs . I have been here three times in the past year and have had a great experience each time. Service is very caring and attentive and the food is flavorful and fun. Don't overdo it on the spongebread (use smaller pieces) or you will get full quickly. Save some space for additional appetizers and dishes instead.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Went with my wife, two adult children and one of their wives, a nephew and his girlfriend. Had gone to the neighborhood to eat at Queen of Sheba, another Ethiopian restaurant but they had no room. Asked my Android smart phone what other restaurants were nearby and surprise, surprise it said another Ethiopian one was less than 200 yards away. We walked around the corner to find a very attractive, practically empty place. We ordered a number of combination plates to be served on their bread Ethiopian family style, and it was every bit as good as the Queen's but at a lower price. Service was very, very helpful and the Ethiponian beer was very tasty. Followed it up with a Broadway show (Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart). NYC is a great place to visit.

3  Thank Joe B
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I am not an expert on Ethiopian cuisine - so I will not vouch for its authenticity, but whatever we had tasted really good. The spices used seemed really exotic - and the act of eating by hand and the sourdough bread reminded of of Indian bread (Roti).. particularly Dosa, for those who would know. Overall, very tasty food! - and I would definitely visit again if I am in NY. For 3 of us, we ordered the Veg Combo, and 3 Entrees + a bottle of Ethiopian "Amber Beer" each. The bill came to about $78, plus tip!

The service was a little slow, but the wait was well worth it, without a doubt!

1  Thank Amit_Haralalka
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Ethiopian cuisine is a definite find for vegetarians, and some of the vegetarian food actually is better than the meat dishes. I've dined at several Ethiopian restaurants and while I am far from being an expert, I can tell you what I like and don't like. Meskerem serves good food but the portions are not huge and the food is ok. The vegetarian combo is quite good, yet all of the dishes seem to taste the same. I would have liked to have had a greater range of flavor. The injera bread was excellent and the amount served was just right. I've been to Ethiopian restaurants where the bread is clearly stale, that is not the case here. The bottom line is: Meskerem is a good restaurant with great injera.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

An informal restaurant this place has awesome food. The combo platter makes sense if you're alone as I was so that you can sample quite a few dishes without paying a bomb. The individual dishes are a bit pricey.
The food is great. All the curries have distinct and delicious flavours and the injera bread is soft and perfect for soaking up the curries.
Excellent Ethiopian coffee rounded up the meal wonderfully
Do go try it out if you like Ethiopian food.