“An amazing experience!”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 8th and 9th Avenues
Description: La Pulperia, a restaurant featuring rustic Latin cuisine from Chef/Owner Carlos Barroz and Victor Medina, opened on Monday, February 11 on Restaurant Row, at 371 W. 46th Street. Named for the general stores found throughout South America, La Pulperia offers Barroz’s simple yet refined food from the countries of Latin America, with European influences from places like Italy and Spain. La Pulperia, designed by Andres Gomez (Red Rooster, Whitehall, SoCo) mirrors the authentic pulperias of South America, with handcrafted floor tiles from Mexico, reclaimed wood from Brazil on the ceiling and walls, and abundant shelving displaying top shelf liquor, fresh produce, and wine. Eventually the restaurant will sell packaged foods, like its namesake. It seats 60 (including a long burgundy banquette along one wall and a large communal table in the center of the dining room). Gomez’s handmade brass lamps with Edison bulbs hang over several of the tables.
Zanesville, Ohio
“An amazing experience!”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We visited the restaurant for the first time this past weekend. First the service was amazing! Everyone from the bartender, server, owner and general manager were fabulous! All were incredibly gracious and provided us with tremendous amounts of information regarding various menu options. Their cocktails were amazing. We were fortunate enough to sample various ones amongst our group. The El Chilango was really outstanding. The food was amazing. We really enjoyed the Taquitos De Longosta, Salmon Brulee and house made guacamole. This establishment will definitely be a prime stop on our next trip to NYC.

• Visited April 2013

Portland Oregon
“Great Food, Friendly Service”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I love to visit this restaurant when I am in New York. A friend recommended it and I was traveling alone. I didn't want an entree and just asked if I could have a sampling of small items. They happily fulfilled my request and I was able to eat an drink my way through their menu without eating just an entree. Portion sizes are good too if you are looking for an entree.

• Visited June 2012
Bessemer, Alabama
“Chilean food at it's best!”
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Visited on a Thursday night. Food was so fresh and good. Fresh homemade bread with fresh "salsa" which we could not get enough of. Everyone enjoyed their meal. The employees were more like host and made you feel more of a welcomed guest than just a customer. Would definitely go back again.

• Visited January 2013
New York
“Delicious but Pricey”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I've been going to Pomaire for years and although it's located in my not so favorite area of the Theater District, I still make an effort to stop in once in a while.My go to dish is the Pastel de Choclo, a very hearty stew of meat and chicken topped with golden corn. It's really delicious and filling -- I would recommend two people sharing one.

My only complaint is that is seems to be getting more and more expensive for simple "country" style meals. The salads are very fresh but $9 for a salad consisting of celery and half a sliced avocado is a bit much. The soup which is a more of a consomme was $10. I left with $100 less in my wallet for a lunch for two.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank DRoman
“Worth trying again”
Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

Was rushed to get there and out o a play-- crazy traffic even for Manhattan Theatre district on a Saturday night in the holiday season. Service was okay, nothing special. Menu was interesting. I don't know much about Chilean food, but nothing appeared "cookie cutter" probably best dish was chicken in a copper pot-- moist, tender and delicious. Ribs were ok, but the spicy mashed potatoes they were served with were something special. Fish dishes were ordinary. Empanadas were good but cheese in all of ones we ordered (cheese, spinach/cheese, chicken/cheese) made them taste similar. Would try it again if I had more time but would not make a special visit.