“Rude, unapologetic, not a good price/quality ratio”
Review of Kuruma Zushi

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 5 May 2013

My wife and I made reservations for dinner to celebrate my wife's birthday on a Saturday. We did not know that half of the menu is not available on Saturdays and Sundays. We were looking forward to having our favorite japanese dish - anago. When we arrived at the restaurant the waiter handed us the menu and, according to the menu, anago was available. The waiter asked for our order, and when we said anago, he blurted out that anago is not available on Saturdays and Sundays. I hate it when restaurants don't tell you in advance what they don't have. He clearly knew they did not have many things on the menu, but did not tell us and hoped we'd choose something that they had at that time and was available. Of course there was absolutely no apology, in fact, the waiter made us feel guilty for asking for something which was not available, and for not coming during the week when apparently anago is available. The food we ended up having was mediocre and overpriced for what it was.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

We went there with a group of 8 for dinner and the entire experience was bad. The location is up a set of steps into a dark stairwell. The staff is not friendly and actually stared at us during dinner. The sushi was at best average and very expensive $600 for 8 with just a few beers. Overall there are way better choices in Manhattan Sushi Zen being one. Not a keeper

1  Thank WVFoodFan
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Very good fresh lunch option at a reasonable price! Can't go wrong with that! My friend and I sat at the sushi bar and both enjoyed the sashimi lunch. We were given a nice tasty miso soup to start and then we received a plate of four different types of sushi, three pieces each (tuna, yellowtail, and two other white fish). We also were given three little pats of sushi rice with assorted toppings. All for $25, which was a steal. Definitely recommended!

Reviewed 27 November 2012

Not a pleasant experience, it was empty, very expensive, i do not recommend this place. Very disappointing. Do not make the mistake of walking across that walls in the second floor because you will be ripped off. Never again. Unacceptable.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Living in NY there is a wide range of sushi choices. I needed to meet up with my cousin for lunch and I picked a place close to his hotel. I saw the reviews and I thought I would give it a try. I ordered the tekka roll lunch and I thought they were very dry. Also, I wanted spicy mayo as an alternative to soy sauce, but to my surprise they did not have that. 3 tekka rolls cost $20, way too much, I think. I will not go back

2  Thank montymamma