“Classic New York Steakhouse”
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
Ranked #75 of 15,868 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$31 - US$100
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Reviewed 25 June 2018

My wife and I had lunch at Keens and couldn't be happier that we did. The decor and ambiance of the establishment screams classic New York up-scale dining. I wonder how many business deals were consummated over a meal in one of their subduedly lit corner booths? What drew our attention to Keens was that it was featured in an episode of "Billions". The menu is well appointed for lunch or for dinner, and the service is excellent. While it may be a bit on the pricer side of lunchtime venues in Midtown New York, it is well worth the experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,069)

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

I make a trip to New York every 2 years to visit my friend. I can say that even if I lived here and ate out twice a day, I would have only eaten at a fraction of the restaurants! My friend always finds us new and different places to eat mainly according to reviews or her experience.

Keens is a very elegant steakhouse with a true fine dining experience. The atmosphere is relaxing and fairly quiet so you can actually have conversation in a normal voice. The service is beyond extraordinary! They are extremely friendly and checked on us often but not overbearing. The food is fabulous! Every course is perfect and flavorful. Some would consider it pricey but you get what you pay for.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We went to NYC for our anniversary. We are a small town Midwest couple who have never seen NY, but my husband said "Hey, if we are going to NYC we should eat at one of the fancy steakhouses." So our research led us to Keen's, which is what everyone said is the best steakhouse in the city.

I'm sure we did not look like we fit in there, but the service was phenomenal. They gave us free champagne for our anniversary which was a nice surprise. We ordered the thick cut bacon appetizer and that was better than expected. We both ordered steaks. I learned that Dry aged steaks are not really my thing. It was good, but not what I'm used to. My husband said he didn't know if he could ever go back to someplace like Outback ever again.

It's definitely pricy, like most everything in the city, but it was worth it for the experience. Our meal was around $200, so about $250 after tip. Still, we went mainly for the experience and it was a special occasion, and to say while we were there we ate dinner at the best steakhouse in NY.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

The restaurant has a dim, but warm lighting to inspire conversation and set the mood for for reminiscing as in would have been years back.

The wait staff were beyond friendly and helpful without being overly involved in the meal. The food maybe a little expensive but the quality of food and portion size makes it worth every dollar spent!!

I had a filet mignon paired with lobster and the wife had a filet. The meal was delicious and perfectly served. The staff recommended perfect wine to pair with our meals. The desserts were also huge and incredible!!

This is a must eat destination whenever you visit the big apple.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Fantastic steakhouse. Very traditional New York style steakhouse. Great meat and wine. Great before and after a show depending on your schedule. Highly suggest in midtown. One of the best in the city.