“Well worth the wait”

Ranked #967 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Good for: Child-friendly
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Cho Dang Gol is a casual dining establishment that embodies the coastal village located east of Seoul famed for making soft bean curd from local soybeans and sea water.
Toronto, Canada
“Well worth the wait”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I live in a city with a large selection of great Korean restaurants. But when I visited New Jersey/ NYC for 2.5 week, I came to this restaurant not only once or twice, but 4 times! Yes, it's really that good that makes the over one-hour wait worth the efforts.

A few of my favourite dishes:
- Spicy Galbi Jjim: short-rib stew with rice cake and squash pumpkin. The meat is so tender and nicely marinated. It falls off the bone.
- Jap Chae: the chewest glass noodle I've ever had.
- Mushroom and Tofu Jun Gol: hot pot with all sorts of mushrooms, veges and tofu. Tasty soup base.

The restaurant is very generous with side dishes and rice so keep that in mind when you make your order. One thing I really appreciate is that the restaurant doesn’t want customers to order way too much so no food will be wasted. It's nice when they care more than just make as much money as possible.

If you come during dinner hour, the wait will be long (Be prepared to wait for over an hour). Even with reservation, we still had to wait for 20 minutes. If you come after 9, the wait will be significantly shorter.

• Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
“Authentic Korean fare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

A pleasantly decorated little spot on 35th Street serving authentically prepared and presented Korean food at reasonable prices, not cheap but fair. We were impressed not just with the quality of the food but also with the outstanding service we received, Our waitress was there to offer us guidance with our choices and then ensure the food arrived promptly. She accompanied each dish with a short description of it's contents etc, which was appreciated, Will definitely return.

New London, Connecticut, United States
“Good Upscale Korean Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I had dinner at Cho Dang Gol on June 15, 2014 while visiting New York City. We love ethnic food, and there were good reviews of the restaurant, so we decided to give it a try. The restaurant was about 75% full when we arrived shortly before 6 PM. We were promptly seated and given a menu. Cho Dang Gol is an upscale Korean restaurant, and the prices are a tad above average. My wife and I ordered the kimchi dumplings, an omelet, a Korean pancake, and short ribs. Like many Asian restaurants, the service is very good, as we received our orders within 10 minutes. Our order came with numerous small side dishes including house made tofu. The tofu was superb, and we highly recommend it. In general, most of the other side dishes were tasty. In addition, the kimchi dumplings and omelet were both very flavorful, although my wife considered the Korean pancake only fair. The short ribs were extremely tasty and juicy and were the highlight of our dinner. In summary, my wife and I did not leave hungry, and we recommend this restaurant to anyone desiring Korean food. One added note, unlike many Asian restaurants, the employees of Cho Dang Gol speak fluent English.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

NYC is home to the second largest Korean population outside of the Korean Peninsula, so we expected the food to be good. We also saw the restaurant had been reviewed by the Food Network, so we didn't think we'd be steered wrong. We did have to wait around 30-40 minutes, but it was so worth it! Their kimchi was amazing--my husband and I will be craving that kimchi for a long time! The rest of the banchan was also excellent in addition to the entrees we ordered (kalbi, bibimbap, and soybean tofu soup). Delicious! If we ever get to come back to NYC, we will definitely be returning to this place!

Edgewood, Kentucky
“Great Omelette”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Ordered Omelette and Hot Stone Bowl ( bibimbap) with Chicken. Their Omelette was exceptionally good. Side dishes were different and good.

Visited March 2014