“it was pretty good restaurant week menu. the short ribs was yummy!”
Review of Riingo - CLOSED

Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: 2nd & 3rd Ave
Transit: 4,5,6,7 to Grand Central Station or E and V to 51st street
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“it was pretty good restaurant week menu. the short ribs was yummy!”
Reviewed 28 January 2009

it was pretty good restaurant week menu. the short ribs was yummy!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

New York
“Stylish and delicious dining”
Reviewed 25 April 2008

Riingo has been around for a few years, and I had been dying to try it since day 1. However, I have heard so many mixed reviews that it dropped down on my priority list. However, I tried it for the first time during Restaurant Week and was pleasantly surprised.

As I entered the dazzling two-story eatery, I was greeted by a friendly staff offering to take my coat and the zesty smell of fresh french fries wafting over from those relaxing in the lounge area. The restaurant has a small, but funky bar that keeps its patrons entertained with a television being projected on the glass wall behind it. A few lounge tables sit adjacent to the bar with floor-to-ceiling windows on the other side of them facing out onto the street. The lounge was filled with an after-work suit crowd snacking on sushi rolls and french fries...an odd mix that was actually quite appealing.

My friend arrived, and we were taken up the windy marble staircase to a delightful balcony with wine cellar walls displaying a variety of vintages. Throughout our meal, we had several servers, some of which were attentive and knowledgeable and others who were not at the top of their game. In terms of beverages, there is a substantial wine menu, including a large number of wines by the glass. There are also a few specialty cocktails, many incorporating sake to match with Riingo's Asian flair. Each of these cocktails will set you back between $12-15, though. After ordering your meal, the table is graced with the presence of a bread basket containing soy-flavored sesame crisps, sourdough rolls, and mini baguettes....all waiting to be topped with a homemade edaname hummus. Both the breads and the spread where fantastic!

As I mentioned, my friend and I arrived at Riingo to try the Restaurant Week 3-course tasting menu for $35. The first course choices where: 1.) Miso Cured Salmon Tataki with blood oranges and cilantro, 2.) Beer Braised Short Ribs with apple puree and hearts of palm, and 3.) Tuna Cucumber Roll. I enjoyed the miso salmon, which was a pile of fancy mixed greens, fennel and cilantro, garnished with blood orange slices, pomegranate seeds, and seared salmon slices...all in a miso dressing. The flavors were bold and powerful. My friend ordered the Tuna Cucumber Roll, which I found ordinary and bland.

For the main course, the choices were: 1.) Seared Striped Bass with mussels and spicy bean broth, 2.) Grilled Skirt Steak with butternut squash and collard greens, and 3.) Chili-Roasted Chicken with mushrooms and waterspinach. Though I rarely order red meat, I opted for the delicious-sounding steak. The perfectly grilled steak came as two medium-sized fillets over grilled collard greens and sweet pureed butternut squash. The steak was covered with a thick brown sauce. The flavors all complimented each other: a mix of savory, sweet, and bitter. It was a delicious meal! My friend tried the bass, which was served with extremely thin angel hair pasta in a light bean broth. The bass was fresh and moist. The pasta and sauce were delicate accompaniments. It was also a great dish.

The dessert choices included: 1.) Donuts with green tea ice cream and cinnamon sabayon and 2.) Coconut Ginger Flan with banana yogurt ice cream. We tried one of each. The donuts themselves were like little Munchkins that were crisp on the outside and a bit dry inside, but stuffed with a green tea custard. The donuts were covered in some sort of powdered green tea and plated with creamy green tea ice cream over a cinnamon yellow raisins. It was sweet and substantial. I am not a huge flan fan, so I may be bias here, but I didn't love the flan. It definitely had a nice coconut flavor and good texture. The banana ice cream had a natural banana taste and was quite good. I also ordered a cup of decaf coffee, which was great, however wound up costing $4!

When the waiter brought our check, we did receive two terrific bonuses. First, an amazing dark chocolate truffle filled with ganache creme that was almost orgasmic. Plus, two $25 gift certificates for our next (non-Restaurant Week) meals at Riingo.

I will definitely be going back to Riingo, and not just because of the gift certificate!

United States
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 29 January 2008

I had heard good things, and I've been to Marcus's Aquavit, so we were expecting greatness.

If you go, be sure to avoid the table we had: in the hallway next to the server's station. Each time they grabbed some silverware, they slammed the drawer closed and we felt it in the back of our booth seat. Plus, we were privy to all their chit-chat about other tables--- not cool.

When I ordered a Gibson to start, our waitress was not quite sure what it was. I explained that a Gibson is a gin martini served with cocktial onions. The woman at the next table said, 'I think he's the only man in the world who knows what a Gibson is!".

The braised short rib dish was unique: the meat was seared into a block about the size of a deck of cards (but twice as thick). The result is a crisp, carbon exterior--- wonderfully, juicy within.

About $140 for the three of us.

Will not return.

NJ
“Definitely will return for a less rushed dinner.(My fault not theirs!)”
Reviewed 27 December 2007

Made the mistake of not leaving enough time to get to the restaurant on a Friday night during the Christmas season. Arrived an hour late for my reservations, but was graciously received. With play tickets across town we decided to go the sushi route. (although a few entrees piqued our curiosity) We were not disappointed with the quality or presentation of the rolls we ordered an any place that has blue fin toro is all right in my book, The puffed rice shrimp roll was ahighlight and the loaded miso hit the spot on a cold night in NYC. After such a nice effort to accomodate our rush, I definitely would try this place again when the time allowed a more leisurely meal.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook