“just plain awful--(see my advice, below, to improve)” 2 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Midtown
stamford, ct
“just plain awful--(see my advice, below, to improve)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Mendy's has two different kiosks in the lower level of G.C.T., and I only ever go to the "dairy" kiosk because I don't eat meat. Normally, I would say the place is of good quality, but very expensive for what you get, ostensibly due to the cost to assure that all is Kosher and under strict supervision. However, on today's visit, I was lied to by the cashier, and what I wound up getting, which cost $7.57, was a miniscule sandwich, which was supposed to be a baguette with delicious fried flounder with fresh lettuce and tomato. In actuality, my sandwich was not on a baguette, but on a baguette-shaped soft roll (with the taste of Wonder Bread), with ice-cold, soggy and under-seasoned fish, limp and turning lettuce, and styrofoam-like,,thin enough to read a newspaper through it, sliced tomoto--there were no distinguishing textures, no juxtaposition between a well-seasoned warm and crispy-hot piece of fish on a fresh, crusty and chewy baguette with mouth-wateringly fresh crisp lettuce and vine ripened piquant tomatoes--it was dreadful, but the cashier swore up and down that it was really good and tasty. Mendy--get your act together--you can be a dairy restaurant and still have good, nay even delicious foods (I have a dairy kosher kitchen, and my home cooking is lauded far and wide)--you don't have to settle, and until you change for the better, I don't think that I will be coming back--it's as simple as that. Is it any wonder that you are not as busy as your competition? It is not because there aren't enough patrons who would eat Kosher dairy food, it is because the other kiosks are better values because they serve higher quality, interesting, well-seasoned foods at more reasonable prices.Get a copy of the Ratner's cookbook, and make their recipes--Ratner's was a world famous kosher dairy restaurant on the Lower East Side, and their cookbook should be your bible! I bet you if you listen to my advice, your business will pick up, because your customers will be thrilled to have delicious Kosher dairy food available in G.C.T.

Visited December 2013

chicago
“split pea soup is a must”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

so I'm a huge Seinfeld fan so I had to see for myself what was going on. I had a tuna salad sandwich on rye bread both very fresh. The pea soup was very good but something was missing, maybe the ham. It was on the thin side all the pea soup i've had is usually a bit thicker. It was very good and I would get it again, It tasted very healthy( because no ham) it had very small cudes of carrots and onions. I wish I had a BIG POT so I could take some home with me. The deli area is on the small side and it does smell kinda funky. They do have a dining area but you have to order from the menu in order to sit there even if the deli is packed and it was and we had our suitcases with us and NO ONE is understanding they just pushed us out of the way. So with trays of food in hand we had to wait for a table even with a empty dining room. This deli does come with N.Y / Jewish attitude. not one person who worked there seemed to care that we were struggling. The cashier was just watching us to see what was going to happen next, if I was going to drop my food or something like that. Next time we will try Toms diner (MONKS)

• Visited December 2013
Merrick, New York
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Whenever I see a groupon deal for a kosher restaurant, I grab it, because my husband only likes to eat in kosher restaurants, and there are so few that advertise with restaurant discount coupons. Thinking that we would be in the city for a show, I purchased the coupon to Mendys this past weekend.
I was disappointed with the food. First of all, we ordered chicken fingers as our appetizer. They were tough and stringy. We order them in Bens kosher restaurant both in Nassau county and in Boca Raton, and they're always great! The chicken fingers at Mendys were inedible.
Our next course was steak. I ordered the prime rib with mashed potatoes and my husband ordered the skirt steak, which was good. My steak and potatoes were served cold. I asked the server to reheat them. She was very pleasant. She took my plate to the kitchen and returned within five minutes, but I don't think that she reheated anything, because she served them to me cold again. I didn't bother to complain. I just asked her to pack my meal to take home, where I reheated it the next day. The steak was kind of chewy and tough. So I don't think I received a good value, even with the coupon which cost $50. The wine that they offered was not good. It was red wine mixed with a sweet less expensive wine. Maybe they serve this inexpensive wine to the groupon customers. I might return here for soup and sandwiches, but not for any other type of meal.

• Visited November 2013
New preston CT
“Absolutely the worst”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I have never had such terrible deli.
People who are Kosher are locked into limited choices but never ever choose this restaurant.
We had stuffed cabbage and chicken in the pot w/ matzoh balls.
All was disgusting food.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank EdwinHochberg
brighton
“More then we could eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Went Sunday lunch very quite, huge quantities and very good, cost about the same as Kosher restaurant in Golders Green etc.so value for money.

Visited August 2013