“just in case”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: Take B, D, F trains to Rockefeller Center or B & E to 7th avenue & 53rd street.
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We ate there on the vening of our varrival in NY...Just the occasion to do...
Food is just correct, service not always attentive...
But it's attached to the Flatotel which is perfect in his category and highly recommanded...

Reviewed 20 December 2009

This restaurant was a nice suprise. My wife and I were going to see the Rocketts at Radio City Music Hall and found this restaurant about a block and half away. The people were very friendly and the food was very good. I would reccomend this to everyone!

Reviewed 6 October 2007

Date of visit was 14 Sept 2007. I was in New York City for a long weekend with a friend and we tried this restaurant one evening before heading to the theatre. What a pleasant surprise it was! At first we weren't sure things were going to go smoothly. We didn't have reservations and the hostess made us think that it might be a problem, even though it was very early and there was only one table seated at the time. But we were seated and the server was very personable and charming. The busboy/drink server kept our water glasses full almost 100% of the time and the plate of bread/cheese/olives that we were treated to before our meals was unbelievably tasty! Our meals were delivered to us in a reasonable amount of time and the food was quite good. I had a chicken pasta dish. It wasn't the best pasta I've ever had, BUT I did enjoy it very much and I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a pasta dish with so much chicken in it! This pasta had more meat than any other pasta dish I have ever had at any restaurant ever. So, let me be clear, - the pasta was good. The noodles, chicken and sauce were prepared perfectly. I really enjoyed it, but it didn't knock my socks off. That's all I'm saying. Anyway, my friend and I decided to pass on dessert, so we asked for the check, but before the check, the server brought us a plate of cookies and nuts and a few figs and strawberries. It was splendid! A perfect finish to a delightful meal. I don't remember the decor of the restaurant very well, but I do remember it being simple and classy. My friend had a coupon for $25 off our meal, but even without that coupon, the prices were VERY reasonable and considering the delicious bread plate before the meal and cookie plate after the meal, you will be getting your money's worth at this restaurant. I give this restaurant an excellent rating because the server was so pleasant, the bread plate with the cheese and olives was delicious, the cookie plate was such a delightful and unexpected surprise, there was SO much meat in the pasta dish and the busboy worked very hard to please us! My friend and I were very, very pleased and were tempted to eat there every night during our trip. I hope others will have the same great experience we had.

2  Thank binsca
Reviewed 3 January 2007

We loved the location. We loved our server. He was very polite, on top of things and funny too. The food on the other hand was very mediocre. The chef chose to top the salads with some sort of dried bread crumb like cheese toast. It was not appetizing at all to bite down on all those itty bitty morsels of crunchiness. We were not sure if we were biting in to sand from poorly rinsed greens or if it was the dried crumbles, but nonetheless, very unappetizing. My husbands lamb chops were tasty but had to be sent back due to being way overcooked. The wines were way too pricey considering the selection. My sea bass was cooked properly, but the sauce lacked any flavor. If anything, the whole dish, which was served with white beans as a side needed a splash of wine and maybe some garlic and fresh herbs. The chef ought to know better and he needs to taste his food for seasoning before sending it out to the table. The decor was funky and a little off for what was supposed to be an upscale italian eatery. Moda had a more nightclubish vibe and looked liked the walls needed a good painting. We figured it was an attempt at a rustic decor mixed with modern style. All in all we loved the server for his candor. We would not return for the food. I would rather have eaten at any chain restaurant just to have some flavor with my dinner. Just not up to New York's standards...sorry!

1  Thank msprintkmk
Reviewed 10 November 2004

Being from out of town and staying in New Jersey, I had logistical considerations when making a reservation for after the theatre. The concierge was more than helpful and everything worked out exactly as he said it would. We had a great time at the theatre, a wonderful meal, and made it to the ferry on time.