“Really worth a visit”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: 56th Street between 5th and 6th Avenue
Transit: N/R line to 7th Avenue and 57th Street F line to 6th Avenue and 57th Street 4,5,6 to 59th Street and Lexington Avenue
Description: Appealing and inviting, that’s the great open fire cooking served up by acclaimed Chef Waldy Malouf at Beacon Restaurant. The bold flavors of Malouf’s cuisine are in perfect harmony with this high-energy atmosphere. Dishes like Wood Roasted Oysters with Shallots and Suckling Pig with Bitter Chocolate waken and delight the senses. Located in the heart of midtown Manhattan, Beacon’s open kitchen lets guests in on the action- and with a seat in “The Pit,” you’ll have the ultimate view of kitchen activities. Celebrate or relax with a cocktail from Beacon’s adventurous specialty drinks menu, which features tempting house creations as well as tried and true classics. Sleek and sophisticated, there are plenty of reasons why Beacon’s dining room has been full since opening in 1999.
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We were told that Beacon is largely a business-lunch restaurant, and is fairly quiet in the evening, which we found to be the case. But somehow it still managed to create a lively and sophisticated atmosphere. The food was outstanding and interesting without being fussy, the wine expertly recommended, the cocktails well made.
The staff are entertaining and knowledgeable -- we enjoyed some lively conversations about the food: for example, the "shishito peppers" featured on the menu. As it turned out, they're what we knew as pimientos del padron, but apparently they're now being imported from Japan. Who knew? (And they were delicious.) The lamb was sensational; they buy it direct from the producer and the flavour was incredible.
Beacon was the only restaurant we returned to twice during our week in Manhattan. If you're really interested in excellent dining without spin or silliness, you'll enjoy Beacon.

Reviewed 4 October 2012

Last year we visited Beacon after we renewed our wedding vows in central park and because we had such a wonderful evening I booked a trip back to New York to celebrate my 40th in the same restaurant.
7 of us flew over and 2 more friends who live out there joined us and all I can say is it lived up to all my expectations. Beacon delivers in every aspect from food to service to ambience. I don't think there is anything they haven't thought about. The starters were amazing and the steaks are just out of this world. The staff are phenomenal and nothing is too much trouble for them. They made my birthday perfect and I have come home with the most wonderful memories of a fantastic evening.
We really did book a 7 night trip to New York because Beacon was where I wanted to celebrate! They were amazing!
Thank you all so much and one day we will be back again!

Reviewed 4 October 2012

I had a craving for a nice, juicy lamb chop and stumbled upon the Beacon. It seemed nice. The menu was not cheap, but not OTT, so I expected it to be decent quality. Unfortunately, I was disappointed at every turn...

1. Tomato and Pepper soup starter - Was off. It was a cold soup and I suspect they make it in big batches and store it. It has a fizzy flavour to it like it was starting to ferment. It wasn't overwhelming and there was a jalapeno garnish so at first I thought it might be that. But in the end, I simply did not enjoy it at all and left half the bowl. I was too tired to complain.

2. Lamb Chops - Well, there is a bit of semantic greyness in the kitchen over lamb cuts. What I got served was officially a 'chop' as advertised on the menu (which is any cut including the spine or rib). But, usually restaurants describe what I got as a 'rack'. The rack is the smaller, more tender, more elegant cut. So what is wrong with getting the higher quality of meat than expected? First, I only got two small pieces. Everywhere in the world I have eaten serves rack of lamb in 3 pieces (or more). Secondly, I was simply in the mood for something bigger and meatier. Had I known that I was going to get some dainty racks instead of a hearty chop, I would have gone elsewhere. $38 for 2 tiny piece of lamb was rip off even for Manhattan (and left me still hungry).

3. Spinach side - Ooops...they forgot to bring this to me (part of the reason I was still hungry).

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Beacon Is another one of those standard eateries for our family. The prices are fair, the food is thoughtful and tasty and the restaurant is extremely family friendly.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Your Review:

Went to Beacon in July. Had a disappointing $100.00 lunch with two others. Out of our first dessert choice, offered a different one. Waitress came back a second time to say they were out of the one we were just offered. Dessert that was brought (3rd choice) was overly sweet and too heavy for summertime consumption. Wine ($15.00 glass) cleared before we were done, when we asked the busser if he mistakenly took the wine, he said yes and retrieved it from a tray of dirty dishes! Contacted management/chef who apologized and offered to refund check and give gift certificate. Sounds nice, right? 6 weeks and one reminder later, no such accomodation ever made. Beacon doesn't keep it's promise. Definitely find better food and service elsewhere.

2  Thank dpa