“Amazing Food, Somewhat stuffy staff”
Review of Per Se

Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: 60th Street
Transit: 1,9,B,D,A,C to Columbus Circle
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My girlfriend and I like to experience good restaurants. When I travel for business and she comes, we will seek out good places to eat.

Part of the whole idea with our trip to NYC was to eat at some of the most reputable places and have fantastic food experiences.

We visited Per Se, Daniel, Bouley, The River Cafe and Le Bernardin.

The food (and daily changing menu) was an absolute home run. Some of the very best food we had on the trip was had at Per Se. Their attention to detail (sending us home with goodies) was also fantastic.

My only gripe is their service is somewhat stuffy. Look, I know that the restaurant is not for riff raff, but at the same time I felt that the staff, while professional and did their job very well, lacked personality.

Perhaps the idea is that the staff wants to stay out of the way and let diners experience the food. And if that's the case, then I'm not quite as put off. However, I feel there should be a bit of effort to engage with the diners and be a bit warmer. We never felt as comfortable here as we did at other establishments.

Per Se was our first dining experience in NYC. The restaurant's website vows to give you portions that make you want more and then deliver something else that is extraordinary. Mission accomplished.

3  Thank Brian H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,613)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I was on a business trip in NYC and the concierge at the hotel got for me a seat on same day notice at the saloon of the restaurant ( it is like the bar of the restaurant ) they serve there an a-la-cart menu whereas in the restaurant it is only the 9 course dinner.
The food was amazing - I am not a great fan of foie gras pâté', however the dish here was amazing also the lobster and the desert were top notch.
I would not go there for the main restaurant for the price (over $300 per person) even though I am sure it can be an amazing experience
Highly recommended
I will come again

1  Thank AM3108
Reviewed 31 July 2014

There is no question that the food here is outstanding. The baby oyster starter, and the halibut and the lamb were all faultless and delicious. Service is professional and the right balance between efficient and attentive, without being overly fussy. The room is quite small, but tables are well spaced. It is expensive, at $310 well above even the most expensive 3stars in London, and several options on the menu mainly involving truffles carry an excess. The wine list is also expensive, with nothing below $100. In fact the US champinoise at $110 was a good aperitif which was reasonably priced. We also enjoyed a St Peray at $125 and a Nice Pinot for $140. Thankfully with the 1.7$:£ exchange we could afford this hedonism!
It's definitely worth the experience if you enjoy exploring food. One small tip for Brits, try Opentable at 10.00 am UK time, we booked for 6 people 5 hours before the telephone lines open a month before.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

It is highly inappropriate to compare Per Se to other restaurants, for what is illustrated here is pure majesty on another level entirely. An otherworldly experience, where all senses are treated to their utmost capacity. Book early, for this is an event that truly makes the most of the term "degustation". No culinary request is ignored, no matter how particular. The service is exquisite, the food divine. You'll be leaving poor in the pocket, but rich everywhere else. Take those close to you and celebrate something momentous, because its times like these that make you thankful for everything you have, and just as much, grateful that institutions like this exist.

1  Thank TheEternalTraveller1
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The experience at Per Se is incredible. Whether you are eating the whole menu or just a la carte, the service is exquisite, the presentation a work a art. Every bite brings a new discovery. I just can't get enough of it...