“Life-changing pastrami!”

Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Deli
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown Manhattan (Downtown)
Reviewed 28 October 2019

I honestly did not even mind waiting in line to get in and order! And the people working behind the counter make the whole experience even better (how much I appreciated that little plate set in front of me for pastrami nibbling while I waited for my sandwich). Vibrant atmosphere,friendly service and the food? Unlike any pastrami sandwich I've ever had! It's simply good meat and you can't beat that! I went alone so I had to go for the half sandwich (pastrami on rye), only because I could not see me finishing the big one on my own and it would be a terrible waste. Definitely recommend poppin' down to Katz's if you're in NYC, I count this to be in the highlights of my trip. Till next time!

1  Thank 382angelikim
Write a reviewReviews (17,367)

Reviewed 27 October 2019

This is a well known restaurant in NYC, part of the popular culture in movies like When Harry Met Sally. The tradition has an explanation: they serve the best pastrami in the world (no joke!)

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank robertavarela
Reviewed 27 October 2019

You need to arrive here starving hungry as the portions are HUGE! Don't think I had ever realised you could put so much meat in one sandwich.
We came because we wanted a traditional NY deli and this one was recommended by an American friend. It did not disappoint. The pastrami sandwiches were delicious as was the turkey. Massive side portion of pickles.
We timed our visit perfectly and there were no queues. Easy to get a booth. Took a while to understand the 'ticket' system but as it was quiet they didn't rush us. Would definitely come again but maybe order 1 sandwich between 2.
Pretty pricey too but then I wouldn't eat here every day.

2  Thank Cabbie_66
Reviewed 27 October 2019

If you come here and endure the wait, the crowds, the hilariously snarky service and don't order the $22.00 pastrami sandwich you are missing everything! The macaroni salad too was so good that I'll think about both for a long time.

The chicken salad sandwich was delicious by any measure but after tasting the pastrami it felt like a misstep!

Can't wait to go back!

3  Thank 466ditad
Reviewed 26 October 2019 via mobile

Still hand slicing their Deli meats! Everything is so fresh. Kosher style means you can get a Ruben sandwich here or cheese on on your sandwich. The pickles are still great. The place gets packed so go early. The corned beef and pastrami are on the thicker side because they are hand sliced but you won’t find meat more tender. Get a potato pancake too. Don’t forget the Dr Brown’s Cel-Ray Tonic to wash it down!

Date of visit: August 2019