“We left feeling puzzled”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of wd~50 - CLOSED

wd~50
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: Stanton + Rivington
Transit: F Train to Delancey, JMZ to Essex
“We left feeling puzzled”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We were excited to come here and booked a long way in advance but we left feeling bewildered. We had the "short" tasting menu. It really didn't work. I've tried molecular gastronomy before and I love the exciting textures and intense flavours. This menu had too many jarring / overlapping tastes and flavours in each dish. The sweetbreads to start were bland. The lamb was excellent. The dessert was great but overall? Weird combinations. Our other slight complaint was that the staff, while super friendly are almost incomprehensible. Both of us strained to hear anything they said ( neither of us are deaf and the restaurant wasn't loud!) it wasn't a terrible meal, don't get me wrong, it was just disappointing given the build up and the cost.

Dallas, Texas
“Take it slow.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We enjoyed the 15 course with wine tasting very much. My friend thought the desserts had too much sugar though. The dishes were small but the wine was very generous. It is a good idea to not go on an empty stomach as I foolishly did. The wine will get to you so take your time! The artistry of the food was very appealing and it was like eating art! I was very impressed by the service as there was always someone right there to switch your silverware and give you a new course without being at all intrusive. It made the tempo of the dinner very pleasant. It was a great experience and I believe everyone should try it, (at least once).

San Diego
“Fun with the mad scientist”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Food meets art meets science and great service too!!! The only thing to to keep in mind is that its a tasting menu. I think you can do ala carte at the bar but if you are there, you may as well go all in and do the full experience.

Visited May 2014
New York City, New York
“Good but too pricey for what it is”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Another expensive tasting menu in NYC. Only 2 dishes were memorable, others were not.
We did the big tasting menu and by the end of the savory we were thinking we may have to go get a slice of pizza because we were still hungry. By the end of the desserts we were semi full but not satisfied. For a $250 per person meal, I like to be wowed a little. Way to expensive for what it was.
The only reason I put very good was because of the service. The staff was great. Very friendly, and understood service which is rare in NY these days.
Overall, if you really want to try it, go to the bar and order a single dish. Don't waste your money on the main dinner.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food, a few misses”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The restaurant has exceptional service. The first three course didn't really impress me too much. However, the overall 13 course tasting was very good. The black bass and duck were mind blowing dishes and the dessert were exceptional. But the oyster dish, the scallop, and the squash roasted peanut soup fell short for me. Overall, I was very happy with the restaurant and the meal. I would definitely go here again.