“Fresh, delicious Chinese; without the feeling like it came out of a vat.”

Grand Sichuan International - Chelsea
Ranked #4,910 of 13,689 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
New York City, New York
“Fresh, delicious Chinese; without the feeling like it came out of a vat.”
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Although the inside of the restaurant is nothing special, the food is good, service quick and the staff very friendly. Over the years I have eaten mostly thai instead of chinese as the flavors are much more prominent.for years I have felt that Chinese was always gross, soupy and covered in sauce but grand Sichuan consistently serves fresh vegetables, perfectly cooked white meat chicken in interesting and flavorful sauces. Good spot if you are looking to venture back into Chinese without feeling like you are drinking your vegetables. Grand Sichuan does it right.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Keene, New York
“Real Sichuan Food Cheap”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Was dying for authentic SIchuan food and found it here at a very reasonable price. Went for lunch after walking the High Line Park and it wasn't too crowded. Pork with spicy green peppers was great. Chicken with Chinese broccoli too.

• Visited August 2011
Union, New Jersey
“Excellent Spicy Sichuan - Pushy Servers”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I have been going to this resuaurant for 6 or 7 years. Was introduced to it my Chinese friends and I go back 4 or 5 times a year.

The FOOD is EXCELLENT! Many choices of authentic Chinese Sichuan food. NOT AMERICAN CHINESE . . . . . they might have the American variety but I've never checked. 60% to 70% of their customers seem to be Asian. I've been to restaurants in Beijing and Shanghai and this is very good . . . . and authentic.

The SERVICE is like most Chinese restaurants in the city. All servers serve all tables which means that you don't have a dedicated server who is working to get a good tip. Some benefits to this but I prefer a dedicated server.

PUSHY in that they expect you to eat and leave. Don't linger over your tea unless you want some dirty looks. On my last visit, my guest and I had finished our meal and paid the check. I was finishing my tea while he went to the men's room. One of the servers came over and said: "Can we have your table. We have people waiting in line?" . . . . Not a good way to keep Americans coming back. Made me wish I had not left a 20% tip. Next time I'll wait until I finish my tea before paying the bill.

I WILL KEEP RETURNING. The food is too good to resist. I won't be able to stay away but I'll go to some other restaurant if I want to take my time and chat for 5 or 10 minutes while finishing my tea.

• Visited May 2011
Tokyo
“Average”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We went bc the Not For Tourists guide said this was the best Chinese in NYC. That is not even close to being true. But it was good. Good vegetarian hot & sour (hard to find). Very fresh chinese broccoli--best quality I ever had. General Tso's tofu was over-fried, hard and a bit pathetic. Service is below average. Very good value. So, final score is average.

• Visited March 2011
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst chinese food I've ever had - lowest point in a great stay in NYC”
Reviewed 4 February 2011

The restaurant looked very busy for a Tuesday which we thought was a good sign. The service wasn't very attentive at all but not rude. I knew something was wrong when we ordered pork buns thinking they would be the home-made fluffy steamed ones I'd had many times before. Instead they brought us horrible processed bread buns (the supermarket own make type) injected with pork filling. Not a good start. I ordered sichuan style spicy chicken which was inedible, in fact I'm not at all convinced it was actually chicken, the texture was bizzare, rubbery and awful. My boyfriend had prawns that were in a nasty sauce that resembled wall paper paste. I basically had a meal of plain white rice. I love chinese food and this was terrible. We should have complained but we didn't want to make a scene and to be honest I wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. I think this place used to be very good but it has obviously gone downhill recently. Steer clear.

• Visited January 2011