“Great rooms but need to work on noise level”

Ranked #83 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My wife, dog and I stayed here for a night when our apartment was being painted. We thought the style and design of the room was very nice. The bed was also very comfortable. The motion sensors on the sink were a bit odd (trying to get my toothbrush to be in the exact spot of the sensor to brush my teeth was annoying), but otherwise we loved the room layout.

The big disappointment was the proximity of our room (#6) to the cafe and resulting noise. All night we heard staff moving things around and making noise (assuming guests were not pushing carts of things past after midnight). Not to blame the staff - it is likely the layout that is the issue. I suggested they may want to ask late night staff to wear quieter shoes, and they agreed this might be a good idea.

Staff was friendly, room was nice, but at $460 after tax, I expect a quiet night's rest. I want to give the hotel four stars, but because sleep quality is probably the most important aspect, I have to give it only three.

If you're staying on a higher floor, perhaps the four or five stars are warranted. I give Value four stars if you are bringing a small dog (no extra charge), but if not then it is only average value (three stars).

Room Tip: Don't accept a room on the first floor. If you are assigned room #6, ask for another room or a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank willthach
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear willthatch,

I want to thank you for providing us with your commentary from your recent stay. I’m glad that you found our beds comfortable, however, I do want to apologize for the discomfort you endured due to lobby noise. The juxtaposition of these two experiences is not what we strive for here at The High Line Hotel. I hope that you decide to stay with us again, and allow us the opportunity to rectify this unfortunate situation. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel if I can be of any future assistance.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

The highline doesn't seem ready for prime time.

Since it's a tad on the pricey side, we were expecting more than just a hotel trying to be cool. All the little things just kept adding up and we ended up staying three notes and then moving to another hotel for the remaining four mites of our trip. I've never done that before.

The little things are the bell guys watching us unload bags at the curb at 1am and not coming out to help, getting one room key as my wife and I checked in (no, they didn't ask how many keys we needed), super noisy room (the main reason we moved hotels - we do need to be able to sleep at a hotel), housekeeping that didn't clean our glasses, set our towels on the floor they didn't vacuum, no additional toiletries in three days, and the kicker of the Chapstick on the floor when we checked in, also, the coffee bar in the lobby doesn't connect to the hotel system, so charging something to the room is not an option. My favorite was coming back from dinner on Saturday nite all dressed up and being asked if we were checking in. Yeah, with no luggage we were checking in.

It's new, so no big deal on no towel bars or hooks and the typical trendy mood lighting in the room and no closet light. Generally, just not a really well functioning room. Cool neighborhood though.

Room Tip: Get on a high floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Derman
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Derman,

I really appreciate you taking the time to evaluate your stay with us at The High Line Hotel. The interactions you encountered with our staff are not the kind of relations we strive to build with our patrons. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel at any time. I hope we have the opportunity to have you back soon.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

First, the positives: The service was kind and friendly; one front desk worker went through great lengths to find a European converter for me (although truthfully they should have had one readily accessible in the first place). The design is atmospheric and quite pleasant. Super plush beds, although I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.

The standard queen sized room is advertised as 250 - 350 square feet. The first room they put me in was no more than 160 square feet, including the bathroom. (It was room 37 1/2, go figure.)
Not enough room to swing a cat, as the Brits say. There wasn't even any hanging space, come to think of it. After I protested, they put me in another room, which was no more than 180 square feet (and with pitched ceilings, so not ideal for tall people). To add insult to injury, they couldn't extend my stay for another evening because they were fully booked, so I had to lug all of my bags down to SoHo. (Not entirely their fault, I know, although some hotels would find another way.)

I specifically chose this hotel (instead of the hotel my colleagues were staying at) because of the advertised room size. I had several large bags because I was stopping over in New York before my move to Hong Kong, so you can imagine that I really needed that space.

All-in-all, this is not a full service hotel. Which is often fine in some cases, but when the rooms are microscopic, then you sort of like a bit of extra to compensate. It's really more of a too-cool-for-school coffee shop with some dorm rooms attached. And what's amazing is that it's always fully booked! Guess they should start paying some royalties to NYC for their use of the "High Line" trademark!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael C

Dear Michael C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I want to apologize that the room category you booked did not provide you with a comfortable stay prior to your move to Hong Kong. We do have several other room categories that do offer more room. I hope that your move was a success and encourage you to give us another shot next time you find yourself in NYC. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at the hotel, and I hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We have stayed at the High Line twice in the past three months and both times our visits have been extraordinary. The King suite was wonderful, the staff were sweet and very helpful and the atmosphere has been classy without being pretentious. In the mornings we worked and enjoyed our cappuccinos from the lobby. We also used the bicycles to ride for hours on our Saturday.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Jerome C, Director of Front Office at The High Line Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear cablackwood,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent experience at The High Line Hotel. I am thrilled that you have become a fan of us and very delighted that our spacious guest accommodations exceeded your expectations . I will share your review with the team. Thanks again and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This isn't a typical hotel. You're choosing to stay in a very old building that used to be dormitories for the surrounding church. The hotel made the decision not to tear this pretty amazing building down (or more likely, I guess, it is protected as a historic building), but that inevitably leaves some oddities. So, while I really enjoyed it, I cannot say this would satisfy everyone. I'm including about everything I can think of to help people make decisions here, but basically if you want brand new, the Standard is just down the street.

First, the heating issue people have mentioned. We visited mid-October. Our room was quite warm when we checked in (74 or so), and the temp decreased slowly and steadily while we were there, to about 68 by night three. Had we wanted to, the large windows in our room opened, so we could have cooled the room that way. But we were comfortable.

So two weird things, neither of which really impacted our stay or would make me not stay there again, I just found them odd. And I know this is a soft opening, but our room didn't have a clock in it. I just thought it was odd to open a hotel with no alarm clocks (I did look at the website and they say docks are "coming soon"). Also, the garbage can in our room was never emptied, not sure why.

We were almost sidewalk level, and had almost no noise, the soundproofing was excellent. No horns, no traffic noise, no talking from pedestrians outside. I heard people in the hallway outside, which is tiled (like a dorm would be!) rather than carpeted, maybe once or twice. But not loud, nothing that would interrupt a stay, and I did see that there was at least one family near our room.

The room was ENORMOUS. And not by NYC standards, by any standards. Linens and towels were super high quality. The Intelligentsia is great, I love having the option of getting really good coffee before heading out for the day. The location is also great, close to trains to midtown and Tribeca, easily walkable to Meatpacking, West Village, Soho, etc, and a block to the High Line. It was a bit chilly to take advantage of the outdoor seating space, but I would definitely come back in warmer weather just for that option. It's really just a very unique experience, and we enjoyed it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank illlap
Jerome C, Director of Front Office at The High Line Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear illlap,

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us recently at The High Line Hotel. Your feedback is important to us just so you know. We are actually preparing for our official grand opening next week as we are making the final touches to our hotel , we hope that you will return to see the changes we have made. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a challenging hotel to rate on a 1-5 scale. There are some elements that hold great potential, and others that seem curious or even odd. We did enjoy our stay, and you have to give them credit for trying something new. Ultimately though, it feels more like a guest-house than a hotel. The services and amenities you might expect at this price point, are notably absent.

Although previous reviews seem to indicate a discounted "soft-opening" back in July and August, there is still on-going work on the front and back courtyards. The whole endeavor still feels like a work-in-progress. Despite that, prices have risen into the same lofty realm as the Standard (a much more polished full-service hotel - also on the High Line).

The best feature is the location – across the street from a High Line entrance. Our suite (#3) was quite large with two closets, a desk and a sitting area. The bed was supremely comfortable and the bathroom was well-appointed. Our room was very quiet due to its view of the lovely, but incomplete, back courtyard.

It's a unique concept, and a unique aesthetic. An 1800s Seminary building has been remodeled to feel like a cross between the prohibition-era vibe you're seeing all-over and someone's 1050s college apartment building. It shows admirable restraint that there aren't faux-vintage filament light bulbs everywhere. The furniture has a quirky mis-matched thrift-store feel to it, but on closer inspection, it's much too pristine to actually be vintage. The black floors, fireplace and grey mouldings are a nice touch, but I assume that our room's Home Depot exposed-bulb ceiling fixtures were just temporary. It truly is a mixed bag.

Would I recommend this property? I guess I'd give it a qualified "not yet"...at least not at this full-fare price. If you can wait until they finish the decor and grounds, this might be a good change of pace.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back of the hotel are very quiet, facing a courtyard. Try to stay on that side to a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David S
Jerome C, Director of Front Office at The High Line Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear David S,

Thank you for providing feedback in regards to your recent stay with us at The High Line Hotel. As you mentioned we are still in our soft opening phase and soon will have our grand opening in a few weeks once most of additional services will be completed by then. As you know that we are a new hotel and still a working progress, and we appreciate your fair observations and feedback and hope that you will return soon .

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed with my girlfriend in September on a trip where I was about to propose. Thanks to the wonderful front desk staff I was able to get a great room and check in a bit early. The hotel still seems to be in the opening stages as they still don't have breakfast, room service or newspapers but the front desk manager (I think his name was Andre) was very helpful. I told him we had just gotten engaged and we wanted breakfast in bed the next morning and we wanted a paper to commemorate the occasion and he took care of it!

When we returned at the end of the day the New York Times was waiting for us in our room and I had an email with a menu for breakfast. He had let the next days manager, Joe, know about our breakfast and he was at our door right on time. It was perfect! Everyone was so nice, from the housekeepers to the bellman. My girlfriend and I had an amazing stay and would love to come back on our next visit.

Our room was spacious and the bed was AMAZING. There was a bit of noise from construction across the street but we were always up early to enjoy the day. The neighborhood is convenient and close to many restaurants and art galleries. It

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room facing the garden as it is much quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AgueroCity16
Jerome C, Director of Front Office at The High Line Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear AgueroCity16,

It was our pleasure to assist you! We thank you for choosing The High Line Hotel for your accommodation during this special time for you and your fiance. Our goal is to always go above and beyond for our guest. We really hope that you will return soon to stay with us. Let us know if you need anything in the meantime.