“Great location, some nice amenities, some basics missing”

The High Line Hotel
Ranked #116 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Great location, some nice amenities, some basics missing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed one night. Location is great in hot high line area next to restaurants and across from high line park. 10th avenue is a busy road but my room was on other street so no noise issues but could be on street side. Building is gorgeous, gas lanterns out front, nice courtyard with tables and chairs - it's winter so not being used but I am sure in spring the coffee truck there and courtyard will be a lively spot. The lobby and common areas are nice but here is where the hotel is showing its still a soft open. No bar or restaurant just fancy coffee bar. No comfortable area to sit and lounge - basically lobby is foyer. I didn't wander too much but my sense was all this is to come with construction. Check in was efficient if a bid odd - guy just using a laptop on a table in lobby - again feels like just opened

Room was on top floor. Very spacious for New York, but here there is some stuff missing. Like what? Well how about a closet- no closet, and by the way no chest of drawers either. Furniture is quirky 1920s vintage desks and chairs, I liked it but may not be for everyone. Bathroom is tiny which is typical New York but not typical for hotel of this level is tiny precast tub with shower curtain. Obviously this quirkiness is from having to use the old building and working with what they had - it was fine but if my wife and I were there for a week and had nowhere - literally- to put clothes I wouldn't be happy. There is no restaurant, at least yet, so no room service. There is minibar that is shockingly underpriced -- candy for 2 dollars, beer for 5 or 6 dollars. By NYC standards that's cheap - nice selection to, craft beer, nice snacks, small batch bourbon - maybe trying to make up for lack of restaurant

I booked through jetsetter and paid 200 or so - compared to others in NYC that's fair price. When completed the place can command more. Overall very cool place if you don't mind the quirks and realize its not completed yet. Would definintely stay again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kawargo111
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear kawargo111,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us about your recent stay. Your comments will definitely be used to help us better make our guests feel like The High Line Hotel is their second home. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back again in the near future!

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed here for a weekend with a friend and felt like I was in Europe except the room was huge!
Very hip place with bicycle rental, great coffee shop with yummy pastries, and beautiful architecture. Rooms have a comfy bed with great linens, quirky furniture, and the best part was the big windows that actually opened to the outside. The Highline is nearby for an evening stroll.
Lots of shopping and great restaurants in the neighborhood. Not too expensive either.
I travel to NYC a couple of times a year and this will now be my go to hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank susan t
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear susan t,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us here at The High Line Hotel! This property truly makes you feel like you’re not in NYC anymore. I’m ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed our various amenities, as well as our uniquely decorated guest rooms! Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can be of any future assistance. We’re looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We needed to make a quick trip to NYC for a birthday party for a friend who lives in Chelsea. I am a former student at the seminary and my husband as always wanted to live on the Close. The High Line Hotel was the perfect choice. We were delighted from moment one with the service of the staff, the beautiful room and the feeling of serenity that enveloped us. We have booked for a week in late April when we return to celebrate our wedding anniversary. congratulations from two very very fussy former New Yorkers. See you in Aoril

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Luvrat
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Luvrat,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay! We truly strive to ensure that each guest has an amazingly comfortable stay, and I'm happy you and your husband enjoyed your time with us. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can be of any assistance to you. Looking forward to welcoming you back in April!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Our stay at the High Line Hotel was neither business nor pleasure. My girlfriend and I had to evacuate our apartment due to mold! You can image how frustrated we were, but when we arrived at the hotel Joe at the front desk sympathized with our situation and went the extra mile to make us feel right at home. Joe and the rest of his staff were very friendly and accommodating to all of our needs, including laundry and meals. The staff always had great recommendations on where to eat and were happy to get on the phone and call a wash and fold place to pick up our laundry. The hotel itself is beautiful, lots of character and ambiance! You feel like your not really in Manhattan but somewhere in Europe. The location is perfect, right next to High Line Park and Chelsea Market and steps away from posh nightlife spots.. A hidden gem in the hotel is the coffee shop. Be sure to stop and get a mocha latte! I cant thank Joe and his staff enough for making a terrible situation so much better.

Room Tip: I'm pretty sure all the beds come with a feather top on the mattress. If you didn't get one...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike Z
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Mike Z,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We truly strive to make every guest feel right at home here at The High Line Hotel. I'm glad that the staff was so accommodating. I hope that everything has been resolved with the mold incident. Next time you're in the area, please stop in and have a coffee on us!

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

This is the type of hotel that you miss. It has the charm of an old building, the interiors feel welcoming and it's lobby, without a front desk is instead a haven for premium coffee junkies.
The rooms are converted from the days when this was a theological seminary, but ever so slightly. Dark woods, fireplaces and black and white tiled bathrooms. Lots of ambience!
Really good beds and quite, this was a good sleep.
The location, a couple of blocks north of Chelsea Market, right in the midst of galleries and any number of good restaurants, was perfect in many ways. And of course, High Line Park is just across the street.
The lobby doubles as a coffee bar and offers really good coffees too. And a bagel.
But I would have liked a small bar too. Just to hang out.
It's possible they offer something outside when the weather is slightly warmer. I thought I saw something out front, but at near freezing temperatures outside, there was no option available within the building.
Still, a great hotel experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Tord E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I’m happy to hear you had such an enjoyable experience. Besides offering an astounding array of coffees, teas, and pastries, Intelligentsia also doubles as a lobby bar every evening! I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to The High Line Hotel next time you find yourself in New York City!

New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

My colleague booked our rooms, so I'm sorry I cannot comment on price or value. But otherwise, this place is a hidden gem (for now) in a relatively quiet area of NYC. Charming and unique-there is no front desk and the staff is casually dressed, actually making it hard to figure out who worked there versus who was a guest-the decor is really wonderful, from the exposed steel beams in the lobby to the old-timey phone and desk in my room. Plushy bathrobes and slippers provided, making this feel more like a European hotel than a US one. Room was huge, bathroom a little tight but manageable and terrific CO Bigelow toiletries. Towels huge and fluffy, and staff was friendly and accommodating from check in to hailing us a cab for the airport upon checkout, taking our bags and into the cab before we knew it. If location is an issue, midtown might be better, but since our business was in the area, it was perfect. Would certainly return.

Room Tip: My colleague mentioned that her 5th floor room was attic style and missing a closet or any place to...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear NYerJo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our in room amenities, as well as our Americana vintage eclectic décor. Our team truly strives for exceptional customer service, and we’re glad that the staff was both welcoming and attentive. We hope to welcome you back to The High Line Hotel the next time you’re in NYC!

east coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

The High Line Hotel is a delight if you love old buildings, which I do. And so do those who refurbished this space from a dormitory for the Episcopal Seminary to a relaxed hotel in Chelsea. The room was furnished with, among other things, somewhat worn oriental rugs, an old fashioned school desk (of a prior seminarian, one presumes), a cast-metal rotary telephone, and a large container of newly sharpened pencils on the desk. The bed was deliciously modern and comfy, the bathroom fully equipped, and the flat-screen TV just fine.

The service was informal in manner but excellent in delivery, between help with bags, a recommendation for parking, directions locally.

The "extra mile" came the following morning, when my elderly husband began feeling weak and dizzy. Though we had checked out and gone to a local restaurant for breakfast, they let us back into our room (now made up by housekeeping) for him to lay down. An hour later, when I had retrieved the car, they stood watch at the car to fend off ticketing, loaded the bags, and saw us on our way. Thank you, caring staff!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear fuzzynavel016,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. I’m happy to hear that you truly appreciated the vintage décor in your room! Our guests always are our first priority at The High Line Hotel, and we strive to ensure a truly comfortable stay for everyone. I’m glad your husband had the opportunity to rest before you traveled. I hope you both are well and hope to have you return to The High Line Hotel next time you’re in New York City!