“Great staff, some glitches, neat location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The High Line Hotel

The High Line Hotel
Ranked #110 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Mahwah, New Jersey
“Great staff, some glitches, neat location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We had a very late night arrival for a one night's stay (booked on Hotel Tonight). We chose this place particularly for its location near the High Line. Another charm of this hotel is that it occupies part of the General Theological Seminary (built in the 1820's) and is a Federal Historic Landmark. As a point of trivia, Clement Clark Moore wrote "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" here in his 17th century apple orchard!

Every single staff member was super helpful and seemed happy to be doing their job. At check-in, we even got a great recommendation of where to get a bite to eat at midnight. As you would expect for a property with this history, our room was reached by walking up a few steps into a tiny hallway to reach one of those old elevators where you open a hinged door to access the elevator once it slides open.

Our room (facing the courtyard) was large for a NYC hotel, with a high pillow-top king bed and windows tucked into thick, almost 200 year old walls. The bed was fairly comfortable - it had one of those big feather duvets on it as so many hotels now like to do. I find that sleeping with the duvet on is too warm and without it is too cold. The room was very clean, with the exception of a dirty smudge on one of the curtains, right where one would grab them to pull them back. The window a/c did a decent job.

The bathroom was also large and nicely appointed (other reviewers were right about the shower water getting really hot really fast, btw). The towels were particularly thick and fluffy, but we had no wash cloths. Our chief complaint was that the lighting in the bathroom was EXTREMELY dim - we looked around for a dimmer switch but only found a basic on/off switch. Really, you could barely see in there - it was as if there was only a night light on, which made it very difficult to deal with contact lenses, for example. I don't know if this is the usual lighting or if both bulbs were on their way out, but it should be addressed. We arrived so late and by the time we got some midnight dinner and returned, we just didn't have the energy to pursue a lighting remedy with the staff.

One of the great features of this hotel is that they have a little coffee bar in the lobby featuring Intelligensia Coffee and baked goods from a variety of highly regarded NYC bakeries. (There is also an Intelligensia truck in the front courtyard area.). So we got to sit in the little side courtyard with our dried cherry scones and beverages before launching on our day, which was a lovely moment.

Room Tip: Note that you may have to use some stairs unless there is a first floor room available.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Anne C,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that our team was able to assist you with your requests. I hope to welcome you back soon so you may enjoy more of what our hotel has to offer.

Pablo Migoya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I have never written a Trip Advisor review before but I am so angry as I sit in my hotel room that I feel compelled. Today is my birthday and my husband and I were able to leave the kids for one night and one night only to enjoy some peace and quiet. We arrived at the Highline Hotel at 3:00 PM and were told that our room was not ready. After grabbing a coffee and going for an hour stroll we returned and were told that our room was still not ready. By 5:00 PM I began to get annoyed and asked for any room. At this point the woman at the front desk offered to upgrade us to a suite. Happily, my husband and I followed her. She opened the door to find the room already occupied and some pretty shocked guests on the other side. We were then brought back to the lobby where we waited another hour for our "deluxe king" room to be ready.

At 6:00 we were told that the manager had not communicated that our room (the one we waited for for 3 hours) was previously put on hold for a different guest yet to arrive. When we asked to speak to "said manager" we were told he was "on break". So, now we are in a "superior king" which is a down grade. Happy birthday to me!

On a positive - the hotel is adorable but I'm still miffed !

Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Jill A
Dear Jill A,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced upon your arrival. I would like to speak with you to further discuss your experience. Please contact me directly via email at GM@thehighlinehotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you and once again my sincerest apologies.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Hospitality is the act of the recklessly generous heart. ... paying full attention and focus to what you want or need and the High Line hotel will flourish you during your stay. Of course, the quality of service is not guaranteed at top level. It may exceed or fall your expectations. But you could get a full attention from the High Line hotel's hospitality team if you would like. You will not get any full attention at average or standard hotel. The hotel has only 60 rooms! Our arrival experience was unique! The High Line hotel is extraordinary because we felt valued and worthy. They host daily wine reception after 5pm. It was impeccable and relaxing. The wine reception gave us a little break to unwind and sing songs like a hidden retreat from hectic rushiest new york city's life. We loved the guest room and lobby's interior because their seminary's historic interior /style mentioned us about the eighteenth century and we flocked back into old centuries world. Do not forget to try their breakfast and specialty coffee drinks. The hotel location is perfect if you are an art and food gourmet lover.

Room Tip: Ask hospitality team for their tips. Avoid guest rooms on a first floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank BizVisitor
Dear BizVisitor,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our team was very helpful to you during your time at our little gem in the big city. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Trenton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I was here for the Cherry Bombe Jubliee in the end of March. It was a perfect location for the convention and I loved the fact that it was originally a monastery . The staff was helpful and polite as we navigated the grounds. The main hall was beautiful with its high ceilings and stain glass windows. Though I didn't stay in one of the rooms, they did look very nice from the website.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Katie M,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us at our meetings & events center. I am pleased you enjoyed your conference, and I hope we can welcome you to our hotel in the near future.

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Really enjoyed this hotel, it's quite quirky and I think feels more like a high end guest house.

It was at full occupancy when I stayed but yet was really peaceful and quiet with a lovely air of calm.

There’s no reception desk as such, staff meet you with an iPad to check you in. When I was there at Easter, there was no restaurant but I believe they have since opened one. There’s a coffee shop on the ground floor with very elaborate coffee and tea making techniques and the most amazing hot chocolate!

Stayed in a suite and the bed was possibly one of the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in. The bathroom was huge (by NY standards), deep bath with overhead shower, lovely toiletries. I really loved the fact that I could open the sash windows.

I wasn’t crazy about the seats in the seating area of the room – quirky, but not very comfortable!

I found the staff really helpful and friendly and the location was great.

I note some reviews here about the noise from 10th Avenue. I faced the back of the hotel, overlooking a playground so it was really quiet.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: My suite faced the back, a children's playground, and was really quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear GranardDublin,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your courtyard-facing room and took full advantage of our in-room amenities. I hope to welcome you back soon so you may enjoy our new seasonal outdoor restaurant, Champagne Charlie's.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I travel to New York quite frequently, but usually stay in Times Square. I generally don’t write a review for my stays in Manhattan, since I usually stay at a Hilton property and reviewed them in the past. I wanted to share my experience at the High Line Hotel because it was someplace new, I had not stayed before. My company contacted me for an unexpected trip to the Chelsea area. The High Line Hotel was available so I booked a two night stay. I have never been to the Chelsea area so I didn't know what to expect. From the moment I arrived to the time (unfortunately) had departed I felt as if I was at home. The hotel was AMAZING, the Hotel Associates, friendly and went out of their way to assist. I arrived early on a Wednesday and they graciously held my luggage until I returned late in the day. Upon returning I enjoyed an evening cocktail at their champagne bar, I think it was called Champagne Charlie’s. They had a nice menu, but I did not have anything to eat, although I overheard several people complimenting the server on how good their meal was. While checking in the General Manager, Pablo greeted me with a welcoming smile which added to the overall experience. (You could tell he genuinely and enthusiastically wanted to make my experience a pleasant one) The room was more than I expected for a boutique hotel. Rooms were very clean and appointed nicely. The only problem I experienced with the room is that my company had to check in on me the next morning, the beds were so, so comfortable that I didn’t want to get out of it. The next two days were all work so I didn’t really get to experience much more of the hotel or the surrounding area, but next time I go to NY I will be going with my wife and friends, making sure we stay at the High Line Hotel. The High Line is located across the street from the “High Line” from what I understand it is a walking path that sits about 4 or so stories above the street and runs for about a mile or so? Also, parking is right across the street and the hotel is very convenient to many great restaurants.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Location
2 Thank Jonsales
Dear Jonsales,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed every aspect of your experience here in our little gem in the big city. I hope to welcome you back soon so you may experience more of what The High Line Hotel has to offer.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is a perfect blend of beautifully design (may not fit everyone's taste), great hospitality and comfort. The hotel is small in term of number of rooms which makes it a very unique experience and personable. The hotel was converted from the seminary dormitories. It has an old world charms with modern touches- amazing coffee bar at the lobby! It's a block away from the High Line and in Chelsea and not far from Meat Packing District. The location is perfect. However, the10th Ave is quite busy. The check is is fairly straight forward. The check in staff made an offer for larger room if we wait which was a great suggestion. The room 57 is quite large (comparing to other NYC hotels), the bed was very comfortable and it's on the back of the building so we didn't hear any traffic noise from the 10th Ave. (thank you to the staff for making this offering!) Though, there was no "closet" we were provided with open rack for our clothes and trunk by the bed. The bathroom is quite nice. The waster pressure and the toiletries quality were quite good. We had a wonderful time staying there and it's a perfect place to come back each night after a day excursion in the city.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
2 Thank CaneIntp
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear CaneIntp,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us. I am very pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us at The High Line Hotel. I hope to welcome you back to our little gem in the big city soon!