“Great Surprise”
Review of Distilled

Distilled
Reserve with OpenTable
Distilled is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,577 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$21 - US$89
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: TriBeCa
Cross street: Franklin Street
Transit: We are located close to the 1 train at Franklin street, the A, C, E, N, Q, 6 and J trains at Canal Street.
Description: Located in the heart of Tribeca, Distilled is inspired by historic American public houses that served as social anchors of towns and neighborhoods for centuries. Distilled is located in a landmarked space on West Broadway designed to create a welcoming and communal atmosphere. The menu offers a wide variety of regional American dishes as well as a beverage program that includes specialty cocktails, wine, craft beer and a selection of meads. Come try out our brunch menu that includes staples such as Country Fried Duck and Waffles, as well as biscuits and gravy. Our dinner menu includes elegant favorites like the Bo Bo Chicken and St. Louis Ribs. Be sure to ask about our catering service as well! Distilled is the perfect spot for any occasion with friends, family and colleagues. Stop over for a layered experience that can change throughout the week. Have brunch outside, take a date to Chef's Counter, grab a few cocktails at the bar, and dine with friends. Visit our website for an easy way to make reservations, or call any time. At Distilled, we're excited to having you join us as both friends and guests.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Surprise”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Went in looking forward to some good wings… and left thinking, wow, that was a superb meal! The wings were excellent as expected - expertly prepared, so crunchy and deeply flavored, just wish there was more tanginess to them - but the sides and salads were truly outstanding. How good could a kale, carrot and raisin salad be? Transcendent, no really, we were elbowing each other over the remaining few refreshing bites. Order 2. Cauliflower and snap peas roasted in a miso sauce… luxurious. Crispy brussels sprouts with crispy duck bacon, peanuts, and pickled cranberries… so many places do dishes similar to this, but this one makes you want to hum like a kid while you eat it.

Inspired drinks and very non-NY prices.

This restaurant is one of the warmest and friendliest places I've encountered, not just in NY, but anywhere. Jenna, our server, was delightful and Steve, the manager, took care to check in with everyone.

Such care went into every detail. I look forward to going back.

Boston
“Great American Gastro Pub”
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Just had an amazing dinner. The wings are very good but the veggies were the real surprise. The Brussel sprouts and cauliflower need to be tried. Complimentary popcorn is even better than people say.

Service is friendly and attentive including manager Steve.

Lots of good cocktails but I would recommend a few more draft choices.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Unpretentious and great cocktails”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stopped in at Distilled for a drink on a Thursday after work. It's a great spot for a number of reasons: it's unpretentious; bartenders are friendly and knowledgable, especially Benjaim who gave us a quick master class in mezcal. It's a big, open space, so you're not shoulder to shoulder at the bar. They have a few great Ommegangs on draft, and they make a great cocktail. I would return.

1 Thank WilliamSNichols
Skillman, New Jersey, United States
“good neighborhood restaurant + fabulous staff = happy dining experience”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Ate here this week by happenstance – we had reservations elsewhere, but the original restaurant lost their running water, so we left. As we wandered back toward the subway, my husband found Distilled and before we had a chance to study their menu, the sweet young manager urged us to come in – the food, he said, was really good. Based on his smile and the pleasant decor, we decided to give the place a try. Glad we did. The restaurant was a bit noisy – it had a very active bar on one side and the music seemed to be trying to compete with the noise level of the clientele. But we are a bit older than most of the crowd here and younger patrons seem to enjoy the sound and fury much more than I.

We started off with cocktails – there were special hot mead drinks and, being a bit adventurous, we tried two varieties of those. My husband’s was spicy and we both liked that, but mine was a bit too sweet. No problem, it was quickly replaced with Distilled’s version of a Manhattan which was excellent.

The menu was quite interesting. While we decided on the main course, they served their special popcorn concoction – mixed with garlic, cumin and various other seasonings. It was quite addictive. The main courses ranged from mussels, salmon and hamburger to country fried duck & waffles – the last was my husband’s choice, very, very good. I chose glazed ribs with apples and onions – not such a good choice. They turned out to be flavorful, but much too fatty; the chef agreed and refunded the money for my entrée. Desserts were excellent – we were served cheesecake which was a cross between a cake and a pudding, very rich and creamy and utterly wonderful; and “chocolate puddin” – which was chocolate pudding with crumbled peanut butter cookie – also excellent.

Most important of all – the restaurant staff kept coming over to inquire how we were enjoying everything… and what is more, they really listened and cared what we thought! Everyone from our waitress to the chef to the manager stopped by. Real customer service - what a novelty these days.

Distilled is a very good neighborhood restaurant with a creative chef and highly attentive and caring staff. I wish it a long and successful life!

Wayne, New Jersey
“Distilled Takes American Comfort Food To A Higher Level”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I made a reservation at Distilled this past Saturday as I was looking for a place that not only served great food but also featured items that my sons, ages 11 and 14, would eat. (Our sitter bailed on us.) I figured that you can't go wrong with comfort food. And I was right.

Our experience at Distilled was very pleasant. Our servers were extremely helpful, down to earth, and friendly. They were very accommodating as far as my son's tree nut allergies were concerned. They also did a nice job explaining what was on the menu and making recommendations.

We were given the complimentary popcorn which was season with garlic, cumin and brewer's yeast. It was very tasty and I could have mindlessly munched my way through a few bowls if I wasn't careful. The wine, beer and cocktail menu had great selections. I ordered the "Sparkle & Shine" which featured Cherry Moonshine, Vanilla Bean and Champagne. It was fresh and flavorful with a slightly bitter note to it - - very good but the $14 price was a bit steep. The boys ordered lemonade which tasted very light and fresh - I wouldn't have been surprised if it was made from scratch.

We decided to split the Country Fried Duck & Waffles, The Wings, Glazed Pork Ribs and the Broccoli:

Country Fried Duck & Waffles: I had heard of but never ate Chicken & Waffles. I just didn't get the concept - seemed so mismatched and unhealthy. I've changed my mind. The duck had a super crispy coating and the meat was tender and succulent. It sat on a french toast style waffle and came with smoked chili maple syrup and honey butter. The overall flavor/texture sensation was highly indulgent. Delectably naughty. I would definitely share this entree as it is way too rich too eat on your own.

Distilled Wings: These are wings on steroids - twice fried, ultra crunchy and lacquered with a sweet, sticky sauce. Fortunately, we were provided wet naps - one of my sons had sauce all over his face.

Glazed Pork Ribs: Very tender and delicious with a jalapeno kick.

Chilled Charred Broccoli: Just when you start to feel good about ordering the broccoli here , you realize that the only reason you're enjoying it is because it's flavored with peanuts and duck bacon! You do manage to get past the guilt though because it is so flavorful. This dish came chilled but I think I would have preferred it at room temperature or slightly warm.

Dessert: We ordered the Apple Crisp and the Chocolate Peanut Butter Puddin'. Both were very good but the chocolate pudding really stood out here. It was rich and creamy with chunks of peanut butter (a la Reese's Peanut Butter Cup filling) and pieces of peanut butter cookies. We were scraping the bowl.

If you're in Tribeca, looking for a place with a fun, comfortable atmosphere and really great food, Distilled is not to be missed.

• Visited October 2013