“Great value”

Ranked #128 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

When we visit NYC, we looking for a clean, safe place to stay at a reasonable price. We got all that we were looking for here. Booked the room through Priceline and got great rate. The main entrance to the hotel is on 45th street, the southeast corner off of Lexington. My GPS had me making a right off of Lexington and after several trips around the block without success,parked the car and walked. Sign on hotel in Jan,2014 still had "Club Quarters" . The room was very comfortable,clean and had free wifi! We stayed MLK weekend and learned thAt the company that the hotel uses for their breakfast does not deliver on week ends or holidays. The guest lounge on the 27th floor was comfortable though, with newspapers and computers available for guests. Times Square is a brisk 15 minute walk. The subway stop at grand central, just across Lexington, with many lines available, made it very easy for us to get around the city.because the hotel parking does not offer in/ out privileges,we parked our car at a friends apt in Brooklyn for the five days we stayed here. Will definitely use the property again when visiting the city.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Great central location. New and clean. Parking close to hotel with reduced fees. Amazing views from the lounge on the 27th floor, but not so much from our room. Free breakfast. Complete gym. Not much staff and not really any formal lobby. There is only a little desk at the entrance, but it suits it's purpase fine.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Pluses:
New hotel, quiet, room clean and well presented, good location, free WIFI (paid $25 per day in previous hotel), free unlimited filtered water, you must check out 27th Floor once you arrive, free tea, coffee, hot choc, coke, sprite, nibbles and fruit, every Sat free breakfast here also. Large lounge area here too.
Minuses:
Initially hard to find not signposted well esp at night, reception always seemed chaotic, nice staff but lousy service, all complaints were met with a shrug and an apologetic smile but nothing much done about them, room small but compact and liveable, we ended up in single beds as no queens available, room wasn't serviced on one occasion.
Overall:
Nice, clean hotel with lousy service. Its' new, so it hasn't had the chance to get that "tired" or "used" look. Don't expect any VIP treatment here, none of the staff will go out of their way to ensure you are well looked after, but its reasonably good value for money for NY. It's compact, but everything is there, and the free WIFI, water and good location make for serious consideration. Would I stay here again? Yeah, probably.

Room Tip: Our corner room was quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank YOLO-007
D.C.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed in early Novermber 2013. The property had just opened. I arrived at around 1:30 for check-in, with the lobby in chaos. Other guests in line were greated ahead of me, and when I finally caught the attention of the check-in receptionist, I was told to come back later, as no rooms were available, which was fine. I did ask to confirm that I receive a room that would accomodate two adults, and that I would receieve a free upgrade if available, as had been confirmed via email and fax the week before. I was told that an upgrade would be over $200 and that no fax had been received. I then showed the check-in clerk the email confirming that the upgrade would be free, and she then replied that no upgrades were available anyway, and there was no note on the account.

I was told I could check my bags, but actually had to tag my own bags, and was provided no assistance checking them in, having to get the attention of the check-in person again.

I returned at 9:30 pm to check-in and was told no rooms were available, as they had "heater problems" and had a shortage of rooms. I was told one last room was available, but they would need 20 minutes to clean the room, and that I could come back if I didn't want to wait (as there is no seating in the lobby). After 20 minutes outside, I came back in and the room was still not ready. I waited another ten minutes in the lobby, and while waiting, an airline crew came in to check into the Club Quartes which is attached. They were immediately processed, and sent to their room, however, upon getting into the elevator, the two front desk attendants began to gossip about the airline crew in front of myself and another guest.

Due to the late check-in, I was given a $25 visa gift card (Which costs $4 to activate) and a pre-printed letter of apoligy from the manager. I was also given a "free upgrade" to the next room level, which I was earlier told was not available- this also happened to be the last room in the property. After a half hour, I was given the kets to the room, and assured my luggage was already in the room. Upon arrival to the room- no luggage, and I had to call to have it sent up.

The next morning I called to ask for a late check-out (around 2) due to the run-around on check-in, which pushed all my evening plans back. I was told there would be a charge for late check-out, and I protested, explaining for a second time the screw-up on check-in. The person then stated, "well as a one-time courtesy, I can offer you a free late check out."

At check-out I printed a copy of my receipt with a $0 balance, and was asked by the on-duty manager about my experience. I shared a few thoughts, and she apologized, wished me a nice day. After recently checking my credit card statement, I saw that I was charged $47.10 for my "free" late check out. After calling the hotel, I was asked who I spoke to that told me I could have the free late check out- I have no idea her name, and given the checkin fiasco, I shouldn't have to have written it down. I left my number and asked for a call back from the General Manager and have yet to hear back.

Room Tip: Get any room types requested confirmed in writing.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank GalleryMedia
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed in Hotel Boutique early November 2013 for girls weekend. It is new and very clean!! All staff were very friendly. They gave us free breakfast. There is free bottle water with filtered water to refill the bottle. On the 27 floor there is a great balcony. Less than a mile to walk to Times Square. Great location for us since we saw a couple of Broadway shows.

One negative comment about the hotel - the staff was not too familiar with NYC. We used our phone - google maps to get to where we wanted to go and googled our questions. Not a big deal though.

Room Tip: The less expensive rooms are small.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LisaLisa_Atlanta2013
Arlington, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I recently booked a hotel for my boss last week. Used to staying in King sized beds, I double checked to make sure a Queen was OK. Come to find out today, after paying for a Queen, she was put in a room with 2 twin beds. I am calling the hotel and asking for a refund of some sort. What a joke.

Other than this, she said the hotel was fine - very small, and still undergoing construction.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you paid for.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Alex S
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Boutique Hotel at Grand Central on 11/2-3/13 with my two girlfriends while we were in the city for a concert. We were very excited to be staying in a hotel less than two months old. Coming from Rockland County we took the train in and walked right over to the hotel from Grand Central. At first we found the front entrance which was under construction but then had a little trouble finding the temporary lobby around the corner. Our check in and out was smooth and painless. The hotel is so fresh, so clean and so new! The room (508) had a kitchenette with a pull out sleeper a fabulous bathroom and beautiful bedroom. The celling to floor windows help the room to appear larger and the use of pocket doors makes the most of the available space. For three women in a NY city hotel room we found it to be very spacious. We had a lovely view of the avenue and Rickshaw Dumplings and had a great time people watching. I happened to sleep on the pull out couch bed and was pleasantly surprised by the level of comfort and support the mattress provided. The best part of sleeping on the sofa bed was the brand new ultra soft and incredible Birkshire blanket!

On the 27th floor is the business area and lounge. It is a wonderfully comfortable area. It has an espresso machine, candy bar, TV to watch the latest programs, computers, printers, a conference table and most importantly a beautiful balcony. I would recommend staying or even just booking a room in this hotel just for the view of the Chrysler Building from the 27th floor balcony. I have walked past and seen the Chrysler building many times before during my visits to the city but I have never seen it look as beautiful in my life! It was such an incredible sight. We were very pleased with our stay. We would recommend this hotel to our family and friends. We found our room to be priced reasonably and we were happy with the kind helpful hotel staff. One of the things we really enjoyed was the fresh spring water machines on every floor. They provide new plastic water bottles or you can fill your own reusable ones with fresh chilled drinking water.

One thing that we were slightly dis pleased with was the timing of the elevators. There are three elevators and only two were properly functioning. The two working were taking a long time to go floor to floor. A few times when it finally arrived to our floor it was so full with people that we had to wait for the next available one. I am sure once the third is fixed then there will be less people waiting and faster service. I would recommend staying in this hotel just for the view of the Chrysler Building from the 27th floor balcony. I would love to stay here again and will keep this one in mind for my next visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends