“Central...in fact Grand Central”

Hotel Boutique At Grand Central
Ranked #136 of 468 Hotels in New York City
London
“Central...in fact Grand Central”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I think the best thing about this hotel is the location, right next to Grand Central Station. You can get to almost all places of interest from there. The hotel is only 2 minutes walk if that.

We stayed there for 7 nights in a 4th floor room and everything was fine. The room is spacious enough. It had a mini fridge, coffee making machine (you may have to tip the cleaner each day if you want to get more than one decaf and one normal coffee capsule for the machine), a decent TV and an ipod docking station.

The wifi in the room is excellent. The aircon unit is loud on the hi setting, but bearable on the low setting. If you don't like street noise then it may be too noisy on the 4th floor, but it was fine for us. There was no mini safe in the room which was a problem for 'er indoors.

Bathroom was clean and everything worked, and the shower was hot when you wanted it to be hot.

There is a nice 'executive room' on the 27th floor, with free coffee and internet-machines. And there is a decent balcony where you can take in the buzz of the city and gaze at the office workers opposite.

There is free filter water and bottles in the corridors on every floor.

The hotel itself is a bit soulless, it seems to be more of a business hotel than a holiday hotel. It depends what you want from it, but we thought it was fine. The hotel also has a free printing service for printing your boarding pass for the way home.

Good value for central Manhattan.

Room Tip: I suppose the higher you are, the less noise you hear from the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lemkinn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Belfast, Maine
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel was perfect for a couple. The room is small but very well laid out with everything you would need. The free bottled water was a nice plus too. Very clean and conveniently located. Staff was very pleasant

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kathleen C
Reviewed 23 May 2014

If you are looking for a excellent hotel near of Grand Central Station, I highly recommend this one. Rooms are clean and modern and room service is very fast. If you need any help, ask for Alberto, he helped us a lot.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Isadora G
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was the cheapest hotel I could find in Manhattan last week (first week of May), and I booked it as a (blind) Express Deal on Priceline, so I didn't know what I was going to get until I paid. Boy was I pleasantly surprised! It's small, but the staff were professional and helpful, and the property is modern and well-maintained. I arrived 3hrs early and was allowed to check-in immediately. I asked if a free upgrade might be considered (they have 3 types of rooms and I wanted one with a kitchenette). This request was graciously considered and granted. My room was on the 6th floor, right across from the elevators. The noise level (both from within and without) was relatively low for my 2-night stay, a Wed & Thurs. My first impressions upon entering the room were: modern feel, well laid out, well-appointed, clean, small but not cramped. (Of note, I was traveling solo with one medium suitcase, but I think it would have remained comfortable for 2.) The bathroom was spacious, considering the overall square footage, with nice quality toiletries (loved the pocket door). I immediately called Guest Services upon entering because I had some trouble turning the lights on (I know, sounds stupid, but the switches weren't working with a simple flick.) A maintenance man showed up within 2mins and was very pleasant and helpful. Standing back, the things that delighted included: Wifi was included in my room rate (altho it doesn't offer an excellent speed), a purified water station is located on each floor of the hotel (you can fill as many bottles as you like), the room had a gadget that allowed you to stream content to the TV (cool), the bed was VERY comfortable, and a mini Keurig was included with the mini frig and microwave. Re: location, I was in town for a meeting at the UN, so the hotel's address was perfect for me. Surrounding area isn't beautiful but is safe, and Grand Central is right around the corner, so guests have quick access to the metro. When it was time to check out, the hotel was happy to hold my bag for a few hours. All in all, did I get my money's worth? I think the property was over-priced, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it compared to the other (stupidly expensive) properties on the market. Great visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face Lexington Avenue (busy, noisy street). And the higher up, the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Happy_Nomad_2013
Paris, France
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived early the room was ready however the receptionist asked us for an early check inn fee . Customer service was poor as some of the receptionist would not say hi which i believe is the least you can do for a 280usd room . Altough the room was small , it was clean and provided good amenities such as usb plug. Hotel is well located

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank DIDIER819
Moscow
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel is almost ideal! Very modern, convenient, the room was cozy and silent. Cleaning of number was simply fantastic. As well as in the sekh hotels of this network in a corridor there are free small bottles with water and a laundry. There is a verandah on the 28th floor with free snacks and coffee.
If workers a reception are more hospitable to lodgers and attentive (about a verandah on a roof nobody told, found) that the hotel will be simply ideal.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My 6 year old son and I went to NYC to see his first Bway show. We stayed here because of the cost and location. I was thrilled with the experience. If you like to be pampered and doted on, this is not your hotel. If you are an independent traveler who likes to come back to a functional, comfortable room, this is your place. Yes, the rooms are small but they were very clean and quiet. I would say it's a bit like what you might expect if airplanes suddenly had sleeping cars - no wasted space yet everything you need is right there. We walked from Penn Station (far, but doable) and then took the subway everywhere else. The Grand Central terminal market is right across the street for things to pick up and bring in. My son wasn't feeling well so we ordered in Indian from Darbar for dinner (delicious) and it was charged right to the room. We also ordered in breakfast from the deli the next morning. I usually like to go out and experience of eating in NY, but we ate in the top floor lounge and enjoyed the city sights from far above.
I'll be back.