“Efficient, Good Extras & Well Appointed”

Club Quarters Hotel, Grand Central
Ranked #121 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Davidson, North Carolina
“Efficient, Good Extras & Well Appointed”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Their Grand Central site is fairly new, and the rooms show this - modern but functional, very clean, large enough for business travel or couples (if you're used to European sizing). Great restaurant in "basement", OK gym area, nice lounge space.

I like the shower, larger than typical stall, nice bright lighting, not much closet space and lacking much of a desk for work - the movable work-surface thingy has more style than substance other than support for a laptop.

Had a Corporate rate just over $200 so great value to be had in Midtown, and self checkout is always appreciated. Since this is Midtown get a higher room if you want a quieter night sleep, even with the nice (softer) beds other reviewers mentioned.

Room Tip: Since this is Midtown get a higher room if you want a quieter night sleep, even with the nice (softe...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ontario
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Good location, friendly staff. They definitely cater to business travelers as lounge area had snacks, pop, water etc during the week but only coffee on the weekend. They have Three elevators but one was in service most of the time therefore wait for an elevator was quite long. Would recommend.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank cosmogirlOntario
sydney
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Like my title says this hotel is great for sleeping.

The best feature I recall about this hotel was the bed, sheets, blanket. It was amazingly comfortable. I regret not looking for the brand name. This comment is justified by all the Pilots staying there. There are pilots constantly checking in / out.

Besides the above, and for the price paid, everything else was fairly average. I stayed in two different rooms during my stay and each one was tiny. The hotel is not your conventional hotel. In keeping with the pilot theme, the tiny lobby has 3 electronic check in screens. The top floor has a lounge area where there are snacks / coffee with tv screen, but the area is very bland with nobody there. no bar. There is also an outdoor area which has quite a good view of Lexington Avenue

This hotel is well suited to business people who simply need a comfortable bed to sleep in. I would not recommend this place for tourists looking for a bit NYC flair. It lacks vibe and social amenities.
Most of all for the price that I paid, I feel there is better value elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed at Club Quarters on Wall Street and had a fantastic visit, so decided to opt for the grand central one on this occasion. On arrival, there were building works taking place, I explained to the reception that this wasn't mentioned to us when booking and that it wasn't too pleasing to look at or to hear drilling. The staff member on duty remarked that it wasn't pleasing for him either, clearly missing the point that we had paid to be there. I then told him that I thought it was quite rude and he did offer us complimentary breakfast for the three days we were there. They then took a security deposit, however neglected to inform me that it was going to ring fence money and so I had limited funds for my vacation. We checked out on Saturday and as of Tuesday morning, I still haven't received funds. The rooms were quite compact and had little character and not enough storage space for two people. It was comfortable but certainly not worth what we paid. Needless to say we won't be returning any time soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jl7039
Reviewed 22 April 2014

on of my best vacation in nyc was in this hotel ,the personnel was great and professionnel....thank u so very mutchhhh jean claud i had a great time !!!!! and i cant wait to go back to new york ..... i garanty u that i ll recomand this place to all my friends !!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
massachusetts
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I was surprised when I walked into the lobby that so much construction was still going on. With a lot of people and luggage and construction workers all in one tight space, there was a feeling of chaos.

Check-in was quick. The receptionist helped me with the machine and I went right upstairs. However, I felt like I didn't get much of an introduction to the hotel. It's only now that I'm back home that I'm finding out about the 27th floor lounge! I feel kind of mad that I didn't know about it! The scene was so crowded and chaotic that there wasn't much of a "welcome to our hotel and here's what we have to offer" attitude--even though the staff members were nice and polite.

My room was nice, but looked onto the air conditioning units. Fortunately it wasn't noisy, but it was a terrible view. Otherwise the room was well-appointed and comfortable. I loved the little formica table, which I used both as a desk and for eating a late dinner that I brought in.

Two other things that I wasn't so happy about: The elevators were slow, but maybe due to the construction. The other was not having an iron and ironing board in the room. They're down the hall in a closet, a little inconvenient because you have to get dressed to get them.

Convenience is no issue at all for this hotel and that's what I liked about it. I guess I was excited to try the newest member of the Club Quarters New York hotels and came a way a little disappointed. Maybe when the construction is over, things will feel more homey.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Have stayed several times-check in is self service which is a real pain, staff is mostly foreign with accents, not responsive at all-needed a receipt for a cancelled reservation for which I was charged full room-called 4 days in a row including messg's for service mgr and never got call back, nor receipt after leaving my email with two folks who said they would handle it. Rooms are small, hallways tiny and claustrophobic. Tough to locate hotel as it's not well marked on 2nd floor to lobby.