“Decent place, excellent location!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Apple Hostel

Big Apple Hostel
Singapore, Singapore
“Decent place, excellent location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

As my husband and I only needed a place to lay our heads for a night (11pm to 9am) but had to get a place around Times Square area, this was a really good bargain - based on checks, hotels that were just a few blocks from Big Apple Hostel cost on average about US$400 a night. We paid approx US$153 (slightly cheaper if you pay in cash as opposed to credit card) for 1 night in a two-person private bedroom. All rooms share toilets. If you share rooms with a stranger in a two-bedder, the price gets even cheaper!

The room we got was basic, but decent. No view, just a bed and tv. No bedbugs, although the carpet felt a litle dirty. Towels were provided, although toiletries aren't, so bring your own. As you have to walk down the corridor to the toilet, good to bring your bath slippers as well. Each section (which has probably around 5 rooms - didn't really check) could share a toilet (with just a sink and toilet bowl) and a full toilet (with shower) . Since we got in late around 11pm plus and got up early around 8 plus, we didn't really have to rush for the toilet with anyone else :) The rooms aren't really soundproof, but didn't really matter for us since we got in late.

Overall, if location is really important for you, and cost is a huge factor, this hostel is good. Not much ambience, but good for just laying your head down to rest each night.

*It serves free tea/coffee in the morning at the reception area, and there's a Cranberry Cafe located just two shops away which sells good breakfast and sandwiches. It had long queues during the two mornings we were there.

2 Thank firstmay

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

This was my first time staying at a hostel, so I wasn't sure exactly what I would be getting myself into, especially with staying for five nighys. I was extremely impressed by the location (literally just a two minute walk before you are thrusted into the middle of times square's theater district. If you go the other direction you are just a few minutes walk to fifth avenue. There is a Starbucks right across the street and a few restaurants scattered down and up west 45th street collectively.

Unlike other reviewers, I did not have a problem with the staff at all. I thought they were super friendly and extremely understanding and helpful.
This is an excellent way to have a cheap stay in the city and meet new people from all over the world. I had three different roommates during my stay, though only got to meet two ( the last one was a girl my age and we got on great. I showed her a place to get 99 cent pizza the night she came in and on our last night in the city we actually walked times square together and took pictures before hanging around forever 21 for awhile.).

I would have given the hostel four stars, maybe even five if I had known the norm for what a typical hostel is like... but it had two inherent flaws. The first was that the wifi was awful, most of the time I couldn't connect, even in the lobby. I wouldn't have minded because I have a data plan, but I could hardly get enough service to load a Web page in my room on the third floor. And the other flaw is probably the most important one... bed bugs. I only have one bite that I can see (though haven't really checked my back for them or anything), but that still means they are there. They don't change the linens on the bed, just the top sheet so I imagine that the place probably has its fair share of the critters.

Also, as some other reviewers mentioned that they did not receive towels. Both my roommates and I all had been given one upon checking in, though perhaps it is just for the people who stay in the two person rooms?

Overall, if I ever go back to the city for a city stay like the one I was on this week, I might go back if I couldn't find somewhere decently priced to stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kennagolden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

This hostel was just a place to have a small nap during our transfer from Europe to South Carolina. We spent there only one night, but it was a good night. Brilliant location - less than 5 minutes to Times Square. Comfortable, but quite claustrophobic rooms. Horrible water smell in the bathroom, but it's a deep centre of a large city. The fare was like 30-40 dolars per night. The cheapest solution.

Room Tip: cheap solution for couple of friends
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
South Hadley, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I don't know why more people don't avail themselves of hostels when hotel pricing in NYC is an outrageous ludicrousness. When I travel, basically what I need is a safe, clean room with a big bed, a good shower, and a light to read by. Maybe what makes it a 'hostel' is that the bathrooms are not private and there are not amenities such as breakfast, bathroom products, and door service. If you can do without those things you can stay in the heart of the theater district, right next to Times Square, for $150 or less a night. We got a private room (there are several options at this hostel, but I was travelling with my boyfriend and wanted privacy). The staff are responsive, eager, polite, helpful, and the accommodations are clean, safe, friendly, and restful. I will definitely stay here the next time I overnight in New York!

1 Thank bluecowboyyoga
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Excellent location and prices. For the price, I cannot find a single fault about Big Apple Hostel. Yes it's a hostel. Yes it's very basic and the bathroom are shared, but keep in mind that you pay under $50 a night, while hotels around charge +$300.

I can't recommend this hostel enough.

*My trip was in 2009, which was before a 1+ year renovation.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Lapland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

+ Excellent location
+Private room with the toilet was clean.
+New towels ewery day.
+Good price

-No change of bed linen exchange even though we stay 9 nights.
-Hostels own wlan works only in downstairs but we use free wlan at the nearest bub. reseption give as the internet password. and it's works in our room.
-Staff werent so helpful and friendly.
-The room was noisy but thankfully we had ear plugs

I can recomend!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

This was good budget accommodation for new york however I would not consider this place a 'hostel'. We stayed in a 3 bed dorm which was quite spacious, well maintained. The bathroom were all pretty clean and I was impressed by the showers. There is very little atmosphere / communal areas in this hostel however, the only one being down at reception. Please note that the wifi only works in the recption area. The hostel is literally in the middle of time square so if you are in NY for more than a few nights you may want to find somewhere a bit quieter. Overall a good cheap option for staying in NY if you are on a budget.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends