“News 2014”
Review of Big Apple Hostel

Big Apple Hostel
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Big Apple Hostel has closed down on 12 March 2014. You can see their website... It was a beautiful hostel. I tried to book again for October 2014 but they reccommended me by email another hostel...Chelsea international hostel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank mpenelope

Reviewed 7 July 2014

It has been a long time since I stayed at this hostel, but I remember that it was really well located and for an excellent price. Around the corner is Times Square and Broadway and you are close to buses and the subway so a great place to base yourself on a budget in NYC. Travelled her in 1997 so might be a bit different now.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank geokult
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The big Apple hostel was clean, safe and in an awesome location. About 200m from Times Square. It was amazing!
There was however no kitchen, which I had read there was.
We had issues with checking in with our credit card, and the reception lady was not very nice about it. However all other reception people we had over the days were lovely and very helpful.

Our room was a nice size, we stayed in a room with two single bed, shared bathroom (and never saw anyone else, so it was practically private!)
However our heating was WAY too hot and there was no way of adjusting it, we had to keep the windows open to keep it at a normal temperature and it made very loud clunking noises throughout the night which was also annoying.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank denali2014
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed at the Big Apple Hostel 5 or 6 years ago and really enjoyed it. It was renovated recently and in the process, they have lost their kitchen, plus no area for people to really gather except the front lobby area. It has also more than doubled in price per bed. Still a great location, clean, and safe, but I don't think we'll stay there again. In addition, the first night we were there the heat went out entirely and we had one thin blanket and that was all for cover. The heating situation there in the winter really isn't good -- it's either stiflingly hot or freezing.

Room Tip: aim to get a room that is not on street side. There is a lot of street noise, especially if you hav...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank swhchurch
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed here many times, it is a great location and I never had a problem before. This time my friend got bit about 30 times. We were here for 4 nights , room 58 first then room 61. The next person that slept in 58 also got bit (they told us).They are working on it. Also our cable was out for two nights, the safe was not working in room 61 and the air conditioning was not working in room 61 either.

No discount was allowed when asked, but later they offered a free stay if we were in New York again.

When I got their my bill was higher than I expected (20%). They said the site I booked though does not tell people about the 17% tax. It had indicated a final balance (ex tax). They also charge about 3% for paying by card. But don't tell you this till you query the bill. Polite staff I must say, but we did not get what we paid for or expected on this occasion. Again the location is great though.

Room Tip: Avoid room 58!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gerard T
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My stay in November 2013 for more than a week was EXTREMELY pleasant.
I met and befriended many matured dignified travellers who stayed at the Big Apple Hostel.

Ruth, Rob, HK staff and the location make a huge difference in this otherwise mundane place.
Ruth & Rob are very informative and helpful. Ruth walks the extra mile to make extra coffee and make you smile. When a house keeper helped me with the bags she said it was a moral obligation to do it. I was deeply touched.

I saved so much on transportation because Times Square and Broadway were right at your feet. All the big stores, famous restaurants, and important places were nestled within a few square miles.
all one had to do was walk, walk, till sunset and more.
I also discovered many new places.

In the dorm sector, two beds to a room is very practical and spacious enough.
Few more items should be added to make the stay better.
A larger mirror is very important. The electrical terminals are as old as the hills. THE ONLY CHAIR IN THE ROOM WAS BROKEN.
The shared bathrooms are large, but only 90% clean.
Some areas need very little upgrades like a can of spray paint on a rusty pipe, or a door.
Door locks are loose and old. Yet, I didn't have any security issues. Linen was of good quality. Floor carpets are very old. Window blinds were falling apart.
The wi-fi service worked well in the small lobby where most people were.
The coffee counter is pathetic. When the coffee runs out, there is no replacement until Ruth makes some as a personal favour.

I understand that the owner is a very mean person.
THIS IS THE FIRST WORLD, NYC IS ONE OF THE FEW MOST POPULAR CITIES IN THE WORLD, THE NAME OF THE HOSTEL ITSELF TAKES AFTER THE FAMOUS CITY, LIKE A SIGNATURE DISH IN A GOLD STAR RESTAURANT, then why be mean? Why not provide the customers the little extra?
The hostel needs a total upgrade. The change must come from within. I mean, FROM THE HEART OF THE PERSON WHO OWNS IT.
HE HAS NOT REALIZED THAT WE ARE HIS BREAD AND BUTTER.

One can buy very good nearly-new or used supplies from the Charity Stores to make the place better.

It is surprising and strange that the NYC Mayor never had a law to inspect hostels.
I paid less than half the price in South American Hostels for a private room with attached bath and patio with a buffet b/fast and other superior communal facilities.

I will return to The Big Apple Hostel because the location is ideal, the staff are great, and the price is ok.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We booked a private room for a three night stay in New York and could not have been happier with our experience. The hostel is in an amazing location- right in Times Square and right next to a pub and a cafe with great food. Ruth checked us in, and she was incredibly friendly and helpful; later in the day, she even gave us some great coupons for places we were interested in visiting. Because of our coupons, we saved over $20 on excursions, so definitely don't ignore the friendly front-desk people! Our room was clean and quiet, and the woman who cleaned was extremely friendly as well. Prices were very affordable too! We go to New York every three months, and this will be where we stay from now on!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family