“Fantastic hotel”

JW Marriott Essex House New York
Ranked #245 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Terrific hotel in a brilliant location. Had Central Park views. Amenities were outstanding. Supersized queen bed, spacious room. Staff at front desk and concierge desk were always friendly and extremely helpful. High priced but high end quality to match. Location was brilliant. Walking distance to Times Square. Subway stations nearby and of course Central Park across the road. Highly recommend Essex House

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cas65
Maria F, Manager at JW Marriott Essex House New York, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was able to help you throughout your stay! We hope you will stay with us again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,872)

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed here 5 nights, checking in on December 31st we arrived quite early and our room was already ready so we were allowed to check-in at 10:45am which was great as I needed rest for our big night out. Every day we had maid service 2X daily. Once in the early afternoon and again at around 6pm-7pm nightly for turn down service with chocolates. The location is great and the rooms although small are larger than some of the NYC hotels we have stayed in previously. The lighting is very dim difficult to apply make-up unless you are in the restroom the there is no vanity bench in the restroom. We rested a late check and were given to 1pm which is 1 hour past the usual check out time after that they stored our lugage for us as we toured the rest of the city until our plane departed. All in all I would stay at the Essex House again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Oliver1124
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My family and I stayed here during one of our annual NYC holiday treks. Normally, we like to stay in the Times Square area, but we thought we would try the Essex House since it is new into the Marriott family. If you like old school charm and luxury, then you will like this property. It is located directly across the street from Central Park, and just down from Columbus circle. You can walk to Rockefeller Center from this hotel in 15-20 minutes. You are almost directly next door to the Ritz Carlton, and the infamous Plaza hotel is just down the block. Suffice it to say, you are in good hotel company at this location.

The hotel staff was quite accommodating, the rooms were clean and comfortable, and mainly updated. Although we had a few light switches from another era in our room that we just could not figure out, but it wasn't a big deal.

The Concierge lounge is on the ground floor and offers a nice breakfast, that was also available to us on the weekend, which is somewhat unusual.

We would definitely stay here again. A neat property from the days when each hotel had a distinct personality.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MarriotMan
Maria F, Manager at JW Marriott Essex House New York, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and you plan on staying with us again. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is a very lovely, quiet hotel directly across the street from Central Park and just one block from a subway station. The lobby and restaurant are gorgeous and display the original glory of the old hotel. The rooms are less quaint, but they are modern and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. I can't say it's a great value at $600/night, but this is NYC, so I guess its "reasonable" for the location.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank vanclaners
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Great hotel with a good location in Manhattan. Very spacious rooms with all the amenities you can expect from an hotel of this standing. The staff is excellent too and more than willing to help their guests. I enjoyed every single minute of my stay there. I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ahanoubon
Reviewed 19 January 2014

It's a JW Marriott so you expect the best - and the JW Marriott Essex did not disappoint. We stayed on the 19th floor with a nice view of CPS. The room and bath were first rate and extremely comfortable - if I had to spend more time in room I would not have been too disappointed. Centrally located, we were able to do quite a lot from Midtown to the Upper East/West sides. The executive lounge was perfect start to each day. But what really made this stay so nice was the top notch service - front desk, bellman, security, housekeeping and service. Everyone was very welcoming and glad we were there! Thank you for a great visit! We will see you again very soon!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cbmeier

Thank you so much for taking the time share your experience with us. We are overjoyed that you have such an amazing experience with us! All of our staff is so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we all hope to welcome you back soon! Thank you again!

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed there at the beginning of January and booked it through Priceline express deals. It is similar to Hotwire in the sense that you don't know the hotel beforehand, it only shows the area and the amenities. I could have booked cheaper hotels but I decided to try Central park south for 4 and a half stars for 160$. It turned out to be the JW Marriott house. I did not stay very long since I was there for only one night but I will give you my impressions about this quick stay.

PROS:
*Very clean!
*Good size room facing 58th street so I could watch Hercules storm:)
*When you book through third party websites where you end up paying at least half off, the front desk employees are not always the nicest but this is not the case here. Everyone was very nice.
*Very quiet hallways
*Comfortable bed...I slept like a baby!

CONS:
*I can't find much...of course, the carpet is a little frayed and there is wear and tear in a couple of places, but this is absolutely normal. I read one review that said that it looked like the Bates motel! I don't know where he stays usually, the Four Seasons? It is normal to be wear and tear.
*The restaurant connected to the hotel is very expensive...I have to find something!

I highly recommend it...I never pay 300$ for hotel rooms, this was the price on the website, so I was happy to get the room for 160$. At that price, I would return any day!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank cricri7