“Close but no cigar”

Ranked #252 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Chicago
“Close but no cigar”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

There is no doubt that the location and view are among the best in New York and perhaps the world. The previous management was excellent at making sure that everything was done to perfection. But with Marriott, you always feel that their is a disconnect between what they are telling you and what they actually do. For instance, we told them that the room needed to be allergy friendly. They assured us at check-in that this had been accomplished. When I woke up in the middle of the night and had trouble breathing, I discovered that in fact the bed was replete with feather pillows and the comforter was down. Then we wanted to have a small party for the Oscars in our suite. The one channel that didn't work was the channel broadcasting the Oscars. Everybody had to huddle up in the bedroom to watch the show. The night before we were checking out, they sent in a squadron of engineers to dismantle all the televisions in the suite, basically forcing us to evacuate until they were done. These are small things but they impact upon the overall quality of the experience. All that being said, there is nothing quite like waking up in morning and looking down the entire length of Central Park. I hope Marriott can get it together because this is a fabulous property.

Room Tip: Pay the extra freight to get a view of Central Park
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here many times. Out of date furnishings and decor are one thing but no hot water, no tv peeling walls, cracked and stained bathroom fixtures and no service are another. Marriott has done nothing since acquiring the property and Jumeirah let it get rundown leading up to to sale. There are many choices in the area and Marriott needs to do something to preserve the value of this otherwise amazing property.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Njgit
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here three nights this week and thoroughly enjoyed the stay! The property is very nice and and service is excellent.

Hannah at the front desk is super and so are the doormen and executive lounge staff.

Location is phenomenal.

Great place to stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Maria F, Manager at JW Marriott Essex House New York, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experince with us! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!
Boston, MA
Reviewed 7 March 2014

For some reason I tend to stay at a lot of different hotels in NYC. I am a frequent traveler and often stay at Marriott Hotels. I was in NYC for mixed business and personal and decided to use some points to stay at the JWM Essext House. I booked an upgraded room. The hotel lobby is very inviting. When i arrived they upgraded me to the next room type which was very nice. My room had no view. The staff was attentive and very helpful at check in. The room was very nice. Clean, large, up to date. There were a few signs of wear and tear on the furniture and wallpaper. I used room service a few times during the stay, it was above average and on the expensive side. More than once when i dialed both room service and the concierge, I got no answer and had to call back. The doorman was also absent several times when I went out the main entrance looking for a taxi. So the service in my opinion was spotty and why i reduced from 5 to 4 rating. The attached restaurant is very nice but I only drank there. I will go back and my make this my normal NYC hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BenfromBoston
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are glad to hear that you received an upgrade and that our front desk staff could assist. We appreciate you taking the times to share our areas that need improvement, we will take steps to improve these areas. We hope you will stay with us again soon!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I had decided to take my wife to NY for our 1 year anniversary and I stumbled across the Essex House; placed a request for some champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and of course a nice view! We arrived and it was all as expected and planned, perfect! The rooms are a bit small, it is after all New York, but the view was another story all on its own. We had breakfast at the hotel each morning before heading out and never had a problem walking or catching a cab right from the hotel. The feeling the lobby gave me reminded me of times when I traveled as a kid... outdated? Nah, I call it vintage. The feel and flow was perfect for us and the staff was extremely friendly; they even got us into a "2 week prior reservation" style restaurant for Saturday night. This trip was an extremely memorable one and we are so happy that the Essex House played a part in it!

Room Tip: Park View!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Mackinac Island, Michigan
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stay here last weekend for my birthday and it was just lovely! The location is perfect, across the street from Central Park, and down the street from The Plaza, 5th avenue, Columbus Circle, and so much more! We stayed in a junior suite with views of 57th Avenue, some construction, but isn't the city always under construction? The bellmen, Front Desk, security guards, etc. were all very kind, polite, and professional at all times. The lay out of the junior suite is perfect with the seating area, a tv that will turn to the area, king size bed, long desk area with drawers, and a great size bathroom. The bedding is very comfortable.

If you are booking this location to take advantage of the city attractions, are you 3 minutes from several subway stops, $35.00 car ride from La Guardia, 30 min walk through Central Park along 5th Avenue to The Met, 20 minute walk up 5h Avenue to Rockefeller Center, and surrounded by little restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: If you want a view, you will have to pay for a room facing Central Park.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Fabulous location right across the street from Central Park, easy walk to all kinds of shopping, museums and galleries. Quick 15 minute cab ride to most areas - the meat packing area for shopping and dining, Times Square, etc. Our room was a double queen, spacious and clean, with a large entrance (with closet) and good sized bathroom, not luxurious but nice. Our room didn't have a view over Central Park which was okay for us it was lovely and quiet (great dark room shades). In fact it was so quiet it was hard to believe you were in a big city so I would highly recommend the interior rooms. The front desk staff, bell hop and concierge were very helpful and friendly with good recommendations for dining. I hate that they charge you for internet, that's a policy that really needs reviewing, a bit archaic in these times. I would have loved to have a coffee machine in our room, most hotels either provide a keurig, nespresso, tea, free water. Our only complaint is that housekeeping seemed to be a bit slow and skimpy on the bath products. One day on our way out in the late afternoon we asked the front desk to make sure housekeeping serviced our room. They did but the fact that we had to ask shows that they need to tighten up that area. I would most definitely stay here again when visiting NYC.

Room Tip: The interior rooms without the view of Central Park are so nice and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family