“Good Food before the Show”

John's of Times Square
Ranked #701 of 14,732 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Child-friendly
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Located in a unique 19th century church, the country's largest pizzeria is the perfect budget-friendly location for small and large groups to enjoy NY's famous thin-crust, brick oven pizza. Founded in 1997, John's is conveniently located in Times Square, and is the ideal restaurant to enjoy pre- and post-theater meals with family and friends. Capable of seating 400 people, John's can handle groups of any size gracefully in a NY minute
Reviewed 26 January 2016

We were in a hurry to catch a bite 1.5 hours before the Broadway Show. They were good to give us reasonable approximation of seating before the show, the service was quick and polite, food was great, especially the calamari. Do not get intimidated by the long line of waiting customers. Also, couples find tables faster.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,291)

Reviewed 25 January 2016

I had it all planned. My first visit to New York, we were ticking off the sights and unknown to the other half I had secretly booked tickets to her favourite show, The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. So to make an experience out of it I chose to take her for a meal first where I could then make the big reveal. And where better then the fine looking Pizzeria across the street?

It would have been perfect, although I hadn't reckoned on one thing: Everyone in New York knew how good this place was. And they all turned up as well. We arrived to find that a 'one in one out' queue that stretched almost to Times Square had formed. The chances of getting in here before the show had been well and truly scuppered. Bobbins.

Not to be outdone though, instead we vowed to go after the show. Here we found ourselves in better waters, and were immediately wandered to a table. Considering the size of the queue that had greeted us earlier I had assumed the place must have been fairly small but I couldn't have been any further wrong. The place is actually massive, making the earlier line even the more impressive. People REALLY wanted to eat here.

Being on the later side now we ran straight into the main event. Wine choices where on the modest side, but hell, people usually go for Pizza and beer don't they? And when you get to the Pizza, this was one hell of a choice. The thing was frankly massive and properly tasty. It was almost a shame to let any of it go to waste. Sadly I fear that in this place that 'Eyes bigger then Stomach' syndrome is probably a regular occurrence: We had to admit defeat with two pieces left.

Staff where good if unremarkable. Our black pepper request was forgotten, although rectified when we asked another server instead, but considering the time of the night I guess a little 'minds already out the door' attitude might have set in. But seriously this is just nitpicking, the fact is undeniable, this place is astounding hence why it was so difficult to get in.

I had already looked at booking a table earlier in the week, just in case but they do not accept reservations except for large groups sadly. While this is a shame to a British Tourist like me the truth is considering how rammed they are they really don't need to. They are definitely never going to struggle to fill the tables considering their location and quality. So take my advice, if your hanging around Times Square, or off to see a show definitely come here. Just make sure you leave plenty of time to do it!

Reviewed 24 January 2016 via mobile

Excellent service! Good and service never disappoint!
The garlic rolls are to die for!
The pizza is huge and very good!
Salads are crisp & fresh!
Excellent selection of beers on tap, wines & cocktails!
We never miss this place! Perfect for an early dinner before a show!

Reviewed 24 January 2016 via mobile

All I can say is YUM! The inside of the restaurant is beautiful. The staff were friendly and helpful. If you love pizza, you will love this place.

Reviewed 23 January 2016

We visited John's Pizzeria after watching a Broadway show. Given the numbers that it caters for and the proximity to Time Square, we were expecting the worse. However, we had a very pleasant surprise. The food was delicious and very good value. Service was friendly and efficient.

The only disappointment was the poor selection of beers. There are some tremendous American beers but John's chooses to sell some of the mediocre big brands. What a pity.

Apart from that, John's Pizzeria is highly recommended