“Excellent food, service and atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: W 81st St.
Transit: MTA SUbway Lines B, C - 81st Street MTA Subway Line 1 - 79th Street
New York City, New York
“Excellent food, service and atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Their menu features "Italian coastal cuisine" and it holds true. Many fish dishes, often with inspired vegetable pairings, sauces, etc. Open only a few months, this place has a wonderful bar scene in front and a large, airy, light dining space in the back with high ceilings and a large number of skylights, which should provide lots of natural light during the daytime (we ate at night).

The service was attentive, the dishes served at an appropriate pace and the food was terrific. They provide freshly sliced, crusty Italian bread. Only negative was a relatively small portion for each of our entrees.

Altogether, a nice addition to the upper west side. Another plus is that it is just across the street from the Museum of Natural History and the Rose Planetarium, so it convenient for those who wish to stimulate their mind and then their palate in quick succession.

Approximate cost is $80 per person for 3 course dinner, drinks, tax and tip.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
AshelynVazquez, Guest Relations Manager at Corvo Bianco, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Hi Elliot,

Thanks for your feedback! We are definitely the place to stimulate your mind and your palate, especially with that special someone.

We encourage guests to try a few items from the menu and change portion size accordingly. We hope to see you again soon on your next night around town!

Bloomingdale, NJ
“This restaurant wins in all categories!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Decor- STUNNING and very unusual. Feels like being outdoors--tables spread widely apart and conversation possible even on a Saturday night. Food: DELICIOUS! All 3 home made pasta dishes were wonderful and the duck was outstanding. Service: CHARMING--young Italian waiter with a tremendous knowledge of the dishes and the wines. Even the ladies' room was beautiful. We plan to return often. This first visit we were in a hurry and didn't try any starters or desserts. We definitely need to return for a more leisurely meal. The pasta portions were small--not huge as they are in most restaurants .. In fact, they are too small, so if you are used to more, then order a starter. From the outside it looks as if it's only a bar, but the bar is widely separated from the restaurant which unfolds stunningly at the back. This is a very romantic space.

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! We are so happy you had a wonderful experience and we look forward to seeing you again!

New York City, New York
“FEAST for the EYES as well as the Tastebuds!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

A VISUAL as well as CULINARY experience! Yes, yes, yes!
If you have read any of my other reviews, you know two things about me: a stellar experience comes down to the people for me (always) and I am a bar girl who is also a student of wine so quality vino is crucial. And, lo and behold, on my first visit here last night, I could check off all on my list.

The space is a feast for eyes. Truly brilliant design. It is vast and cavernous and yet feels cozy. I would love to meet the designer of this space. We sat down at the long, REALLY beautiful bar and met John and Max immediately. By the end of the night, naturally, we knew their story. Great gents and they knew the wine list well and boy could they make cocktails. I felt like I was watching a professional mixologist. I stick to wine but again, I could have been swayed to try whatever they were making! These boys love their bourbons and ryes so ask them questions!

I had to take a walk to the back of the restaurant and it is true to the pics posted online and on the restaurant's website. Huge skylight, romantic, dark with lovely accents. You almost feel like you are in a forest but the sun is coming through the canopy of tress "just so". Really beautiful. But, back to the bar I went where I filled my glass with a de-lish Sangiovese that was the perfect balance of fruit, acid, and earth, and then we ordered the brussel sprouts app (yum), the soup of the day (a parm cheese broth based-ridiculous) and the meatball sliders (3 to a plate. Wish they had been a wee bit bigger but they delivered on taste).

But then, being the nerd I am, I had heard about the Somm, Enrique, and John quickly went to find him. SUCH a lovely man and exactly what I wish every Somm were like. Kind, friendly, open, not one ounce of pretension. He talked about his list with such enthusiasm and it was evident he had created it with much thought. He is studying for the MS (if you have not seen the movie, SOMM, do and you will understand the amount of craze-balls study it requires) but he said his 2 yr old daughter is the spotlight of his life so the test may have to wait (love). He shared with us a new Rhone wine that he added to the list just the night before and, being the classy gent he is, did not charge us for it.

I am thrilled to see Corvo Bianco in my "hood" and will be back ASAP. If you are not familiar with the Chef, Elizabeth Faulkner, a quick Google will solidify the talent and fantastic food you will be staring down (and chowing down). LOVE THIS PLACE.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your feedback!

We appreciate you for taking the time to write a fantastic review for us and are so pleased you understood what we are trying to do for each guest at Corvo Bianco.

Max, John and Enrique say hello! We hope you come back soon to try the new additions to the menu since your last visit.

Salute!
New Castle, New Hampshire
“Come just for the cocktails”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I would give this 5 stars but my brothers lamb was somewhat over done, that bing said the cocktails are fantastic! Have th Kale salad and the sweet breads for appetizers. Solid restaurant I will be back.

• Visited September 2013
Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback. We apologize that the lamb was cooked too well. We hope you come back and give our food another chance soon. There are so many new additions to the menu since you last visited, we're sure you won't be disappointed.

Salute!
Rochester, New York
“Excellent service and delicious food at reasonable prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Having watched Executive Chef Elizabeth Falkner on the Food Network, we were very excited to dine at Corvo Bianco during a recent trip to NYC. The restaurant has beautiful modern decor with a high ceilinged main dining room. We were impressed that the hostesses were elegantly dressed. The service was excellent from the moment we were seated until we were ready to leave.

We are not well versed in italian menu descriptions but the server was very willing to answer our questions. We were pleasantly surprised with the serving sizes. I had the quail and the dish included two quail. My partner had the steak and was not able to finish the entree. We saved room for dessert and we were not disappointed. We chose the tartufo and it is truly decadent. Absolutely one of the best desserts I have ever enjoyed.

Our dishes were cleared promptly, our water glasses were refilled regularly, and there was always a staff member nearby should you need something. Service is very important to me to complete a fine dining experience and Corvo Bianco understands this and delivers.

The highlight though was meeting Chef Falkner. She graciously stopped by when we mentioned to the manager that we came because of seeing the Chef on Food Network. She took the time to chat with us and have a picture taken. This created a very special memory for us. We will definitely return on our next visit.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your feedback!

Our Chef loves to speak to our guests and we are pleased you had a good experience. Please come visit us soon- there are many more memories to make with us!