“Worth Every Minute Waiting In Line & Every Penny Spent!!!”
Review of Sweetgreen

Sweetgreen
Ranked #602 of 13,763 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: Manhattan
Description: Founded in 2007, sweetgreen is a destination for delicious food that's both healthy for you and aligned with your values. We source local and organic ingredients from farmers we know and partners we trust, supporting our communities and creating meaningful relationships with those around us. We exist to create experiences where passion and purpose come together.
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth Every Minute Waiting In Line & Every Penny Spent!!!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

My oh my!

The lines here are always long and at the door which is certainly a good thing. This place is organic and they only purchase their ingredients locally! What are the odds!

I love salads and I decided to give this place a try and I'm hooked, so hooked that I wait in line for 20 minutes for their salads, yes 20 minute. I've tried various salads here and my favorite which is not even on the menu anymore because it was seasonal was the March Salad! This salad made me crave Sweetgreen day and night.

The March Salad consisted of half shredded kale, half organic mesclun, roasted sweet potatoes, caramelized onions, candied pecans, blue cheese and bacon. This salad is like an explosion of flavors in my mouth, sweet and savory combined. I'm so mad that the salad was only seasonal but I wrote down the ingredients and just do a custom salad that's close to the March Salad.

The staff here is pretty cool, it's assembly line style, you are offered bread at the end. I must admit some staff members are a little lost. Some of them do not listen but that's only a few bad apples in a large bunch. Sweetgreen receives a lot of business day and night!! Lines are long at night also, it's just that good here.

You will never regret going here, I haven't regretted it yet. Oh, they cAn get pricey here once you add protein and cheese. The Mint Lemonade is very tasty also.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
“Live Green, Eat Clean”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This quick service salad and wrap restaurant is strong on one particular practice among others, sustainability. Their food is organic and local, proteins are hormone free, antibiotic free and all-natural, they use 100% plant-based compostable packaging non derived from oil, and they use reclaimed and FSC certified materials in the construction of their store. Pretty impressive, huh?

I created my own salad with organic mesclun, local apples, mushrooms, raw beets and roasted sweet potatoes.

You can read my full review with photos at http://sprungonfood.com/2014/03/10/sweetgreen

• Visited March 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“Healthy fast food that tastes great”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Being new to the "make your own salad" idea, the staff were friendly and helpful and let me sample a few things. The end result was amazing. The produce was fresh, it tasted great, and the portion was easily enough for two meals for me.
If I lived in NYC this would be somewhere I'd frequent. As it is, I'll definitely be making a return visit or two during my stay.

• Visited December 2013
“Great!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Just to say, I totally agree with all the previous thoughts and superlatives that were given by the other contributors…
Its a great place, for everyone, but superb for vegetarians!

• Visited November 2013
Washington, DC
“Delicious and Healthy Food”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Sweetgreen, a growing chain, has just opened a restaurant in New York City, only a few blocks from Penn Station. It specializes in salads and soups. (The lentil soup was fabulous.) The restaurants primarily use locally grown food to reduce its carbon foot print. Certainly, one of the best values in the area.

• Visited October 2013