“Great restaurant for dinner before a play”

Playwright Tavern & Restaurant
Ranked #1,394 of 14,202 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Had the pleasure of eating here with a group tour before seeing a play on Broadway. They were able to seat our large party of 50 people upstairs, which was nice. We were given an option of a few things to eat and one soda. I cannot complain about that, since we were on a group tour and this makes it easier for them to serve us. I had the Fish and Chips and must say it was some of the best fish and chips I have ever had. Not greasy, wonderful flaky fish inside and the portion was large. Two very large pieces of fish, I could only eat one and had to sadly leave an entire piece behind. My only complaint about the evening was the soda had a funny taste to it. Everyone in our party agreed, although they said they tasted it and it seemed fine. I just stuck to water and was fine.

We did have to climb up a couple flights of stairs to get to our dining room and I'm not sure if there is an elevator in the old building or not but there was seating elsewhere in the restaurant.

Overall, it was a nice experience in a very old building. It would be nice to see what other offerings they had when you are not dining there as a "group." When we return, I will definitely stop by again and try a meal off of their regular menu.

Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Playwright Tavern & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thanks so much for your feedback! We are so pleased you and your group had a great experience and we hope to see you again the next time you're in NYC!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I stopped in for a drink and a snack before seeing a show. We tried a couple different of beers, and had the macaroni and cheese bites. The bathrooms were spotless! It was reasonably priced, and we were served quickly. Definitely would recommend eating there.

Thanks so much for your feedback! We are so pleased you had a great experience with us and hope to serve you again in the future!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Went to Playwright on the advice of a NYC resident friend. He said good and reasonably priced food, bars on two floors, fun place. He was correct. We found a plentiful menu, a variety of cold tasty beers, and a friendly and responsive wait staff. We had salads, which were above average, and also ordered two app dishes. The app "sampler" is too much food for one--it is meant to be shared. I got the wings (12)--perhaps the best wings I have ever had--they are huge--and I could not eat them all as my dinner entree. Be prepared to share!! I had forgotten that NYC restaurants typically tend to offer huge portions. Playwright is no exception.

Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Playwright Tavern & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thanks so much for writing a review about us! We are glad you took your friends' suggestion and that you had a great experience with us. Come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Looking for a real Irish restaurant and bar? This is it! Employees even had authentic accents. Fish and chips are huge as is the Shepherds Pie. Mostly Irish delights but a few American dishes to satisfy others appetites.

Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Playwright Tavern & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and realize us for what Playwright Tavern truly is. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We went here for dinner before catching a show in the evening. It's a perfect location if you want to eat close to the theatres around Broadway. The potato skins appetizer are great and were, by far, the best part of the meal. The rest of the meal, however, was also good. The portabella sandwich was great as well. The food is reasonable priced for the area. Look, we all know you're going to pay more in New York, specifically in Times Square, so once you get over that, it's a good experience. The $8 draft was a bit much, but if you check the specials board before ordering, you can catch a good deal. I'd go back again!

Thanks so much for your feedback! Please visit us again soon- it's always a pleasure to serve you.