“Touristy, but not terrible.”

Lunella Restaurante
Ranked #6,273 of 14,025 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Little Italy
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Face it - you are in Little Italy amongst dozens of options. There is definitely a get them in and get them out mentality and little in the way of differentiation. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that several of the restaurants are owned by the same folks. I knew this going in and wasn't disappointed. The food was of good quality and reasonably priced for the area.

The lasagna was really no more than some wide noodles and ground beef with sauce. There was no structure to it. There was hardly any cheese in it. I was unimpressed. But again, I knew not to expect much. I'm being generous because the waiter was polite and helpful and the prices were reasonable.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Tried this restaurant after a recommendation from a friend. So glad I did. The waiter was very nice to us. We needed to charge our cell phones and he went as far as getting a table ready next to an outlet for us. The food was devine. I tried the Gnocchi in Gorgonzola sauce. Best gnocchi I have ever had in my life! It melted in my mouth. Will definitely try to eat there again.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I'm Italian, and this italia, trust me, is a real Italian restaurant in Little Italy.
The owner, Lunella is an authentic southern Italy woman.
When i arrived there with a friend, i asked if some of them speack Italian, an she arrived beside me saying "certo, io sono di Bari" (of curse, i'm from Bari), in an authentic and funny Bari accent.

Let's talk of the service and food.
We asked for "orecchiette alle cime di rapa" and "lasagna al ragù".
The taste is the tipical Italian one, and also the cooking of the pasta was "al dente" that is the right cooking... at least for us in Italy.
The quality of the food is high and the service if fast and nice,even some of the waiter speeks italian.

The price is not low (a first couse was around 14$) but, considering the ggod quality, not exagerated.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

DON'T GO HERE! My husband and I went here for our 5 year wedding anniversary. We would have gone to a number of places, however this place looked like it had nice atmosphere and a variety of dishs at reasonable prices. We went to be seated and the waiters divided up a larger table set and made a spot for two and stuck us in the corner right under an exit sign. The whole time I was looking at my husband and he was glowing red! If that wasn't bad enough, I was ordering pene pasta with salmon in it. I asked if I could substitute the salmon for shrimp instead. He said sure...but it's $2 per shrimp! I told him then the answer to my question was NO...i could not substitute. $2 per shrimp...ridiculous! We each had something to drink and barely took a few sips and our meals were SLAMMED down on the table and the server just said"dinner" and left. It was served way to quickly. Maybe ten minutes later. The whole meal felt completely rushed! In addition no one came over to fill our water glasses when they were empty, not once! If all that wasn't bad enough, for the first time ever I was going to leave a bad tip. However I couldn't because something called "service" was handwritten on the check. When I called the water over to ask, he said that an 18% tip was automatically included! This place was horrible and I will never go back. Do not go there if you are looking for a nice relaxing dinner. You will not receive it.

5  Thank Emily K
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Visited Lunella while in NY on May 31. We were strolling through little Italy and thought the restaurant looked like a nice place to stop. The waiter was abrupt and rude from the beginning. ( We should have left like one party we saw) He seated us took our drink and appetizer order and immediately tried to upsell us. He kept askIng "is that all you want?" What about a meal? We explained we wanted drinks and appetizers and were made to feel very unwelcome because we weren't ordering more. Even though we spent $70, he gave the definite impression that he was dissatisfied that we didn't order more. He then added a $13.00 tip on the bill. The menu did not say this would be done and there were only 4 of us so not a large party. When questioned about the service charge he said "oh they did that in the restaurant, you can leave what you want." Very rude and pushy. Too top it off the owner accosted us outside of the bathroom and said we shouldn't have all come to the bathroom at once and should have planned better! Having lived in NY in the past, I was aware of places that are pushy to tourists and don't care if they return. Lunella was one of those places based on our experience. Will never return even though I come to NY frequently. Stay away if you value nice, professional service.

5  Thank byebyebye1045