“Reasonable Indian food, attentive staff”
Review of Mitali East

Mitali East
Ranked #7,165 of 14,304 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: East Village
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I met my friend there for dinner, The food was ok, nothing special but the staff was pleasant and attentive. This is the second Indian restaurant in NY I tried and must say that Indian restaurants in London are much better. My friend told me that this restaurant used to be better.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We are foodies with eclectic tastes and have been enjoying a broad selection of cheap and pricey restaurants in NYC since the 70's. 6th St in the East Village has a row of inexpensive Indian restaurants, and we have tried them all. Mitali is not only our favorite, but we believe serves better Indian cuisine that any other we have found in NYC, or even London or SF. Everything on the menu is as good as it gets. Enjoy the perfect Papadom with the three condiments - we need a second order - then start with the Mulligatawny soup, so fresh, subtle and complex. One of our standards used to compare Indian restaurants is Saag Panir (spinach w/cheese) - Mitali's is just right. The breads and other clay oven treats flawless. Every curry, seafood and vege dish is uniquely flavored and soooo good. Nothing is oily or boring.

How can they deliver such wonders for such a low price? Well, if atmosphere is your bag or you need a bright, cheery waiter to enjoy your dinner, this is not your spot. It's dark and a bit funky as other reviewers have pointed out. But if you want the very best Indian food, try Mitali.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

The food overall was good. But, the service was just downright bad. Upon entering, the host wanted to put us in the back of the restaurant at a table barely big enough for two. We asked to be reseated, twice. The restaurant was not full. Eventually we were seated where we asked to be initially. Then, I asked for water for the two of us. My water glass was filled, but not that of my dining companion. When placing the order for dinner, the waiter took that of my companion, but not of me. I had to ask to order dinner as well. (It seems that English might not be a strength of the wait staff. Either that, or this restaurant is in 'training' to be a place that people would want to recommend). However, at the moment, this is not a restaurant that I would recommend, regardless of the food quality. In addition, the bar staff do not understand what a good cosmopolitan is supposed to taste like. The food here is neither more or less expensive than other similar restaurants within the same neighborhood.

Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Two small appetizers, chicken curry with huge portion of rice and nan, ended with mango ice-cream, all these were only cost 12 dollars(service included). Chicken curry was so awesome, rice and was perfectly cook, samosa was ok, and mango ice-cream was amazing. Highly recommended for those who are tired of regular food in tourist area, Mitali is definitely great alternatives.

1  Thank TheNayzer
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Decent low-priced Indian food. Not byob, like the other Indian restaurants on the block. A little more upscale.