“ARTFUL COOKERY”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: SoHo
Cross street: Grand St
Transit: J, M, N, Q, R, W, 6, 1, 9, A, C, E trains to Canal. we are located on Broadway 2 blocks north of Canal St.
Providence, Rhode Island
“ARTFUL COOKERY”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I had the 3-course prix fixe dinner with wine pairings. The initial goat cheese salad combined a great selection of baby field greens with a well-integrated, albeit overly astringent, dressing. The wine pairing with this course was a super-dry sparkling which was not what I would have selected since it competed with the astringent dressing. I had the grilled scallops for the main course....absolute perfection and the wine pairing was exceptional....a Long Island Chardonnay, yes I said Long Island.....which, while oaked, was crisp and with well-rounded fruit notes....Wolfer Estates, if memory serves.....a must buy...unique among tired Chardonnays! The ricotta mousse cake for desert was exceptional with a well-selected desert wine.....finished with Illy espresso.....great atmosphere and attentive, engaged service. Great for a special dinner with friends.

• Polish first
Herts
“Good Food In Relaxed Atmosphere. Service A Bit Lacking”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We had the students' fixed price dinner here and chose our own wine from the list rather than take their wine pairing option. We both had pasta to start, which was good but not up to Italian standards and then branzino as a main course. This was very good and not overcooked as happens too often. The service was a bit eccentric: our aperitifs came quickly but our bottle of wine remained obstinately hidden until after our main course arrived upon which we found it was not properly chilled, so we had to send everything back while they chilled it (they gave us new main courses as we told them that we did not want reheated fish). However, we can forgive them this as they were friendly people and the atmosphere was very relaxed and informal in a nice room. A large party of French people behind us were having a very animated (friendly) discussion in French about the menu and one of the chefs came out to explain it to them (also in French); quite fun to listen to. A few people have remarked on the air-conditioning. It was certainly fierce and we had to have it turned off eventually. To summarise, an enjoyable evening with good food in an informal, friendly environment.

Los Angeles, California
“Excellent Food and Service is impeccable!”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I am celebrating my 5... birthday in New York City. Thanks to my son in law who suggested to have my birthday dinner at L'Ecole in Soho. This restaurant is run by the International Culinary School students. I was a little skeptical about my food being prepared by students, but decided to give it a shot. The ambiance is modern, calm, and cozy. We decided to get the pre fixe menu which included the appetizer, main entree, and dessert. They started us off by giving us French bread with carrot dip which was really tasty. Then came my octopus appetizer, which was tender and good. Then the main entree came which was the pan seared duck baked medium rare. It was the best ever duck I had! It had some cherry sauce which gave it a tangy sweet taste. Then my dessert came which was the coconut pana cotta similar to a flan but not sweet. This dessert is excellent. Everyone in my party was extremely satisfied with their dish. And the service was excellent. Our servers paid attention to us all the time. Our wine glasses were never empty. They replaced our plates often to insure that our table didn't get squeezed.
I've been at other restaurants in New York, but so far, this is the best I've been. It made my birthday a real treat!

1 Thank TerrieClemente
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“A nice place for lunch”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This restaurant is a nice stop for a tasty, well served lunch. I had lunch at the bar, very nicely served and had a tasty elegant experience

whitby
“Can't tell enough people about this gem!”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Go and enjoy. I had several meals in New York that cost $200 and should have been $80. This one was $110 ($150 with tip) and should have been $300.
With wine pairings and exceptional subtle tastes to make your taste buds sing this was one of my top 3 of all time.
Enjoyed a beautiful pâté , octopus , mussels and clams (curried was a surprise however the wine saved it) and Arctic char . The wine pairings were fantastic.
Desert with desert wine was superior.

Was a fixed tasting menu to chose from - but what choices.

Don't miss.