“It Had Its Day”
Review of Joe Allen

Joe Allen
Reserve with OpenTable
Joe Allen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #492 of 14,527 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Opened in May 1965 by Joe Allen himself, Joe Allen Restaurant in New York City has always aimed to serve good food at reasonable prices. With a casual, yet professional ambience, Joe Allen Restaurant is ideally located for several Broadway theatres, making it a great choice for a meal before or after the show. Joe Allen Restaurant in New York is open for lunch and dinner seven days a week, and also serves brunch on Sunday. The regional American menu changes daily and offers a wide range of choices. Accompanying your meal, the wine list features carefully chosen selections from around the world. The bar also stocks an impressive array of imported and draught beers.
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I hate to write this about Joe Allen's. It pains me to do so.
The service was poor. "Blank stares and bad attitudes" sums it up. The food has spiraled down hill. Even the burger was subpar. I must say the salmon was prepared well.

I hope this is an isolated experience. I have always been a fan of this establishment. Maybe the restaurant will want to rework its quite impersonal and rude staff.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I guess it was an off time because it was late afternoon and the place was empty. We were just walking around and this was one of the restaurants my daughter had on our list to visit. Coming from a large metropolitan city I never thought a popular place would be so empty! But moving on to the food it was pretty good. I had one of the specials for the day--Enchiladas. Chicken with sour cream, pico, and guacamole. It had a slight kick but not overly so. My daughter had the Salmon and said it was excellent. We had my super picky 6 y.o. Granddaughter and with no children's menu we ordered her the buffalo wings with no sauce, the fries were a side. We thought there were 6 wings but they gave her much more, too bad she only enjoyed the French Fries. I might like going after theater to see a different place. The staff during this time was as quiet as the restaurant which I love. Serve me and go away! So I suggest going when you might find a star or two but I think then you might need a reservation.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We had a very nice dinner at Joe Allen during a trip to New York with our 10-year old grandson. The atmosphere is a nice blend of sophistication and casual, so it’s good for adults as well as those dining with children. The menu is small, but does have a nice variety and my husband and I enjoyed cocktails, wine, and a delicious dinner, while our grandson was treated to a guacamole appetizer and a hamburger that he said was excellent! Bread was served at the table – when we asked for plates, our server said she would be happy to provide them, but encouraged us to just get the crumbs on the table . . . . perfect for kids! Desserts are very good, too, and are made on site. The service was excellent and the pricing is moderate for New York . . . enjoyed it!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We enjoyed dinner prior to seeing Beautiful. They know how to get you and out in time so that you will make it to your dhow on time. The food was good solid american chow. We had an outstanding waitress. Funny, attentive and helpful. A great ambiance if old time NY. I would certainly recommend for a pre theater meal. I would have liked to go back, or to Bar Central for an after theatre drink...maybe next time.

1  Thank cmsteer
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I've walked by Joe Allen for many years on Restaurant Row in NYC. Our experience last night was absolutely grand. The liver was great, the drinks top notch and a good pour. I hate to be a name dropper, but Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane were at the bar, and I didn't bother them with a pic, nor bother them at all. It's a visual is all it takes. Joe Allen is great for pre-theater, and making an 8pm time is no problem, but shoot for a 6:30 reso to ensure your timeline. Service: prompt. Attention to detail: prompt! Atmosphere is easy, and not loud.
Joe Allen's is great for pre-theater on 46th Street, and I'm a 20 year resident two blocks away on 48th Street.
I know that the lobster roll had good reviews, and the calf liver was succulent and tender, and not like the green overcooked liver in college days.
I'll be back for my theater nights!
-David Allen (no relation)